Search results

1. M

SUN E450 3d printed inspired build - name TBC

Panel printing wise is 4 sections, cut along the seam that is the door panels on the original E450, coincidentally will help me spray each section its own colour Panels will be secured together with glue and a dowel to create one solid panel. A chonk has been printing :D 21 hours later for...
  2. M

So many panels so little time! Need to finalise the design of the front panel, is just small things like how to secure each part of it together, panels fit nicely together though I need to go through all the 2020 profile and ensure everything is square and correct measurement, think some bits...
  3. M

Assembled majority of the frame now, also printed one of the 4 top panels overnight. Found that the length of the PSU's molex cable is more than enough for this so will have a load of spare molex extensions might flog em on ebay to recoup the purchase cost. Positioned stuff for the back...
  4. M

Played with the circular saw today so have cut some of the 2020 profile to what i need, ran out of the random orange/peach faded stuff so using a random roll of black for the time being.
  5. M

I might cut down the ones I have and resolder together to make them shorter, they were cheaper than buying parts to make them myself else I would have. And yea i intend to use the heat set inserts but for some bits that wont be screwed in/out often if ever will be just into the plastic...
  6. M

Printed a strip of the side panel to make sure everything fits and it does, though I found I did not have any 14-16mm M4 bolts so have ordered a bunch now. 20% infill, each panel being 42-45g of filament and about 3hr 30 to print Mockup of the frame (2020 profile not cut down)
  7. M

Busy time printing loads of bits and also waiting for things to arrive. Have now got in the M3 and M4 T nuts and a bunch of button head hex m3 bolts and 20 molex extensions, have got a PCI-E ribbon cable incoming as will be using that to transfer power from the "GPU power board" to the HP SAS...
  8. M

Yea i was thinking of having gravity help hold the drives in but then means cant access front or back of the thing easily to swap drives it basically makes it top loading only. Cooling will be done via the front panel and also rear panel with 140mm fans lined up with each drive cage, will also...
  9. M

Printed front chunk of drive cage overnight, this is the slightly revised one and its way better, will do the rear and middle over next few days, no pic for it as its dull. Did work on the design of the front panel, this will be one huge panel that clips onto the front of the server and also...
  10. M

Drive cage finished printing after 19 hours.... have now split it into 3 parts (rear, middle and front) so the prints can just be ran overnight and also not risk failing at say 18 hours in. Few tweaks to do, need to drop one of the drive support "struts" by 1mm, can also make it a little less...
  11. M

A little overview, I have a large fileserver (17 drives but needing more) and most NAS cases are expensive or do not hold many drives, I currently have two fractal design XL R2's one with motherboard and some drives in it, the other with additional drives and a HP SAS expander so it functions as...
  12. M

Fractal Design Define 7 / 7 XL for Desktop Form Factor Storage Chassis

Looks good though i THINK to get the max amount of drives you then need to use the drive cages which only handle 2 drives at a time....and then buy the drive trays by themselves too Hard Drive Cage Kit - Type B — Fractal Design For the XL " 3.5"/2.5" Universal drive brackets 6 + 2 included...
  13. M

EU 6TB HGST Helium SAS Drives <£79

12TB SAS Drives seem to go for about £200-250 in the UK so £20 a TB vs these being £13 a TB, UK prices and in general EU are higher than US too.
  14. M

HP P440 to SATA ?

Bit nasty but you could get a 8087 to external adapter then use external SAS to SATA cable to get your desired ports, though this is nasty it would work.......the cost of cables and the adapter probably cheaper to just grab a LSI raid card for <£30
  15. M

EU 6TB HGST Helium SAS Drives <£79

Found these whilst snooping around ebay Refurbished HGST 0F18370 6Tb Helium 7200RPM SAS 6Gbs 3.5" Drive, QTY discounts! | eBay Messaged the seller and they have roughly 1600 days powered on so a bit high but going strong as they are well past the common failure date ranges, seller is...
  16. M

Potential cooling problem

Its designed to be in a server so has airflow and thermal paste change should help, I do that with my cards too, no idea if it really helps but :)
  17. M

Some of the PCI Blowers can be quiet just get one that isnt 12V molex but a fan header kinda thing, you dont need alot of airflow over the card just a bit to help cool it, I have a 60mm fan in a PCI Bracket just below mine keeping it cool, have seen others use a 40mm fan. They run alot hotter...
  18. M

Get a little PCI Blower fan and shove it in the second slot from the bottom or install a fan in the bottom of the case (looks like you can)
  19. M

LSI SAS9200-16E -- Slow Performance Using 8+ Drives

The DAS might only be 6GB/s when its SAS drives.
  20. M

ga-p67a-ud7 motherboard + IBM M1115 LSI 9223-8i - bootloop

I know on some of the older LSi cards you had to tape over one of the pins when it was on a intel board so this might be it? Different card but https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/perc-h310-lsi-9211-8i-50.4540/#post-38155