Search results

1. U

Seagate Exos X16 in Synology

I just received a Seagate Exos X16 ST14000NM001G from serverpartdeals.com to use in my Synology. The listing said 512e/4Kn and I'm wondering if I need to do something about the low level format before putting it into the NAS. Thanks
  2. U

New Cisco Small Business WiFi6 AP

Stumbled upon this reasonably priced AP and was wondering if someone here had experience with it. It looks like they are targeting Unifi and TP-Link Omada customers. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/business-100-series-access-points/business-access-point-ds.html...
  3. U

One Ruckus R600 restarts occasionally

I have 3 APs running Unleashed and connected using Ethernet cables and it looks like Ruckus \2 is periodically restarting. How do I figure out a solution? Here's the latest AP log. Ruckus1 uses a DC wall wart while the others use midspan injectors.
  4. U

No more entry level mini tower servers?

Several years ago, I bought a Lenovo TS140 with entry level specs and have been happy using it as a light duty server running ESXi6 and now ESXi7 but it appears that VMware is going to drop support for Haswell CPUs soon. So I thought I'd buy a more recent prebuilt version of a Dell/HP/Lenovo in...
  5. U

i5-4570T vs i5-4590T for light hypervisor cluster

I'd like to buy some Micro/Tiny PCs and set up a beginner homelab Proxmox cluster and can either buy them with i5-4570T CPUs with 2 cores and 4 threads or i5-4590T with 4 cores and 4 threads for only a little more money. You'd think the decision would be obvious but the former is 2.9-3.6GHz...
  6. U

CableCreation USB 3 Type-C 2.5GbE adapter for $20

The one reviewed on STH with a USB-A connector is $30 on Amazon while this one with a USB-C connector is $20. The only difference is the type of USB connector https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VQJ468M/
  7. U

Testing limits of home Ethernet wiring

We started out with 100Mb connections in our home-run wired house and, over time, moved up to gigabit connections without incident. I recently ran a couple of 10Gb links in my home office using DAC cables and am now thinking I should test the in-wall wiring to see whether any of the cables can...
  8. U

Netgear 16-port web/smart managed gigabit switch

I'm looking to upgrade the unmanaged distribution switch to something with a few features like statistics and VLANs and the Netgear GSS116E seems like the right form factor for my closet. However, a reviewer on Amazon warned that Netgear gear likes to "phone home" occasionally. Another reviewer...
  9. U

HBA in PCI-E x16 slot in a Lenovo TS140?

I just got a TS140 and would like to add a 4i+4e HBA. Has anyone been able to use a PCI-Ex8 card in the PCI-Ex16 slot usually meant for graphics card? Thanks