Search results

1. SamDabbers

Proxmox Virtio Win drivers above 10Gb?

There's nothing specifically limiting Virtio to 10Gbit except the speed of memory copies and efficiency of the hypervisor in processing the guest interrupts. The adapter just shows the link speed as "10Gbit" to the guest but that doesn't mean it can't possibly exceed that throughput (for...
  2. SamDabbers

Virtualizing my servers

I agree with the "don't virtualize your firewall" unless you run TWO pfSense VMs on TWO different servers and cluster them. Then as long as one box is up you won't have downtime.
  3. SamDabbers

Shotcut as a network Renderer

One thing you can try is exporting with a fast encoder preset at a very high bitrate from Shortcut (e.g. x264 veryfast 50000kbps), use ffmpeg to segment it into chunks, and then use MPI to schedule the cluster jobs to reencode each chunk (hint: each thread needs to use a different input file)...
  4. SamDabbers

Shotcut as a network Renderer

It sounds like you want a "divide and conquer" approach where each system in the cluster renders a segment of the video, then the controller concatenates the segments together at the end. The trick is to split the input into segments first, then use a tool like MPI to schedule the render jobs...
  5. SamDabbers

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

SwOS does support LACP on these models. The documents indicate that it will support 1G SFP modules, and it doesn't seem to have a whitelist. I'm using SFP+ modules from FS.com flashed for Intel cards with my T1700G-28TQ and they work fine.
  6. SamDabbers

FS: 10x S3700 200GB [ALL SOLD]

@andytyk said they all have the latest firmware and are set to negotiate 6Gbps SATA now, so they should be plug and go :)
  7. SamDabbers

Well, for what it's worth, these Dell drives seem to work and perform well in my testing since upgrading the firmware and correcting the SATA link speed setting last night. I don't anticipate that I'll need to mess with them again any time soon. Good luck with your side project @ullbeking. I...
  8. SamDabbers

Luckily the quirks for these Dell branded SSDs are very easy to work around. I agree; if I was buying for serious business purposes, I'd definitely go for new parts with a warranty and support. Given that I purchased them for use in my home lab, and for a good price, I don't even mind that I had...
  9. SamDabbers

The isdct set command fixed it right up. Having an SSD negotiate to 3Gbps is a strange default for the firmware to have. Thanks @Marsh! For those wondering how to apply the latest firmware update on a non-Dell machine, you need to have the SSD connected to an LSI-based SAS controller. Dell's...
  10. SamDabbers

The two SSDs I received work fine, and with a little fiddling I was able to update the firmware to the latest Dell DL08. Heads up: these drives (SSDSC2BA200G3T) are locked to SATA 3.0Gbps, so will top out at ~300MB/s transfers, which is well below what they're capable of.
  11. SamDabbers

Messaged you! Edit: Paypal sent for two. Thanks!
  12. SamDabbers

Where to buy genuine Intel NICs?

I have a genuine Intel branded i340-T4 for sale. The main difference is that it doesn't have SR-IOV capability. Message me if you're interested.
  13. SamDabbers

A silly Question, is there a better alternative to pfsense for home use?

I wonder if pfSense/OPNsense can be shoehorned into a FreeNAS VNET jail. That might be an interesting and relatively low-overhead setup for those who already run a 24/7 FreeNAS server. Of course you could just run it as a VM, but where's the fun in that? :)
  14. SamDabbers

FS: Supermicro server, drive trays; ERL, switches, NICs, H310 + more! Closet cleanout sale!

It's time to find new homes for the gear I'm not using. Here's what I got: Supermicro SYS-5015A-EHF-D525 server with 3GB RAM and dual 2.5" drive bracket - $99 shipped SOLD! to @Zac King 1x Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - $50 shipped SOLD! to @laserpaddy 1x Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - $50 shipped 2x...
  15. SamDabbers

FS: Fluke Kit, PCIE SSD , DDR3/4 ECC RAM, 48P-POE SW, SAS2 HBA and more

I'll take your 16gig Kit - 2 Sticks :: Crucial UDDR3 1600 ECC for $75
  16. SamDabbers

Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A $12 obo + $15 Shipping

Here's a new listing with full-height PCI brackets for $30 shipped: Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP PCI-e Card Adapter ConnectX-3 | eBay