Search results

1. Y

What SFP28 25G for pfsense Homelab Firewall?

Hi all, I once again need the advice of the pro's. You all :) I am currently running pfsense 2.6 on a Supermicro M11SDV-8C-LN4F. But I need to upgrade to 25G. So I thought I asked you on advice and possible caveats on upgrading. Possible options are: - Dell 540-BCNI Card (hopefully just a...
  2. Y

What would your choice be Atom C3858 QAT or Epyc 3251 (OpenVPN / FreeNAS and a little VM)

Hi there, Since I and google have not been able to figure this one out I thought why not ask you guys. I want replace my homelabs Edge Router X SFP with a more All-In-One Solution, but maybe I am dreaming of something non-existing... Since energy costs in europe are a strugle and I had to move...
  3. Y

Planing 40Gbps Ceph Cluster Lab Build - Gotcha / Pitfalls?

Hi there, Already almost hijacked the thread of boe so I thought I start a new one here. I wanted to learn / experiment and tryout building a ceph cluster as a storage array network for my ESXi compute cluster lab. So my idea was since I already have 24x 8TB HDDs from WD (buy one more so its...
  4. Y

Intel Optane 900p - Lets go IOPS crazy

Hi there, Since I had the time to toy around a little bit more with my Fast-Tier Storage. I thought why not boot from one of my DC S4600 and just make a test of a stripe on two Intel Optane 900p. With very very crazy results... see for your self. 4k 0% Read 100% Random 4k 100% Read 100%...
  5. Y

VMware vSAN Performance :-(

Hi there, After successfully building my SDS Cluster I tinkerd around for about 3 days configurating everything how I wanted (jbod / raid0 mode, updating all the fw's and bioses, checking all the vibs for all the components etc.) today I finally was had all 3 nodes up and running esxi 6.5u1...
  6. Y

Fast-Tier Storage

Build’s Name: Fast-Tier Storage Operating System/ Storage Platform: HP ProLiant DL380 G7 CPU: 2x Intel X5670 @ 2.93GHz (6 Cores each) Motherboard: HP ProLiant DL380 G7 Chassis: HP ProLiant DL380 G7 with SFF Expension for 16x 2.5" Drives Drives: 10x Samsung 850 Pro RAM: 196GB Add-in Cards: LSI...
  7. Y

Qnap TS-EC1279U-RP with not Qnap Expension possible?

Hi there, I know its kinda silly question... but I was thinking about trying to expand my Qnap TS-EC1279U-RP. Since it only has 12 drive bays which are all occupied already... So they offer these REXP 12xx and REXP 16xx which are insanely expensive (as far as I could tell) if they are just...
  8. Y

ESXi SAN Install / Boot (HP BL460c Gen9)

Hi Guys, I am lost once again... And I actually dont know where else I should ask. Since I know that that here are a lot a Server Admins / Enthusiasts / Freaks (like me) / Homelab Geniuses and Professionals. I hope I find someone who can point me in the right direction. I run a HP BC C7000...
  9. Y

Home Lab V2 upgrade

Hi guys, Since this is my first forum post I really wanted to say thank you for this great blog and the work you guys put into it. Your blog is one of the sites I visit daily. I love to read the news, reviews, tests and advices of you guys. You guys inspired me to build my first home lab which...