Search results

1. cafcwest

XMR: Moving from Minergate to mineXMR

Hello all, After reading the comments here and elsewhere, and constantly not achieving what mining calculators said I should be achieving, last week I moved my 9 miners to mineXMR.com. For reference, I have 5 Xeon 5600 era Windows servers running Stak-CPU, 3 of the same server running Ubuntu...
  2. cafcwest

FS: (4) Intel 320 Series 300GB SSD

More lost and found in my office! These have been used in the test lab for VM storage on a very occasional basis. $65/shipped each. Will combine shipping and cut a deal for a bulk buyer. Heath reports from SSD toolbox attached. I have detailed CSV SMART exports that I am happy to email to...
  3. cafcwest

FS: (4) Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD

Found these in my cleanup last night. Used as local datastore in an ESX host for 1-2 months for a short project, then forgotten about until now. $65 USD shipped each in the CONTUS. Also accepting Monero! Will cut a deal if someone wants multiples. Located in Richmond, VA.
  4. cafcwest

FS: (2) Supermicro 5015A-H (X7SLA)

Unloading some old gear I found in a container that never got unpacked post office move. (2) Supermicro 5015A-H barebones servers (with Atom 330 X7SLA motherboards) that were used for ~18 months as a pfSense firewall cluster. In addition to the base barebones, these servers include the...
  5. cafcwest

WTB - A lot (16+) sticks of DDR3 server memory

Hi there, Hoping someone is like me, and can't stand to throw away working hardware, and has a pile of RAM sitting on the shelf. Not terribly picky, just looking for large groups of spec matching DDR3 server (registered) memory. Can be as small as 1GB sticks. Just need to populate all the...
  6. cafcwest

SSD cache drive for VMWare vSAN?

Hi all, In the process of rebuilding my 8 node lab with ESX 6.5. I've enjoyed my experience with ScaleIO under Windows, but I'd like to try deploying vSAN to gain experience with a product I have a greater chance of using in my day job. Once change I will need to make at a hardware level to...
  7. cafcwest

Making sense of Intel network adapter generationsHi

Hi all, I was wondering if there was an easy reference tool that shows the different generations of Intel network adapters and what all features they contain, or easy way to learn to identify different generations of hardware? (outside of having to look each device up on ARK) For example, I...
  8. cafcwest

Dell H200 virtual disk sizing issue

Hello, Running into a small issue with an H200 that I purchased used on da' bay. I cannot configure the virtual disk size when I perform an array configuration. In the controller itself, I simply do not see the option to specify the virtual disk size. In OpenManage, no matter what size I...
  9. cafcwest

Dell H310 vs. 2012 R2 Storage Pool for Hyper-V storage

Hello All, Adding some storage to my 2-node Hyper-V cluster. Taking all the spinners and moving them to the secondary host, replacing the storage in the primary host with (4x) Samsung 850 Pro 1TB's with some OP. All of this in a Dell PowerEdge T610 server that supports about a dozen VM's that...
  10. cafcwest

FS: Supermicro SYS-5017C-LF (X9-SCL-F) / E3-1260L build

FS: Supermicro SYS-5017C-LF (X9-SCL-F) / E3-1260L - $550 shipped With a few chassis full of C6100 nodes, I'd like to sell my old utility VM host. Built this about a year ago, very little usage as it was not primary/production. As in, probably only even powered up 3 of the 12 months since...
  11. cafcwest

Silkwork 4100 FC switch, 10 various Qlogic FC adapters

Refreshing the test lab, so I'm clearing out this gear. Posting on STH first before they go onto Fleabay. (1) Silkwork 4100 4Gb Fiber Channel 32-port switch. Dual power supplies, 29 SFP's. We acquired it to use with ESX in the test lab, but have since decided not to fool with either. I have...
  12. cafcwest

Dell PowerEdge 1950's/2950's, 7 total

Refreshing the test lab, so I'm clearing out this gear. Posting on STH first before they go onto Fleabay. (2) Dell PowerEdge 2950 III. I upgraded them to dual L5420's. 32GB RAM (8x4GB), dual power supplies. Rack rails. Standalone DRAC card's (don't know the revision number) Currently...
  13. cafcwest

SSD's for VM storage

I am currently building up a test environment for virtual desktops. It is Hyper-V based, using local storage, and will have Hyper-V Replica running in the background - I feel it important to note this last bit because the build out relies more on the clustering of hosts for redundancy than...
  14. cafcwest

Decode/Decrypt/Understand Supermicro chassis codes

The following may be common knowledge, but I was at quite a loss, and found the details in the following email with SM quite helpful. I hope it is found useful to others. We are discussing the SC216 chassis, but this should apply to all. For the chassis naming, A means the chassis uses...
  15. cafcwest

Mounting an Intel RES2CV360 36 port SAS2 Expander

Poking around the internet, I came across the this expander. Searching around the forum here, and a few other places, I did not find much info about it. Seeing as the excellent Intel RES2SV240 24-port Expander was built on the LSISAS2x24, I would assume this expander is built on the LSISAS2x36...
  16. cafcwest

Dell PowerConnect 5424 vs PowerConnect 2824

Thought I'd run this past you guys and get some additional perspective. Considering building a colocated infrastructure based around the now popular Dell C6100. Initially looking for two LAN switches, plus a single back-end (backup network) switch. This last one is not a storage network...