Search results

1. B

When do you upgrade to save on power?

That was kind of the conclusion I was coming to as well. Do people also consolidate and upgrade drives to save on power? I've been waiting for these old 2-5TB drives to conk out, but they just keep chugging. My last failure was an 8TB WD Red a year ago.
  2. B

When do you upgrade to save on power?

I've had a R510 for about 3 years. It's a 12-bay that's fully populated with a mish-mash of 2-14TB drives (and a couple of 2.5" SSDs), a single X5670, and 12GB of RAM. It's actually way more power than I need for running Drivepool and Plex (no transcoding), but it's a nice 2U form factor (I...
  3. B

Replacement for Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gb NIC

I ended up going with the Dell: Dell Broadcom 5711 Dual Port 10GB Ethernet Network Adapter 0KJYD8 KJYD8 | eBay It boots up and reboots without errors, so that's great. However, it's crashing the box every time I try to turn on jumbo packets or install new drivers. Performance is still...
  4. B

Replacement for Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gb NIC

I just have a single server, a Dell R510 running Server 2016, and a desktop linked by a pair of Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gb NICs. No switch. The NIC in my desktop just failed, so I am looking for a replacement. These cards have always been just a little wonky for me, forcing me to disable/enable...
  5. B

Replacing 8TB WD WD80EFAX - 14TB Exos X16 ST14000NM001G?

The timing of this drive's failure isn't too timely as I just missed the Black Friday 14TB Easystore deals. I have a shucked WD80EFAX that is out of warranty and it continues to degrade in my R510. 14TB drives seem to give the best $/TB ratio right now, and ServerPartDeals on ebay is selling...
  6. B

Anyone have a problem with BitDeals Tech?

Guess I'll close the loop here. I stopped receiving notifications of new posts on this thread. The dispute was eventually resolved in my favor only a few months ago. I asked my credit card company to produce the emails they allegedly sent me about the delay (I received no communication from...
  7. B

Anyone have a problem with BitDeals Tech?

Back on April 15, I ordered 3 drives from BitDeals.tech. I noticed the banner at the top of their page said they were prioritizing orders for COVID-19 related businesses and organizations. On the 21st I asked if they had an update or an estimate for when my order might ship, as I had not heard...
  8. B

Looking for Used/Refurb Dell Server Seller

I've bought both of my R510s from PC Servers and Parts. Had an issue with one of them, but they took care of me. Would buy from again.
  9. B

Max drive size for flashed Dell H310 HBA?

So basically it might work. Not particularly encouraging, but that's the lifespan of hardware. I also found this page that appears to be a great reference for what controllers support 4kn: 4Kn LSI Compatibility List Some of the cards are not all that expensive. Under $50. From what I...
  10. B

Might as well derail my own thread. Support for 4KN drives seems spotty at best. I've considered buying a used enterprise drive, but they all appear to be 4KN which I don't believe is compatible with my H310. I take it that's just the way it is with this old card?
  11. B

TL;DR - there is no mention of the card in there. Seems like it depends on the firmware version. I believe I'm on P20 since I followed this guide, though that was a couple years ago: Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310 So I'm still fairly sure I'll...
  12. B

My Dell R510 server is growing, and I'm planning to add another drive (using DrivePool w/duplication). Looks like the 14TB EasyStores are the best bang for the buck when they're at $180. Anyway, the biggest drive I have in the server right now is an 8TB. I've seen some running 10TB, but...
  13. B

Decent KVM switch?

Wow, that is a crazy expensive desktop switch.
  14. B

Decent KVM switch?

I have a couple of R510s in a rack, and I'm looking for a decent KVM switch. Don't need anything fancy, but 4 ports might be nice if I ever expand. Does not need to be rack mountable as I have a wooden shelf for my monitor and keyboard that I can just mount it to. I'm considering one of the...
  15. B

Server Rack: DIY or buy?

Finally got one on CL for $90 - it's a full Dell cabinet with a couple of full length angle brackets. I'll turn those into shelves with some plywood and pick up some rapid rails for my R510s. BTW, a full size rack will fit through a standard 6' 8" door - but only after you remove at least one...
  16. B

I've contacted a few people on CL for racks, but have not been able to close the deal. They have either been snatched up quickly, or the seller flakes out. I am not a facebooker, but I will keep shopping. I think I've decided that I only want square hole racks, preferably a full rack. They...
  17. B

Well I'm back on the hunt. The seller is now backtracking on the offer, saying it should have been $234 and not $134. So much for integrity these days.
  18. B

No rails yet. I'll need to order some. I believe these are the cheapest sliding rails available for the R510: Dell 61KCY PowerEdge R510 R520 R720 R820 R830 2U Sliding Rail Kit Y8P81 R194R 635111227406 | eBay I actually just bought a rack on ebay. I've got to drive to Delaware this weekend to...
  19. B

I'm keeping my eyes peeled. My motivation was spurred on by having to reseat the HBA in my R510 after every reboot, and the way I have my equipment strewn over my basement shelves, it was getting to be a chore.