Search results

1. F

US - FS: SUPERMICRO SYS-5018A-FTN4 1U Rackmount Server - Atom C2758 + 32GB Ram | Tp Link T1700G-28TQ - 4 SFP+ and 24 1gig RJ45 managed fanless

5018A-FTN4 | 1U | SuperServers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. Comes with 32g (4x8gb) memory installed. It has 4 MEM-DR380L-HL02-ES16 bought directly from the supermicro eStore. Rackmount ears included Comes with a pci-e riser card and one pci-e slot. Owned since 2017, case has some...
  2. F

US - FS: Tp Link T1700G-28TQ - 4 SFP+ and 24 1gig RJ45 managed switch - fanless

I'm selling my Tp link switch as I no longer use rackmount gear. It's been in service for a few years, has some scratches on the case but in perfect working order. Comes with rackmount ears. $120 shipped anywhere in the continental USA.
  3. F

Strange motherboard POST issue when disconnecting the power

Hey everyone. I've got a Supermicro MBD-C9Z390-CGW-O. It's a desktop class motherboard. I have a really strange issue with it. When the system runs, everything is perfectly stable. However if I disconnect the power, the machine has trouble booting. After disconnecting the power, I turn it...
  4. F

What VM host do you use for FreeBSD guest?

Hi everyone, I've been running FreeBSD (currently 11.1) / ZFS on baremetal for nearly 10 years at home. I just upgraded the machine to a new Supermicro Xeon Scalable platform. I am now considering running something else on the host and run FreeBSD within a VM, along with other linux vms...
  5. F

New Supermicro x11sph-nCTPF won't power on

Hello everyone, I just got new parts to upgrade my system. I ordered a SuperMicro X11SPH-nCTPF motherboard, an Intel Xeon Silver 4114 CPU, and some 32GB DD4 2400 RDIMMS. Everything arrived today but I'm having a problem. When I connect power to the board, the BMC starts up and I see the...
  6. F

Displayport 1.2 (MST) graphics card on FreeBSD that actually works?

I'm having a hell of a time with getting a working graphics card on FreeBSD 11.1. I don't want to play video games or do anything heavy like that. I just need something reliable and low power that can do displayport 1.2 with the MST (multi-streaming technology) feature to power 2 screens with 1...
  7. F

Idle power usage for Intel Xeon Silver Models

Has anyone done an independent study of the differences in idle power usage for the different Intel Xeon Silver chips on the same hardware platform? In particular I'm interested to know if the 4108 has a large enough reduction in power usage to make that a compelling factor when compared to the...
  8. F

Home Lab: 10G SFP+ vs 10G Base-T in 2017 Q3

Do you guys still recommend SFP+ over 10g Base-T nowadays for homelab use? Now that 10 gig networking is quickly becoming mainstream I expect 10G Base-T will become more common, especially on consumer desktop systems. That means also the cost of 10G Base-T switches will need to come down. It...
  9. F

10gig - Random disconnects

I've noticed some random disconnects with my 10g network connection. The setup is: FreeBSD 11.0 Server <-> Chelsio T520-SO-CR 10g nic <-> FiberStore DAC cable <-> TP Link T1700G-28TQ I see these in my dmesg on FreeBSD cxl0: link state changed to DOWN cxl0: link state changed to UP I also...
  10. F

Easy SuperMicro Security Hole: IPMI failover mode by default

So I've been using a Supermicro 5018A-FTN4 system as my shiny new pfsense router. I have crap Att U-verse internet, which requires setting up a double NAT. I was debugging a port forwarding issue and I noticed on the att router there was another machine connected. This made no sense, as the...
  11. F

Adding active cooling to a 10g pci-e nic

Does anyone have experience with adding active cooling to a 10g pci-e nic? In particular, I've got a Chelsio T520-SO-CR. After putting it in my box and booting up, its running at 88 degrees F idle with no cables plugged into it. Its very hot to touch. The card is rated up to 131 F. I'm...
  12. F

Boot from NVMe sdd on Atom C2758 platform?

SuperMicro has this Atom C2758 board with an 8x and 4x pci-e slots. Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRM-2758F Do you see any reason why if you configured the bios to uefi mode it would fail to boot from an NVMe ssd plugged into the 4x slot? From what I understand, some...
  13. F

FS - SuperMicro SC721TQ-250B Mini-Tower (4 SAS/SATA hotswap + mini-itx) - used

I have for sale a used SC721TQ-250B chassis. Its a small tower which fits a mini-itx motherboard. It has 4 SAS/SATA hotswap bays using a TQ backplane. It also supports an internal 2.5" drive and has one low-profile PCI slot in the back. I was using this with one of SuperMicros Jbod power cards...
  14. F

Thunderbolt 3 to SPF+ Options

I was considering options for thunderbolt 3 to SPF+. The idea is to give your laptop easy 10g network access. This can help speed up syncing media to your laptop for travel. You could go as high as 40g SPF+ before saturating Thunderbolt 3. This looks like the ultimate docking station. You...
  15. F

Why doesn't SuperMicro uses 120mm fans in its rackmount cases

It looks like SuperMicro really likes to use 80mm and 92mm fans even in its larger 4u cases. Why don't they use 120mm fans in their chassis? I would think they would be quieter. Are the larger fans not as efficient or bad in some other way?
  16. F

Do you buy optical transceivers from ebay?

So now I'm trying to figure out SFP+ cabling for my new TP-Link 1700G-28TQ switch. Obviously, buying all this fiber stuff new is expensive. Some people are selling the TXM431-SR transceiver new for more than I paid for the switch! And then there's this, which if legit is a hell of a deal at...
  17. F

Quiet Xeon-D in 1u. Has anyone achieved it?

Hi everyone, I'm building a new pfsense router for home use and am choosing hardware. I'm currently looking at the 2 options below: 1. SuperMicro 5018A-FTN4 - Intel Atom C2758 cpu Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5018A-FTN4 2. SuperMicro F018D-FN8T - Intel Xeon D-1518 cpu...