Search results

1. O

512Gb RAM Apartment Server?

@Monoman @Evan Good point - the 2Tb 850 EVO only has an endurance of 150Tb, so I'd realistically get about 2 years out of them. For twice the money I can get the 2Tb 960 Pros that are rated to 1.2Pb, which for this use case is forever. :) I'll go with Evan's suggestion and get everything...
  2. O

Updated Build 3/26/2017 (also edited first post) Thanks for all the helpful advice - this is shaping up nicely! Build’s Name: Big RAM - Small Apartment Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2016 DC, Hyper-V VMs CPU: 2x Xeon E5-2683 v3 ES/QS 2GHz 120W ($350 on ebay) CPU Cooler: 2x...
  3. O

@nk215 @Rand__ Splitting into multiple boxes isn't really an option - partly because primary and failover DB need 128Gb each and 10GpE network to shared storage, so that takes me to 2 boxes + network and cables, and partly because it is a really small apartment and I don't have the room :) I...
  4. O

@Klee That's a beautiful setup! How does the Phanteks do at noise control under load?
  5. O

Cool, more to process! @Patrick - That is a sweet price for the SM tower! I'm nowhere near ready to pull the trigger yet, but if you've still got it in a few weeks I'll be really tempted - where is "local pickup" for you? For the CPUs, I've been watching the ES models on ebay (those prices...
  6. O

Holy information overload, batman - you folks rock! v4s will be lower max TDP at the same core count & speed big cases are easier to quiet/cool stick to 16-slot RAM since LRDIMM is massively slower (dang, I had no idea!) the Fractal Design cases are gorgeous, but limited to ATX mobos the SM...
  7. O

Edit: Updated Build 3/26/2017 Thanks for all the helpful advice - this is shaping up nicely! Build’s Name: Big RAM - Small Apartment Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2016 DC, Hyper-V VMs CPU: 2x Xeon E5-2683 v3 ES/QS 2GHz 120W ($350 on ebay) CPU Cooler: 2x Noctua NH-U14S 55.0...