Search results

1. D

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

By acknowledging, you mean like the very first line of my response to s0lid where I acknowledged his work and ability? So we had a little exchange on the definition of 'better', which was really just a misunderstanding of context. These things happen, there is no need to be bitter about it...
  2. D

As explained previously, it is not my solution, people here have been using the 11-wires method for months. The reason I posted the pictures and translated the text was a response to a fellow member who needed help to run his own c6100 without the full chassis. Anyone with old PSU wires and...
  3. D

I've already explained why it wasn't simple enough, I suggest you re-read my posts before you mock my replies. Complex or not depends on who you ask, if you ask a modder then of course he'll say it is simple, but it's safe to say less than half the people who visit this site even have a...
  4. D

I just explained why that wasn't simple enough, did you even read it? Check the entire edit history, I made multiple edits before and after your post, none of them had anything to do with you. About the flame wars, you mean like how you deliberately provoked a flame war just to protect Cisco...
  5. D

No problems, and yes I agree it is an advantage to be able to press the power button then just walk away and save a minute or two. I am sure someone will come up with a clean and simple method to make that happen eventually.
  6. D

STH has positioned itself over the years as a news source and community for practical server operators who are more focused on power and cost savings, and less focused on 'clever' hacks such as water cooling and neon lights. This is evident by the most recent news on STH: A $30 WD 8 port...
  7. D

I actually edited my post before reading this. Because although s0lid used words such as 'my way' and 'better' without a context, ultimately I believe he was just being enthusiastic about sharing his experiment. But what's with the language? Is that how you define 'mature discussion'?
  8. D

1. The power button is still a common feature on modern PSU today. 2. Shutting down the OS and then turn off the PSU is not a sin, in fact many people actually turn off the power at the wall/rack socket after a shut down, because motherboards still consume power even when it is turned off...
  9. D

Good hacking job, trying different things certainly helped a lot with the learning process, I used to share such enthusiasm, until I entered the real world where the machine you use is just a small piece of the puzzle and overall efficiency is a high priority, so I tend to choose components that...
  10. D

Good for you, I am sure you can emulate the entire node panel if you wanted to. But in the world I live in, simpler is better, anyone can be complex, simplicity is difficult, you can't get much simpler/cheaper than connecting 11 wires.
  11. D

Same cable from another seller, this one doesn't even bother selling the fan cable (uses the fan plugs on the motherboard instead). The pictures on this one is less clear, but I'll post them anyway:
  12. D

PSU to motherboard cable: Translation: Note: Use the 4P+4P from standard PSU, the 6P+2p is for graphics card only and doesn't have enough power.
  13. D

Hi, it'd probably be much more economical for you to buy a C6100 node from a US seller on ebay, and then buy/create your own power cable using wires from old PSU's. The key to the whole thing is really just 11 wires that connect a standard PSU to the C6100 motherboard. You can buy the cables...
  14. D

looking for 24 port fan-less cisco fast ethernet switch

Shrug, starting a pissing contest and smear other brands doesn't change the fact Cisco is so blatant about wide open backdoors in their products. Why the hell would I pay premium for some closed source crap with a wide open backdoor? Open sourced firmware is the future. If you're in the US...
  15. D

FTFY. Problems can be avoided by buying from other countries or roll your own switches/routers with Pfsense/OpenBGPD. Just because they serve you stuff doesn't mean you have to eat it. You can buy many custom built motherboards with 6 onboard nics for US$100 and do a lot of magic with...
  16. D

After realizing Cisco calls their backdoors "Lawful Intercepts", I've been stay away from anything that has a Cisco logo on it. Lawful Intercept Configuration Guide - Lawful Intercept Overview  [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
  17. D

Just passing by to let you guys know the C6100 independent power supply problem has been solved awhile ago, business savy Chinese have been selling each nodes as individual boxes all over the place, dirt cheap: DELL C6100Ö÷°å·þÎñÆ÷L5639...
  18. D

Found a bunch of useful cool shits online lately, thought I'd share some with STH: ORICO 1025ss - 2.5" to 3.5" HDD converter, hot swap compatible, US$16 each Extra points to ORICO for having the sense of humor to make it look like a normal 3.5 SATA hdd, they look exactly the same to the...
  19. D

Taming the C6100

LOL why even bother replacing the original fans with something with half the speed and CFM but just as noisy.