Search results

1. AveryFreeman

EU (WTB) genuine Intel X550-T2

I have an X540-T2 but it's Supermicro branded - cheap Taiwanese crap? I know their SFP+ cards are less picky about transceivers than Intel cards but that won't help you with an RJ45 plug ;)
  2. AveryFreeman

Unifi USW-Pro-Aggregation SFP+ SFP28+ switch 10/25GbE for auction

I'm selling my super bad-ass switch because I'm liquidating my entire homelab Auction is here: Ubiquiti USW-Pro-Aggregation UniFi 28x10G SFP+ 4x25G SFP28+ Ports Managed Switch 810010072597 | eBay I noticed these are going used for $660 on B&H Photo, so I listed mine for $399 start and $650...
  3. AveryFreeman

Tuning vsphere 6.5 udp performance?

Curious if you've ever gotten any resolution to this?
  4. AveryFreeman

Report: HP 453156-001 works fine in AOC-STGN-I2S Intel X520-DA2 82599EB Copy

I haven't tried a whole lot of different modules in these cards, but I know there's a lot of them floating around out there, so I thought I'd mention a few more: Arista XVR-00001-02 SFP-10G-SR Dell 0C5RNH SFP+ SR Going to try a Ubiquiti UF-MM-10G next, will report back This compatibility...
  5. AveryFreeman

HPE 621SFP28 and Marvell QLogic QL41212HLCU

Very interesting. Have you been able to get them to work with any Cisco branded modules? I had a reply from 10GTek when I asked if they had compatible modules saying I should use Cisco, but all my DACs are all Cisco-branded (both ends, not compatible but made by Cisco) and they're only...
  6. AveryFreeman

HPE 621SFP28 and Marvell QLogic QL41212HLCU

Sorry to revive necrothread, but I got a handful of QL45212s and am wondering what kind of (hopefully inexpensive) modules I can use with them. I'm using ESXi 7.0U3g, which supports the card natively (which was nice, as Linux support was rather limited). ESXi recognizes the NICs are there, but...
  7. AveryFreeman

SFP+ Dual NIC with 10G-BaseT and 5000Base-T support. Does it exist?

I came across this thread looking for compatible modules for my switch, and saw they were discussing some SFP+ modules autonegotiating from 10Gbps down to 5Gbps or 2.5Gbps: https://community.ui.com/questions/USW-Switch-Aggregation-support-for-2-5-or-5-gbps/3f9aa1a8-5297-48e8-8ed6-4c23059d091c...
  8. AveryFreeman

Thanks for clarification, wouldn't want to spread misinformation Can you elaborate on the VLAN-confined RDMA vs RoCEv2 statement? They are different things, so not sure what you're referring to.
  9. AveryFreeman

I'm so glad I've moved to other NICs ;)
  10. AveryFreeman

Thanks for the clarification. I think it's in the 7050 micro HMM, if I'm not mistaken, just haven't been through it in a while. I think it also mentions that the M-key m.2 is only PCIe x2 :confused:
  11. AveryFreeman

Yeah, I cross-flashed 4 MCX354A-QCBT (10GbE/40GbIB) to MCX353A-FCBT (40GbE/56GbIB) and it worked great. Same card physically, just different firmware. It's super easy and pain-free. I heard you can flash them to be the PRO model, which in hindsight I kind of wish I had gone for since they're...
  12. AveryFreeman

Wait, I'm trying to figure out what kind of computer you're making this out of - is it a Z2 mini? I scanned through the thread and didn't see you mention it anywhere... I'm working on a cluster of Dell 7050 micros and HP Elitedesk 800 G4s, with A+E key and M-key to PCIe x16 risers for the...
  13. AveryFreeman

WTB Aten KVM adapters e.g. KA7169 - HDMI or Displayport

Hi, I have an ATEN KA1516 KVM switch for my micro PC cluster and managed to buy 4 KA7169 adapters off someone selling a gang of them on eBay for $20/ea. I want to expand the cluster, but the only adapters I've seen listed are like $150+, which is ridiculous and just not happening - that's...
  14. AveryFreeman

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Not sure which boards you're talking about, but as far as I could tell I got different fan speeds with raw IPMI on my X10SRL-F boards
  15. AveryFreeman

Has anyone else "downgraded" from QSFP+ (40GbE) to SFP+ (10GbE) gear? And if so, why?

For an EMC SX3016? ... I haven't read it in years, but I saw one thread where people were struggling with it, was very long. Seemed harder than the process I followed for flashing MCX354A from 56Gb IB to 40GbE. But like I said, haven't read it in a long time. Don't need to now! chmod +x...
  16. AveryFreeman

Has anyone else "downgraded" from QSFP+ (40GbE) to SFP+ (10GbE) gear? And if so, why?

What were you using the QL45212 with that crashed? And what do you mean "back to basics"?
  17. AveryFreeman

Yeah, it makes the 40 part of 40GbE pretty irrelevant. I guess it's nice to have the overhead if you "need" it, but it's just not necessary. Above 10Gbps is definitely beneficial, though, as mentioned by @i386 - which is why I'm pretty juiced about my new cards and switch, instead of sticking...
  18. AveryFreeman

I just got the US-Pro-Aggregation for $550 on the fleabays. 4x25GbE backbone. They're coming down. The only thing that irks me is using the backbone part of the switch for my servers again, just like my 1Gbps switches with 4x10GbE SFP+. But presumably I can do a 4-port 10GbE LAGG between the...
  19. AveryFreeman

I was just answering https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/has-anyone-else-downgraded-from-qsfp-40gbe-to-sfp-10gbe-gear-and-if-so-why.38009/post-353965 Yeah, 10GbE's not hard to saturate, I agree. I think 25GbE is going to be just fine, though. Seems like the sweet spot for lab...
  20. AveryFreeman

From everything I've read, that's pretty standard sounding. Watch your speeds and see if it looks like it's throttling speed for temperature, though. re: NIC, not familiar with the 550-T2 but if you're shopping around, there's a QL41134HLCU that is low profile and has 4 SFP+ ports, saw one on...