Search results

1. J

Are you looking for best looking NAS enclosure?

@heromode not at all. I'm happy to hear arguments like these :D So as long as everything stays friendly. The way I see it, either you go full blown rack mount, or full blown desktop, using all the small Tiny Mini Micros. Further down the road, maybe even several RPis to serve all our homelab...
  2. J

That's certainly another way to do it :)
  3. J

It's exactly the 4-bay case, and the other is 8-bay.
  4. J

Indeed, I've long known it's an Ablecom case. But I cannot find it in retail. Ablecom/ Supermicro- brothers is a fun fact. Thanks.
  5. J

DS380 doesn't have the leds :D That's a dealbreaker for me. But Fractal Node 804 works with Micro ATX, without the hot swap.
  6. J

Just want to share that ever since I started to get interested in NAS, my idea of how it should look like should be horizontal, like Synology 8 bays, and Qnap 8 bays. The only other vertical form factor I found that really appeals to me is Truenas Mini, and the 8-bay version. There are a lot...
  7. J

Virtual kvm that allows monitor sharing

Hi. I'm looking for Virtual KVM that allows sharing of monitor. Most of the time, the sharing is for keyboard and mouse only. I'm looking for one that supports both Windows and Linux. This way, I can use the same set for both desktops.
  8. J

Underclock Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F m/b to use passive heatsink

I do have a Dynatron with blower fan. Unfortunately, it's not quiet, even though it's already considered as such. Cannot execute script due to dedicated firewall OS. Hence, this is the best way to go.
  9. J

Yes, it's also because it's a dedicated firewall OS, hence I cannot run IPMI tools. So this is almost perfect, with Noctua fan. Except for disabling HT and All cores. I think the only way to go forward is to add another Noctua fan, and have a 3D printed shroud.
  10. J

Is it correct that the fans should blow/ suck air parallel to the fins? The noise is barely noticeable even if running at close to max speed, 4,800 RPM. I will consider having a shroud professionally printed, so that it fits perfectly. I'll add another fan, beside my existing one. Thank you...
  11. J

@gb00s Nice to hear new suggestions. I had the same idea. though I only used 1 Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM. I placed it in the green area below. At the back of the case, as it will be easier for me to make an air shroud. The red line is where my Air Shroud is placed. I had the Noctua fan blowing...
  12. J

I currently use above motherboard, with Core i3-4160T. Though the processor is already at only 35W TDP, still, since I put it in a 1U rackmount chassis of Supermicro, I have to use a Dynatron blower type fan. I need help to underclock my m/b, processor, to make it super silent. My thoughts...
  13. J

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

Thanks Marjan. I thought there are other alternatives. What is Rancher OS or Kubernetes?
  14. J

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

I may get 2 unused devices (previous firewalls) using Rangeley or Denverton. I am thinking how do I use these devices baremetal? My only expierience using Docker is running it off Unraid, and it's been pretty easy. Is there a way to get Docker running in these low powered devices? Preferably...
  15. J

Qnap low powered NAS for virtualization

Hi all. Long time user of Unraid NAS. I am wondering how Qnap low powered NAS can do virtualization, specially if they are ARM powered. In Unraid, if my processor is powerful enough, you can create a gaming VM, with GPU passthrough. For Qnap low powered NAS, are they talking about the same...
  16. J

Unifi AP Vlan pass through basic POE+ switch to Sophos Firewall

@coxhaus Re-reading your comment, you seem to say the POE switch the APs are plugged into also need to support VLAN 802.1Q (VLAN Aware) to be able to pass the tagging to the switch (in my case, the Cisco SG500) with tagging, then finally, to Sophos Firewall, which is also VLAN Aware. Is this...
  17. J

So vlan tagging done on Sg300-28 only?
  18. J

Hi. I plan to buy a TP-Link TL-SG1005LP POE+ switch for use with my 2, soon to become 3 Unifi APs. https://www.tp-link.com/ph/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg1005lp/ Currently, I have 2 Unifi APs (with 3 SSID each on their own Vlan). that connect to 2 ports on my Cisco SG500 switch...
  19. J

Is it possible to future-proof any NAS with Docker containers on SBC

Yes, Raspberry Pis, Odroids, get Docker to start at bootup, and have all of the containers on multiple devices such as these. Each SBC hosts 2 or 3 containers, depending on how much power each container requires. If multiple containers on an SBC, and the SBC only has a single Gigabit, is...
  20. J

Is it possible to future-proof any NAS with Docker containers on SBC

Any ideas? If it's doable, I may start looking for old 8 bay Synology Diskstations :D