Search results

1. D

Server 2016-Storage Spaces: Setup Different Number of Columns per Tier?

Okay I have tested to setup a SSD mirror tier and a HDD parity tier. And what should I say it's actually working ;)! I tested it with 2 SSDs (kind of raid 1) and 4 SSDs (kind of raid 10) and in both cases it is setting up the tiers correctly. Now I'm struggling to use either 2 SSDs or 4 SSDs ...
  2. D

Thanks for your fast answer. The commands for creating the storage tiers seems to work. When I look into their parameters I can see the correct column sizes. But sadly the command New-VirtualDisk is returning the error, which give not really meaningful information. Surprisingly the error is not...
  3. D

Hello guys I have the following problem: I have setup a storage pool with 6x8TB HDDs and 3x256GB SSDs. I managed to create a tiered parity space with the following commands: # paramter section $spName = "StoragePool0" $vdName = "VirtualDisk0" $cols_ssdTier = 3 # how to incorporate those...
  4. D

WS16: Tiered Parity Storage Pools how?

I have tried to create some more test spaces with 5 and 6 drives for the HDD tier, but the creation of both failed. I used the same command from above and changed the NumberOfColumns para,eter accordingly. In both cases it was saying: New-VirtualDisk : Invalid Parameter. So whats the matter there?
  5. D

And additionally when I list all created storage tiers from the pool I get the following output: PS C:\****\Desktop\> Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName StoragePool0 | Get-StorageTier ObjectId ...
  6. D

Okay I create another testpool, which is the following: FriendlyName MediaType UniqueId Size ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ATA Samsung SSD 850 SSD 5002538D419297C1 249913409536 ATA Samsung SSD 850 SSD...
  7. D

Win10 Storage Spaces - Is it that bad?

Just a quick bump as a reminder for my stated problem on how to setup a tiered parity storage space via powershell. @cesmith9999 I already purchased 6 spinners now, so that I would want to setup my final storage space configuration directly. I think that would also save me from some hassle...
  8. D

I already asked that question in a different thread, but maybe it's better to create an own thread for my problem. My goal is to create a tiered storage pool with a resilience level set to single parity (both for ssd and hdd tier). Therefore I already own three 250gb ssds. The problem is that I...
  9. D

Okay I tried to setup a tiered parity pool with virtual disks on a different machine now (under WS16 Standard). But sadly I ran into the same problems. It looks like it is simply not supported. @cesmith9999 do you maybe know a source where someone has successfully deployed a tiered parity pool...
  10. D

Server 2016 Storage Spaces build

For a parity pool with a PhysicalDiskRedundancy of 2 you would need 3 SSDs for the journal to ensure integrity.
  11. D

Okay I got the third SSD and wanted to create a testpool with 3 ssds and three old 512gb spinners. The command get-StoragePool -FriendlyName "StoragePool0" | Get-PhysicalDisk | ft FriendlyName, SerialNumber, MediaType showed: FriendlyName SerialNumber MediaType ------------ ATA Samsung SSD 850...
  12. D

Regarding the filesystem for a parity space: I guess ReFs is now supported for a parity space since cesmith9999 mentioned it? Do you see any cons in using ReFs instead of NTFS? Additionally I cannot really find any information for the read cache. But I have seen people reporting of missing trim...
  13. D

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge. Really kind of you!
  14. D

Is there a recommendation for the sector size? The vdisk size would be 16tb and later 40tb. I want to store mainly big multimedia files on the space.
  15. D

Yeah single redundancy and thank you for the clarification. So let's assume I will initially build up a pool with 3 ssds and 3 spinners. Both tiers would have a column count of 3. Later when I want to extend the spinners tier I would have to create a new vdisk to update the column count (ssd...
  16. D

@cesmith9999 Hey Chris, I already own two 250gb SSDs and my idea was to start with three spinners in parity. Ultimatively I want to expand the count of spinners up to six.
  17. D

Hey cesmith9999, is it maybe possible to share those powershell commands you used to create such a tiered parity space? I'm am currently struggling with putting it together in the correct way. Thanks in advance!
  18. D

Storage space 2016 good read

Hey, I just want to get a question answered to be sure... As I read it it is not possible to create with "normal" Storage Spaces 2016 an expandable tiered parity space, where I want to use two mirrored ssds for the faster tier and three hdds in parity mode for the slower tier? The hdd parity...