Search results

1. S

what happened to Avago/Broadcom's downloads for the 9361-* cards?

I rarely check for firmware/bios updates on things like raid controllers, but I was doing quarterly updates to my Kubernetes host and decided to check for updates for the RAID controller (a LSI 9361-8i card). From what I see on Broadcoms site, the only cards they're actively supporting are...
  2. S

PSOD during install on X11SCL-F board with all vmware approved hardware

Trying to build an ESX system with the following hardware: Supermicro X11SCL-F board (latest BMC/BIOS) Xeon E-2134 CPU 2x4GB sticks of DDR4-2133MHz memory * Samsung 250GB 960 EVO m.2 NVME drive Intel X710-DA2 2x 10Gb SFP+ nic SMC 1u Chassis (not that it matters) I've tried the following...
  3. S

Do same Architecture CPU's have the same IPC potential?

Running into a cpu-bound issue with a single threaded firewall on an Atom C3758, so looking at swapping the board/cpu out for something with a much higher clock speed. The atom c3758 runs at 2.2Ghz My choices for replacement are either: 7th Gen Kaby Lake i3-7350k (4.2 Ghz base clock, 2c/4t)...
  4. S

US: Can I borrow an X710-DA2/X722-DA2/X710-T4L/X710-T2L Network card?

I know, strange request. I am testing a VM-100 Series Firewall from Palo Alto Networks, however the board/10G nic I'm using (x553/82599) is not fully supported, and I believe packet processing is being offloaded to the kernel (using an atom c3758 board). This gives me around 400Mbps each...
  5. S

FS - US: 16GB DDR3 sticks and 2 SMCI 10G SFP+ adapters

Cleaning out some old home lab gear. Have the following 8x hmt42gr7afr4a-pb SKHYNIX 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R-11-12-E2 sticks, like new condition. Asking 28$ each (shipping included) or 160 for all 8 (shipping included) 2x Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S dual 10Gbps SFP+ adapters. These are rev 2.00...
  6. S

Dumb Server memory population question

Yes it's a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the difference between 2 options. Given the following block diagram: Whats the recommend population pattern for 8 sticks? There isn't any documentation on Quanta's site , but i found an Intel doc that says you can either go: A0 B0 C0 D0...
  7. S

US $192 ($190 BO) Great deal on a Quanta D51B-2U 2u Chassis

I'm hesitant to post this as I feel this is a rare opportunity, but I figured I'd be nice and help others out since everyone contributes great deals here. I just snagged a Quanta D51B-2U chassis off ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132276034590 Listing says $192, I OBO'd it for $190....yeah i...
  8. S

FreeNAS Cloud sync with delayed delete?

In FreeNAS (11.x U5, if that matters), I have a cloud sync task to upload a folder to GCP cold storage (my photography backup). I set the cloud sync task to "sync", so if I delete something locally, it gets deleted in the cloud. The problem is that GCP storage has a 90 day minimum storage...
  9. S

QuantaGrid servers and ES processors...

First, I full well know the risks of running ES processors. Full stop. Now, I'm wondering if Quanta (QuantaGrid) servers work with ES processors? I know most branded (HP, Dell, etc) systems wont, but Supermicro Boards work, and Quanta seems like another Supermicro-like competitor, so I'm...
  10. S

Will 1x 130W processor use more electricity than 2x 80W?

So the title is a little obvious, but here's the gist. I'm currently running a Supermicro 6027-DTRF dual node chassis as a home kubernetes cluster. I'm always trying to optimize my home equipment to use less power (I pay ~45c/kWh during peak), so I'd like to try and dial this down a bit, if...
  11. S

How best to determine what to upgrade for better FreeNAS performance?

Crappy subject, but I can't really think of how better to word it, so forgive me. I'm wondering how to go about determining bottlenecks in my system, and then using that to determine what to upgrade. First, my FreeNAS box (current): Supermicro SC846 24 bay Chassis w/ 920W -SQ PSUs &...
  12. S

99$ 32GB Hynix DDR3 1333Mhz ECC Dimms

Just got this alert in my email for 32GB SK-Hynix DDR3 dimms. Specs are: HMT84GR7MMR4A-H9 32GB 4Rx4 DDR3 PC3L-10600R-9-11-AB0 Here's the link: HYNIX HMT84GR7MMR4A-H9 32GB 4Rx4 DDR3 PC3L-10600R-9-11-AB0 MEMORY RAM | eBay Normally these go for like 150-180 on ebay, so this is a steal...
  13. S

How to update firmware on Dell branded Intel SSDs w/o a Dell?

I purchased some MFG refurbed 400GB Intel DC S3610 drives from Amazon (84.99/ea, if anyone cares). When they arrived, I noticed they were Dell drives (not mentioned, but not a big deal). They came with DL22 firmware, and I see there is now a DL2D firmware available (actually 3 new firmwares)...
  14. S

Any other vendors of JBOD chassis like supermicro?

The title may not be fully correct, but basically what I'm trying to find is another vendor similar to Supermicro that produces chassis for DIY type builds. I'm looking at adding 2.5" JBOD storage to my existing home file server, and while this might sound dumb, the way something looks has some...
  15. S

4x HGST HUSSL4010BSS600 100GB SSDs for sale

I bought these a few months back after finding a deal on here, but never ended up using the drives because I needed something larger. I can't view the original order/item details since it was so long ago, so I dont remember if they were listed as new or used, but I've run S.M.A.R.T tests...