Search results

1. J

Has anyone else "downgraded" from QSFP+ (40GbE) to SFP+ (10GbE) gear? And if so, why?

Your results are close to mine, I could never get anywhere close to 40 regardless of what I did, but could hit the mid 20's on the regular.
  2. J

Has anyone else "downgraded" from QSFP+ (40GbE) to SFP+ (10GbE) gear? And if so, why?

Yeah, we are in this middle gap where 40gbe is relatively cheap, but going beyond that (in terms of newer tech) 25, 50, 100 is expensive.
  3. J

What do you mean storage for 40g / 100g is expensive? Are you just referring to storage that could saturate that type of a connection?
  4. J

I did, I had an Arista 40gbe and 40 to all my servers. It was cool for benchmarks and stuff but I didn't really need it and the power consumption is high. I still have most of my gear that I just need to offload to eBay.
  5. J

Eaton PDU question

Got it. Thank you for the info.
  6. J

Eaton PDU question

Not sure this is the right sub forum/category but I am also not sure what would be the correct spot. I am looking at a new PDU, wondering if this could be used on a standard 120v us outlet? Im not great with the various types of connectors...
  7. J

Dell R440 for $402 /w free shipping.

Wow... that was an interesting turn of events.... IIRC they have sold other units this low. I am pretty sure we had 440's on here in the $400 range before. Have a hard time believing they have a bunch of dead 440s... I never wanted the 3.5 units though. Edit ** I Should add that I have had...
  8. J

Dell R440 for $402 /w free shipping.

Damn... All gone. Good deal, I was really tempted.
  9. J

Fujitsu D2755-A11 (intel x520-da2) 10GB SFP+ NICs - $30ish

There are plenty of cheap x520s on ebay. The deal above was pretty good but you can get close to it just by keeping an eye on ebay. Regarding them being legit or not... not sure how you ensure that.
  10. J

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

Whoa..... That is another level. Hopefully your kids don't end up with your level of paranoia.
  11. J

48 port 10Gb SFP+ switch recommendations - iSCSI / vSphere

This has to be one of the most interesting takes I have seen on this forum. Even Mikrotik does not agree with you.
  12. J

Att 2gig service weird speedtests

Yeah, I was thinking of going that route as well... They are just so expensive right now. As far as I can tell those are all in the $600 range give or take. Are there any offbrand/OEM versions I should be looking for?
  13. J

Update... I saw that the x550 in particular out of the box did not support 2.5, and 5gbps speeds on 1 and 10gbe. It required a bios update to 'properly' support those speeds. Apparently if you do not have that update, Pfsense will show 'unknown' from a link speed standpoint. That is exactly what...
  14. J

I am going to toss this under networking as I think it is mostly networking.... I recently upgraded from ATT gigabit fiber to the 2gig service. With the old 1 gig service I used to use the whole dumb switch bypass to bypass the router gateway and just shoot everything to PFsense. With the new...
  15. J

Hardware security for your homelab….

That danger sticker is awesome.
  16. J

SONiC ready for primetime in Layer2?

Azure uses Sonic in production. It is probably fine for your use case :).
  17. J

Trying to setup Ruckus ICX 7150 12 port w/Macbook

This is 100% correct process and I have done it on this switch. This should be what the op does next. That should at least get you in so you can configure it.
  18. J

Trying to setup Ruckus ICX 7150 12 port w/Macbook

Do you have a serial console cable? https://docs.commscope.com/bundle/icx7150-installguide/page/GUID-9FB7FB94-16E9-4FB8-8BBB-8B1BDD9B7E79.html edit, looks like you can serial console via the usb c cable. Do you have experience doing that? Let us know, we can probably walk through how to do it...
  19. J

SOLVED: trying to run 2.5g multi-gig to an older juniper ex4300

Wow. I stand corrected, pretty slick.
  20. J

SOLVED: trying to run 2.5g multi-gig to an older juniper ex4300

Me thinks the 4300 was made before multigig was even a thing. Why not just buy a cheap multigig switch? I have not had many issues using off brand xcievers with Juniper.