Search results

1. X

Advice for processor upgrade (5700x, 5900x)

Nice, thanks for the links, really good reference. My motherboard is really ghetto budget level, it's not even listed on there, including the A320 chipset.
  2. X

Yes, unfortunately my motherboard only supports AM4 at this moment. Thank you for the suggestion. I am hesitant to opt for the 5800X3D because it is 105W TDP like the 5900x, so would end up with a new cooler, and the PSU will probably need replacement among other concerns I had with going 5900x.
  3. X

Hey everyone, I'm not a pro server admin like everyone else here, so I currently have a basic machine that I have a 2600x with a cheap Asus A320M-K motherboard, running ESXi. There is nothing too CPU-intensive running (a Mac OS, several Ubuntu with Docker stuff, a couple Windows VM including one...
  4. X

Help with LSI 9201-16e board error

So after many months I got around to setting up new hardware, this time with a cheap Supermicro motherboard. The LSI controller now boots up fine and lets me proceed to the operating system without the old errors, and I can see the drives attached to the LSI controller now. I think that old...
  5. X

I understand, the problem is I can't boot into a USB drive or my boot drive to run the utility because it reaches that error/information message about the boot ROM in all situations.
  6. X

Hi, I bought a LSI 9201-16e board to attach to an external DAS for storage. My operating system/boot drive is attached to the motherboard of the computer, and the DAS is for storage. I keep getting "MPT Boot Rom No supported devices found" error. I tried to set the Boot Option in configuration...
  7. X

Parts needed for 24-drive setup?

If I needed 24 ports, that would mean 3 HBAs though? If you have any expander or HBA suggestions I'd be open to any. I'm just using it (data drives) for cold storage. So I haven't purchased any particular chassis or motherboard yet. I'll be using an old Core 2 machine with a basic consumer...
  8. X

Thanks. Wouldn't both the Intel and HP expander leave an extra port, though, since I can just use one cable to connect to the expander?
  9. X

Hi all, I'm trying to understand the correct hardware needed to run about 24 drives. Initially it will be 7 drives, but eventually expanded upwards. I'll be running a Windows box with DrivePool and SnapRAID to keep things simple until I figure something else out in the future. I read this post...