Search results

1. L

HGST 12TB SAS3 3.5" - $105 OBO

Although we're talking about SAS here, anyone looking for SATA Ultrastar deals might find helpful this description of their features by part number...
  2. L

Synology vs DIY NAS for home?

To provide a little closure on my original post: I went with ODROID HC4. I'll use btrfs and maybe urbackup. I also considered these 4- and 8-bay cases for DIY, but I'm not sure I'll need more than 2 bays for a while, so it doesn't make much sense for me. I believe these are manufactured by...
  3. L

Appreciate everyone's comments, a lot to think about. I guess I wish Synology offered a little better hardware for the price, then I wouldn't be so hesitant to just buy it prebuilt.
  4. L

Thanks, I'll definitely post if I find stock of HC2. I'd prefer that form factor, too. Regarding OpenZFS on ODROID-HC4, some success is reported with Armbian at Setting up an ODROID-HC4 as a NAS | ChandlerSwift.com (below the OLED photo). I wish more people were using this setup, so I could be...
  5. L

Had not considered ODROID-HC2, thanks very much for mentioning it. Seems to be discontinued in favor of ODROID-HC4, are you aware of any stock still available at a good price? HC4 has a "toaster" form factor that I'm not familiar with. Any issues with HDD longevity in that case? Any...
  6. L

I'd like to get a NAS to use at home as an additional backup destination for several home PCs, besides two cloud backup services I already use. No VMs, no media server, just a another place to archive my data (and Windows OS drives), ideally with snapshotting and ease of replicating (eventually)...
  7. L

Best value in SATA SSDs with PLP?

Thanks for the tip!
  8. L

Thanks, these are drives that weren't on my radar and I will investigate them further. Not looking to purchase immediately, but planning for a storage upgrade.
  9. L

What SATA SSDs with power loss protection offer the best value these days (used is okay)? The last time I was looking, I bought a used Intel S3700, but I'm not up to speed on newer drives or the current market. Thanks!
  10. L

Help selecting NVMe drives to finish build

Saw in your other thread that you are looking for good performance at low queue depth. For high speed at low queue depth, if capacity isn't very important, maybe consider Optane.
  11. L

Minio object storage - have you used it?

@Patrick Yes, API is S3 compatible. Do you remember having any problems with it?
  12. L

@markarr Thanks, I'll look at these, too.
  13. L

I'm looking at Minio for high-durability, high-availability object storage. It seems you can easily distribute it across multiple storage servers and have erasure coding. It looks like it might be easier to set up than Ceph or Swift. It's pretty new (especially the distributed part), but from...
  14. L

Samsung EVO vs Pro

@Kristian Leth Check prices of Intel S3700 on eBay. They've recently been available at $130-$150 for 400GB. If that's enough capacity for you, there won't be any problem with drive performance.
  15. L

NextCloud opinions?

Thanks, probably going to use Ubuntu. Also checking out docker, which I've never used, for easier deployment to multiple nodes.
  16. L

NextCloud opinions?

Thanks, ability to set upload-only is what I was looking for, glad to hear that's built-in. Think I'll give it a try.
  17. L

NextCloud opinions?

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of using it for a situation where many users will be uploading, but very few will be downloading. I haven't looked into the customization options too much -- do you happen to know if it's easy to hide non-upload functionality from the users who won't need it?
  18. L

NextCloud opinions?

Didn't want to hijack this thread asking for NextCloud help, but I was recently considering using NextCloud with Swift. If you've used it, what's your opinion? Any alternatives you prefer (with the file sharing functionality)? Thanks.
  19. L

Offsite backup - cloud, tape, server, whats your deal?

CrashPlan and Backblaze. I'd like to ditch HDD cold storage and keep everything on tape + somehow do a cloud backup of the tape, but the "unlimited" pricing of CrashPlan and Backblaze is just too good right now.
  20. L

Linux KVM Virtualization - Is it mature enough now?

FWIW, linode.com transitioned to KVM from Xen a few years ago.