Search results

1. L

Stupid question regarding switches with 2x 10GB ports. What about an uplink?

I have been in the market for a 10GB switch, preferably something without SFP+, since I don't necessarily want to have to purchase SFP+ Ports, and or Fiber cables, etc. Hoping to get away with CAT5e, or at least CAT6 cabling in house. Currently, I have 8GB symmetrical fiber to my house, and I...
  2. L

Looking for Fan replacements - Custom build using old SuperMicro chassis.

I have an older 16Bay server chassis from Supermicro. I can't find the exact part number, but it looks identical to this: SuperMicro 836BE1C-R1K23B 3U 16-Bay Server SuperChassis I've gutted this system and replaced the guts with those of my old desktop computer (i7 3770k, Sabretooth Z77, 32GB...
  3. L

Looking for 8+ bay hot swap chassis.

Ok, so, I'm starting to just lean towards running another Fractal R6 ... I have this chassis already for my gaining tower, so I'm quite familiar with it. Granted, it doesn't have any hot swap bays, but it can support up to 12 drives, and it costs about $50 CAD less than the Rosewill chassis. In...
  4. L

If this was the case, I'd go with the Fractal Define R6 (Much nicer looking, IMO, and matches my current desktop setup) Unfortunately, the footprint of the 743, and 745 is near identical to the Rosewill 4U chassis ... I was hoping for smaller. Hmm, still on the lookout. I like the idea of a...
  5. L

I really like the InWin chassis, but their price point puts them out of budget, heck, it puts them out of the realm of possibility! The IW-RS212-S2-R860, for example is almost $3,000 CAD
  6. L

I'd be curious to know the noise level of these, specifically the 2U chassis. I have a much older 3U 7th gen Super Micro server (full server) and its LOUD AF!!! Seeing as how the chassis has stock fans, and PSU, I'd imagine it'd be fairly loud. Any ideas if there are silent fans I can swap...
  7. L

Are drives hot swappable without a BackPlane?

Thanks for the additional tip.
  8. L

Ok, so I assume as long as I'm careful, and ignore any chassis intrusion errors, it'd be safe to disconnect a drive on the fly? If I use a system like FreeNAS, and it reports a dead drive, is it safe to power down the server with a dead drive? or would I need to rebuild the raid before a power...
  9. L

The board I currently have is a Micro ATX, but it would be nice to at least fit a full size ATX for future expansion.
  10. L

So, I see chassis that are often advertised as "Hot Swappable" which, typically means they have a backplane of sorts. My question is, are drive not connected to a back plane hot swappable? For example, if I have drive connected to my Perc H310, using SSH 8087 to SATA breakout cables, would...
  11. L

Hi there, I'm in the market for a chassis with 8+ hot swap bays. Currently have my eye on RSV-L4412, but this chassis is just massive! Hoping for something a touch smaller, if possible, maybe 3U, around the same price point ($229.99 CAD). Any suggestions?
  12. L

Looking to convert old desktop to NAS (8 - 12bay)

I actually just noticed this U-NAS NSC810A variant ... I'm currently reading up on it. But if this fits my hardware, and my hardware will suffice for Free-Nas, and I can afford $3,000 worth in Hard drives, this might be a win.
  13. L

So, here's the thing, I actually have a SuperMicro Server, that's 12 bay I believe. It's a full blown server. The issue is, I cannot turn it on due to the noise. The thing SCREAMS all the time! (If anyone know's how to shut this thing up ...) Hence this venture to find a smaller, quieter...
  14. L

Maybe $300 - $500? I'm not sure what a decent budget is really?
  15. L

Ok, I am new here, and still very green. Currently, I have a working computer comprised of an Asus P8Z77-M, an i5 CPU, 2GB of ram, power supply, and unnecessary GPU. As for drives, I will likely populate the new unit with WD REDs, as I've used these in the past and they are quite reliable...