Search results

1. K

Low(est) power ESXI host?

OK Patrick, so your Rangely articles have me gunning to try out an Atom. I'm going to pick up a SM A1SRM-2758F system. But I am not sure what to expect if I go the route of putting ESXi on it and running a couple of VMs on it (I am thinking of maybe a small NAS and a Linux and server 2012...
  2. K

Intel 8 port lsi sas raid module 80$

Question for you: what is the advantage of Patrick's lsi 2308 over the 2208 on these modules, other than it's PCI-E 3.0 vs. PCI-E 2.0? it doesnt seem to matter on these boards; from what I can tell both are spec'd by Intel to be on a pci-e 2.0 x8 interface. Also, why is there no love for...
  3. K

Solaris, Napp-it and ecrypted volumes...

Thanks Nitrobass for the info. I am mounting remotely (in Windows), I assume this is via samba, not NFS..?.
  4. K

Solaris, Napp-it and ecrypted volumes...

So thanks in large part to STH, Patrick, and the folks in the forums (props for the nice Solaris/Napp-it tutorial Nitrobass), I've gotten a crash course in setting up my own micro datacenter. My Intel E3-12xx series Xeon system (with Vt-d - who knew how useful that could be??), I've got Solaris...
  5. K

Tyan Motherboard fails to POST

Success! I am happy to be able to say that I think I've solved my problem. After essentially deconstructing my system and then looking over all the jumpers, I noticed that the CMOS jumper ( JP6, located below the SATA ports ) was set incorrectly. It was set to clear the CMOS (pins 2&3). I...
  6. K

Still not having any fun... Mine's still dead. I tried removing all USB peripherals and ports, but still nothing. The IPMI works, I can log into the management interface, but it is basically useless as the board is not powering on (all MB sensors report no data since the board is essentially...
  7. K

I am trying, so far without much success, to power on my new Xeon E3-1240 server build. I have a Tyan S5512WGM2NR motherboard with a E3-1240 CPU and 2x 4GB Crucial ECC non-registered RAM ( p/n: CT2KIT51272BA1339 ) . When I try and turn it on, nothing happens. No PSU fan, no system fans, no...
  8. K

Intel Xeon E5606 Benchmarks and Review - Single CPU

Comparing the E3-12xx to the E56xx I am looking forward to seeing what you think of the E5606 -- I was leaning toward a socket 1366 solution until I read your write-up on the E3-1230. Pretty impressive for under $250. I'd be interested to hear what you think E56xx vs. E3-12xx...