Search results

1. Q

$42 3TB HGST SATA disks are back

What software do you use for readinf SMART info and testing? My drives tested fine (even the drive that vibrates a lot) SMART values look OK to me. I used Passmark DiskCheckup for reading SMART info and HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test for testing drives.
  2. Q

$42 3TB HGST SATA disks are back

Hi, I bought couple of these HGST 3TB drives, and one is vibrating like crazy when powered on. Other thing I have noted when I start HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (Extended test) my drives first make short loud noise and then proceed with test normally. Did anyone have similar...
  3. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

I am having strange issues with auto negotiation on this switch, it's reporting duplex mismatch on most ports and links going down and up twice in a row on random basis. Canon photocopier is most troublesome, it's connecting at 10 Mbps / half duplex and link is regularly going down and up every...
  4. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

I finally had some free time today to test the new switch and it is loud even on low fan speed. During work hours ambient noise masks it, but in the evening it was clearly audible and fairly distracting.
  5. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

Thanks, everyone! I know it's EOL, I am more worried about noise, but as long as it's not too loud it should be ok as it will be separated from office by plasterboard. Anyway it was too cheap to resist so I bought one. I should get it next week and I'll report back.
  6. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

Layer 3 would be useful, but it's not essential
  7. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

That's unfortunate, I intended to use non PoE variant in our office to consolidate whole network into singe switch (currently scattered over several switches). Any recommendations for something similar to HP 5120-24G? I was looking into buying HP 1920-24G, as it's fanless, but it's costs more...
  8. Q

HP 5120-24G noise

Does anyone here use HP 5120-24G switch, is it loud? I can't find any info on fan noise of this unit.
  9. Q

ES Xeon Discussion

Very useful info, than you. These e5-2683v3 seem very good value. I have been looking at e5-2678v3 and various v4 ES cpus but production e5-2683v3 at around 700usd for pair are my current favourite choice.
  10. Q

ES Xeon Discussion

I asked this as in HwInfo64 both M0/2 and R2/2 seem to be labelled as C0/C1 and SR1XH, for example: M0/2 - Intel Xeon E5-2683 V3 SR1XH 2.0GHz 14Core 35M 9.6GT/s LGA2011-3 CPU Processor | eBay R2/2 - Intel Xeon E5-2683 V3 SR1XH 2.0GHz 14 core 35M R2 step. 2 I learned in the mean time that...
  11. Q

ES Xeon Discussion

Well that the part that's confusing me most as I have seen both versions mentioned and marked as QS, ES and even production (sspec SR1XH).
  12. Q

ES Xeon Discussion

Hi everyone, new member here. I am looking into buying 2x E5-2683 v3 so was wandering if I should choose revision M0 (stepping 2) or R2 (stepping 2)? I intend to use it with Supermicro 7038A-i mostly for architectural visualizations/rendering.