Search results

1. M

What is actually supplied in a SuperMicro chasis?

Okay, what does that connect to? For example would one use one of those SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 SAS connectors?
  2. M

Where do I see the backplane info in the model I linked?
  3. M

All of my server builds have been on those cheapo Norco 24 cases. I need to rebuild one of these machines that keeps disappearing HDs. Also touching the case seems to disconnect the drives. This is no fun. The proposal is to use about $1.5k to get a new chassis and cables. Do SuperMicro cases...
  4. M

Force Online Windows 10 RAID5 Dynamic Disk?

Okay, I have 5 drives in a a RAID5. To my knowledge there are no problems with the drives. A few months later I switched from Server 2012 to Windows 10, and imported the foreign drives. The drives appear as failed (attachment), and going to "reactive" doesn't do anything. Anybody know whats up?
  5. M

Alternative to Intel RES2CV360

No, not really sure what it is. I basically have had trouble finding high port count devices.
  6. M

Alternative to Intel RES2CV360

So, I've been using the PCIe version of these guys as a way to fill 24 drive Norco cases. The non-pcie version is a cluster cuss, mostly because drives drop as it bends. I think I bought them all, and they've become increasingly difficult to source. Is there a more modern expander card that...
  7. M

Toshiba 14TB and Adaptect HW RAID

The issue somehow fixed itself after a few reboots, and I was able to create the array without this wacky error. In between reboots I also forced online one of my other volumes.
  8. M

Okay gave it a shot. Can't seem to make any drive. Tried to make a single "simple volume" out of one of the drives, same error. Tried to make a 4 TB simple volume, same error.
  9. M

Just got 8x14TB of drives, but I'm getting some weird error when trying to add them to my array: The specified free space does not exist. This is kinda weird because the Adaptect utility choose the filesize (see attached screen shots). Similar nonsense with RAID6 or other options. Anybody...
  10. M

Adaptec 8805 can't force on volume

Okay this got fixed. In short, you need to create a new volume with the exact same settings as the old volume and skip the initialization step.
  11. M

Adaptec 8805 can't force on volume

Okay, Somebody was playing with the power on the server. I have a RAID5 80 TB array whose members show as optimal but the logic volume shows as failed. The drives are fine because I can read their info (temperature for example), and I don't expect there to be much of any data loss. I tried to...
  12. M

Adaptec RAID Can't Detect Sunrich S-331 (Marvell 9235 )

Hmm, can anybody recommend a card with hardware RAID (because Windows) that does work with port multipliers? I can't get rid of the multipliers because they are, literally, the backplane. Whats the actual reason why they don't work? I'm also curious what happens if I run the thing through an...
  13. M

Adaptec RAID Can't Detect Sunrich S-331 (Marvell 9235 )

So, I've kinda given up on Windows Storage Spaces, but now I'm having trouble with interfacing my RAID card and backplane. So, I got an Adaptec 8805 RAID card (latest firmware) that I've pulled from a working system. When I hook up the SATA ports to the a Sunrich S-331 backplane (Marvell 9235...
  14. M

Poor Performance with 24x8TB Drive with Storage Spaces

Nice find! If you look at the graph Spaces Dual Parity vs. Spaces Dual Parity mit WBC vs. HW RAID 6 The “Restore” (sequential access, 100% write, 64 kB block size). Is what I'm testing. "Dual Parity - 8 HDDs + 1 GB WBC" get around 250 MB/s "HW-RAID6 - 8 HDDs" gets around 1250 MB/s Wow, so I...
  15. M

Yeah, I'd like to point out that even without parity its 2x worse.
  16. M

So, I went to build a BackBlaze Storage Pod 6.0, with a few twists including getting 256GB of RAM and 2 CPUs + 10G + Server 2016. Open Source Storage Server: 60 Hard Drives 480TB Storage As I'm getting this system online I wanted to compare the performance to a similar Adaptec Raid 6 system...
  17. M

Hardware or Software Raid for 30x6TB Windows Build

Is that because storage spaces really sucks, or would one get similar performance from a comparable linux software RAID? On previous build, using an Adaptec hardware RAID controller and Intel spliter, I got 2000 MB/s on a new 24x6 TB array. As the drive got full it drops to something like 400...
  18. M

So, if I put together 30 drives, add RAID60 I'll get worse performance than a single drive?
  19. M

So, basically give up on hardware RAID?