Search results

1. G

[resolved] Switch Suggestions, please

That's okay with me... This will be the first experience I've had with any Cisco branded managed switch, so I won't have to unlearn anything. In the past, I've only dealt with cheaper netgear "smart" and "plus" switches (which are 100% WebUI.) I'm kind of looking forward to the experience.
  2. G

Okay... my boss took my lists, comments, prices, etc... and decided to go with the Cisco SG300 switches. (Based on the info I was able to gather, it seemed like the best value. No 10G, but really no need for it either.) I guess I'm going to be spending the weekend playing on Cisco's emulator...
  3. G

I don't mind if the initial setup is a PITA, as long as I don't have to revisit it very often. I am curious, though, that if they wouldn't be your first recommendation.... what your first recommendation would be?
  4. G

Pyro_, do all the HP 1820 POE switches only offer POE on 50% of the ports? In other words, to get 24 ports, it appears I'd have to get the 1820-48G-POE model (370 watts for only 24 powered ports???) Or is it that 50% of them are POE+ and the other 50% are regular (802.3af) POE? The specs...
  5. G

In all honesty, Ubuiqiti scares me. I like their AP's, but I always feel like I'm a beta tester regardless of it I'm using their "release" firmware or not. I've done research on their routers, but they also seem un-finished. (For example, half-baked IPv6 support - if any IPv6 support at all.)...
  6. G

Patrick, I appreciate the reply, but I was hoping to keep the budget a bit lower than that. Are there any thoughts on the Cisco "SG200" series? The SG200-50 non-POE and SG200-26FP POE switches appear to meet the requirements I have. However, I'm completely unfamiliar with them.
  7. G

I've been asked to help my employer find a couple of replacement switches for his office network. This is a very small company, and there's no official IT department or network administrator(s), so the switch will have to be set up and maintained by me. (I'm not a proficient network...
  8. G

HyperV - Move VMs from one drive to another?

The "Move" option on the right-click menu IS live migration. That's how to kick off a live migration. If the server is started, it moves the running VM while it's still running. If the VM is stopped, obviously it moves the non-running VM. Everyone keeps talking about "live migration" and a...
  9. G

Ah.. I was confused as an earlier post in the thread made reference to Windows 7, but there was no mention of hosting OS. I didn't know that live migration had to be specifically installed. I knew that the "destination" side had to have a couple of options enabled to accept the migration, but...
  10. G

"Move" is live migration and isn't available on non-server OS's.
  11. G

SMB Server Migration

I don't understand what you mean by "virtualized domain"
  12. G

Understanding licensing for Server 2016

It's fairly simple. I install server 2012R2 from ISO into a VM, I type in the key when it prompts, and after the install is completed, it says its activated when I check. A few days later (when I'm done with the VM), I delete it. I'm still in compliance with the licensing as I never have more...
  13. G

Something to be careful with in regards to Microsoft licensing: There's very little (if any) code in the products that stops your from violating your licensing terms. You could, in theory, take a single standard server license, install it a hyper-V host (full server std with only the hyper-v...
  14. G

SMB Server Migration

Yep, completely rebuilt them. In my case, it was a Good Thing, as the SBS domain was my first go-around with active directory, domain policies, etc - so there was a lot of cruft in there for me to clean out. As well, with a only 4 users, it wasn't difficult. One policy set for my kids, one for...
  15. G

My understanding of MS licensing in regards to 2012 R2 Essentials is that you "can" use the bare metal installation _and_ the VM installation both. HOWEVER, it won't work for much because real Essentials want's to be the primary... so if you have anything other than the hyper-v role installed...
  16. G

SMB Server Migration

One more tidbit of advice: Don't migrate directly from SBS to Essentials if you only have 10 users. SBS created a ton of policies and groups that aren't really used with Essentials (which uses different policies and groups.. heh.) When FIRST migrated from SBS to essentials (home network with...
  17. G

SMB Server Migration

The path from SBS is Server Essentials. You lose Exchange in the process. There are several posts across the internet detailing the migration steps. (google "migrate SBS to Essentials 2012 R2". Here's one on the first page of results: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Migration – Keys to...
  18. G

IT depends... If your running Hyper-V on two standard or data center servers, the easiest way to move them would be to just use live migration. No mess, or hassle. If one of the two machines isn't a server product (for example, it's Windows 10), then you have to export/import. In that case...
  19. G

Bug in Intel Atom C2000 series processors?

Can you please provide a link to something where Intel says that early processors aren't impacted? I'm not doubting that it exists, but it's something I haven't read. Here's an article that has some interesting (if useless) info from intel quotes: Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking...
  20. G

Bug in Intel Atom C2000 series processors?

Source? Everything I've read indicates that ALL the C2xxx chips with the B0 stepping are impacted. Here's what Intel says about it (from http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/atom-c2000-family-spec-update.pdf) (Oddly, I thought I read something...