Search results

1. G

Sabrent NT-SS5G Review USB to 5GbE NIC

@tigweld0101 Did you change any of the driver settings to get the send performance above 3 Gb/s or was it just out of the box ?
  2. G

They're identical. Thanks for your input.
  3. G

For your use case of a peer to peer connection between 2 laptops the VLAN issue is probably not that important. However, it shows that the current driver is buggy and you never know what other crocodiles are lurking in other corners. ;) Also, I still find it not convincing to see about 500 Mb/s...
  4. G

OK, I can now exclude a hardware issue after receiving a replacement adapter and both show the same problem as described above. However, when further investigating I discovered a real show-stopper for this adapter, at least with the current Windows 10 driver. When I received the replacement...
  5. G

@Rohit Kumar It would be really helpful for me to know if your performance tests did also cover the NT-SS5G working as the sending device. If yes and the results were as published it would be a strong indication for me that the one I received has a hardware defect in the transmitter electronics.
  6. G

This adapter does show some strange performance on my side. Whatever I do I can't get more than about 150 MB/s average throughput when the adapter is working as the sending side of a connection. I've tested with iperf3 and it gives me a stable throughput of about 3.45 Gb/s when the machine with...
  7. G

256GB on Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF

Unfortunately this is also my experience and seems to be their general support policy. They generally do not publish the BIOS changelogs but it looks like you can get a particular when asking for it within the communication on a support case. At least I was successful in getting the BIOS...
  8. G

256GB on Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF

@EffrafaxOfWug Did you receive any feedback from SM support ? I'm running a A2SDi-H-TF with 128GB memory myself on BIOS 1.1c without problems. The system is currently only the backup for my main server but roles will soon be swapped between the two. Usually I bring the BIOS to the latest...
  9. G

ZFS Allocation Classes // performance benchmarks

@gea In your benchmark report you write: "Result compared to 2.) is very different. As the filesystem recordsize is equal to the special_small_block size, all data land on the Optane. This is why you want this feature, to decide if a filesystem writes to regular vdevs or the special vdev."...
  10. G

ZFSonLinux QAT acceleration in 0.7.0

Unfortunately I currently don't have the possibility to run this kind of setup because my root is on zfs and I'm working on some other nasty issue. In general the key to get QAT acceleration for zfs 0.7.12 working is to have the qat driver loaded and initialized before the zfs kernel modules...
  11. G

What do you get if you run: lsinitramfs -l /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` |grep zfs.ko ?
  12. G

Ooops, important correction ! Step no. 4 has to be: Add the Debian "stretch-backports" repo to your sources.list. apt-get -t stretch-backports install zfs-dkms This will get you ZoL 0.7.12 while the zfs-dkms from the contrib repo does only have 0.6.5.9-5 which is in conflict with 0.7.12 that...
  13. G

If you're on Proxmox 5.3 and have recent QAT hardware that is supported by the latest Intel QAT driver 1.7 it's sufficient to: 1. download the Intel QAT driver https://01.org/sites/default/files/downloads//qat1.7.l.4.4.0-00023.tar.gz 2. follow the instructions in the Getting Started Guide...
  14. G

Supermicro Denverton boards do not fully support Optane drives

Well, at least this is the statement of their PM I had received in the communication on a support case. After I plugged one of these Optane 900P 280GB beauties into the M.2 slot (see https://www.servethehome.com/difference-intel-optane-900p-280gb-ssdpe21d280gasm-ssdpe21d280gasx) on an...
  15. G

zpool parallel disk spinup daemon

Disk power management in Solaris is a nice feature for home servers to spare energy and cost but it is almost impractical for larger zpools. The problem is that the disks of a sleeping pool are powered up sequentially instead of all in parallel. While this staggered spinup of a zpool could be a...
  16. G

All-In-One with SmartOS/OI on mirrorred ZFS bootdisks

I have two questions regarding your all-in-one setup instructions. You say: "Create a new VM (Solaris 10-64Bit, min 20 GB systemdisk, 4 GB RAM+ the more the faster, single core, with ESXi5 dualcore, VMCI enabled, added SAS-PCI adapter, DVD connected to your uploaded Omni/ OpenIndiana ISO"...
  17. G

All-In-One with SmartOS/OI on mirrorred ZFS bootdisks

I did setup my all-in-one with a mirrored rpool for the OmniOS fileserver manually some time ago. To prevent the OmniOS VM from freezing in case of a disk failure I did enter the following configuration parameters in the .vmx file (can also be done via the vSphere Client GUI)...