Search results

1. N

New ZFS storage server with napp-it - Some problems

Right, thanks. Guess I'll just buy more M1015s when more ports are required.
  2. N

Thanks. Helped a lot trying to follow the NFS instructions instead of SMB. SMB still doesn't work from my Win7 computer, but that's not critical. Has anyone tried installing ESXi _and_ OpenIndiana to a USB stick? Would be nice to free the on board SATA controller for passthrough to the VM.
  3. N

I'm setting up my storage server, inspired by the "All-in-One" napp-it setup. I have installed ESXi, created a VM with latest OpenIndiana, and installed napp-it. I have set up the /tank pool, and I try to create a ZFS Folder shared by SMB. Aparently, something was missing, because I had to...
  4. N

Supermicro X9SCM/X9SCL LGA-1155 Xeon Motherboard Series

I have installed ESXi 5 and I'm trying to pass through my IBM M1015 Raid controller. However, ESXi reports that "host does not support passthrough configuration". I have tried both enabling and disabling virtualization features in the BIOS, but no change... Anybody experienced this? Edit...
  5. N

Just got my server set up with a X9SCM-F. Everything seems to work just fine, exepct it beeps like crazy, like an ambulance, when booting. It's just during POST and OS bootup. When the OS has loaded, the beeping stops. The CPU temp is about 36 degrees celcius, so that should not be the problem...
  6. N

IBM M1015 Firmware - What to flash with

You were probably right, but even disabling everything didn't free enough option ROM. But it did work in a different motherboard. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced controller that handles SSDs in RAID well, and works properly in a desktop Z68 board?
  7. N

IBM M1015 Firmware - What to flash with

Has anyone experienced trouble getting into the card's BIOS? Pressing ctrl+h doesn't do anything. But the card shows up in Windows and recognizes the attached disks.
  8. N

Hitachi Deskstar 3 TB $107 Amazon

No, Swedish VAT is deducted from the price, but Norwegian VAT is added when importing, so the price will be the same. Looks like the deal at Amazon is over...
  9. N

Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Check this thread: http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?156-Supermicro-X9SCM-X9SCL-LGA-1155-Xeon-Motherboard-Series&p=2203&viewfull=1#post2203 So aparently, it exists.
  10. N

Looks like it's up to $119.99 now. Still a great deal.
  11. N

Recommendation for non-RAID, JBOD PCIe card supporting 3TB drives

According to many users both here and over at other communities, the M1015 is well known to support both JBOD, and from what I have read, also can be flashed with "IT"-mode firmware.
  12. N

Yeah, they sell for $274 here...
  13. N

Wow! That's a great deal. Could need 5 of those. Too bad they don't ship to Norway :(
  14. N

Mix regular and "advanced format" drives in same RAID-Z?

I have three (individual) WD20EADS 512b sector drives, and I'm thinking of expanding to a 5-drive RAID-Z array. The EADS are almost impossible to get hold of these days, so it appears that I have to buy a couple of "advanced format" drives (either WD20EARS, Samsung F4 or something else). Is it...
  15. N

Has anyone found 8gb ecc unbuffered modules yet?
  16. N

Server this weekend

I only get '404 not found' on the articles on the front page. Is this related?
  17. N

ESXi : Is PCI-Passthrough really designed for storage?

Yes, I was thinking about both the SAS-controller and the onboard SATA kontroller. I've read that even though they show up as available for passthrough, it doesn't always work.
  18. N

ESXi : Is PCI-Passthrough really designed for storage?

Does it work with VMDirectPath also? Can you pass through the motherboard SATA controller?
  19. N

AMD Opteron 6100 Series Builds

I'd be very interested to know how these work with ESXi and VMDirectPath.