Search results

1. P

Bulk Optimize Media for Plex Direct Play

True... If I were in your shoes I'd make the decision based on the majority. Or at least gift upgrade those that can handle it and be done. Either way you'll be transcoding less, freeing up server CPU load for other tasks. And using less storage. Handbrake even includes a preset for...
  2. P

Half kidding here but might it just be cheaper and easier to get everybody a Chromecast 2, still only $35.... Mine direct plays most content.
  3. P

I'd like to chime in on a minor point here, I believe you can have duplicate files next to each other. Plex will denote this with a number in one of the top corners of the poster for the file and then give the most correct one to the client for play based on the clients playback capabilities...
  4. P

FreeNAS Corral Canned – Development Essentially Halted for Now

#brettdavisisthetruth :) once again I would like to extend a big ol' thank you to Brett for hopping on the bus of truth and driving it til the wheels fall off. Your unprompted original post and subsequent replies to multiple other posts, in my book, speaks volumes to the professionalism of you...
  5. P

FreeNAS Corral Canned – Development Essentially Halted for Now

Brett, it means a lot that you stepped up here to chime in so please know that I sincerely appreciate your candor. The only thing I'm mildly upset about is having spent all this time, since release, working with containers (with a love-hate relationship) and now having to put it all on pause...
  6. P

FreeNAS server...will this hardware suffice? Multiple zpools?

Hmmm well I've never used VMware I/O analyzer so I'm not much help there. Off the top of my head I can tell you that I ran iperf and ATTO, and I few others the names of which escape me at the moment. Anybody else have any ideas, care to add anything?
  7. P

If the hardware can handle the workload and it works for you I say go for it. There's a best practices guide for virtualization by the FreeNAS developers out there floating around so stick to that and everything should be fine. I have both and while the AIO setup is more for sandbox testing...
  8. P

You've given the handbook a quick read through, yes? 7. Network — FreeNAS® User Guide 9.10.2-U2 Table of Contents
  9. P

I presume that is accurate. I haven't done much official work with VLANs only "will this work" testing. And yeah same here, I'm a visual kinda guy so I'll see if I can dig those up for ya and post em' tonight.
  10. P

Mine is similar, 10GbE direct attached to ESXi. Then 4x 1GbE (lagg0 using LACP) to the main switch. Bare metal FreeNAS is an A1SRM-2758F and the ESXi boxes are X9SCM-F-O but one box is bare metal ESXi and the other is an AIO setup but all have X520-DA2's and are direct attached for backups and...
  11. P

At the time of that testing I was on 9.3 but I have since moved to 9.10 (and ESXi 6.5) but I am eagerly awaiting 10 (due in about 2 days). A major transition I'm both excited for and slightly nervous about is their move to Docker containers from BSD jails which I've come to know and love. I've...
  12. P

Lol same same!!! Usually I can come up with at least some justification to the Mrs as to why I'm acquiring new hardware but when I attempted I do so for some 40GbE adapters, a switch to match and a 12G SAS expander shelf, all I could muster was "ummm because it'd be sweet and really really...
  13. P

Affirmative, that's network throughput not disk. I apologize for not clarifying as I can see now that seemed a bit misleading.
  14. P

Also the FreeNAS box has 4 pools; 4x S3500 for SAN (ESXi datastore), 2x i535 mirror for jails, 4x 3TB WD Red main bulk storage and 2x 1TB mirror WD Blacks for NAS user folders. The SAN storage and bulk storage are striped mirrors whereas the other 2 pools are just straight mirrors.
  15. P

Correct, to be more precise, I believe it was like 9.28Gbps. ESXi 6, FreeNAS 9.3 and Intel X520-DA2 in each box using 1m DAC. Oh and jumbo frames @9k.
  16. P

My research has indicated over and over that while iSCSI is typically faster, NFS is easier to setup and go. For NFS, there also isn't a space utilization penalty of 'dont use more than 50% of the pool' (which is what the FreeNAS handbook states when using iSCSI). I don't have the benchmark...
  17. P

I opted for FreeNAS + ESXi combo and have been quite pleased. This particular box is more for sandbox testing so I don't break the bare metal setups I have which are ESXi and FreeNAS. I've been using 4x Intel S3500's (striped mirrors) in the bare metal FreeNAS box for SAN storage, exported via...