Search results

1. Kaishi

booting pfsense on 5018A-FTN4 server?

Different serial number than the one I started with. Different MAC addresses too. I can try the CMOS clear jumper as well. I haven't, because I have to open the enclosure which means unracking it again. The board does allow you to install your own keys. I have never signed a bootloader and...
  2. Kaishi

Just for you, I did exactly this, a second time. No difference whatsoever. Same weird anomalous behavior. I haven't tried removing the CMOS battery but that's about the last thing I can even conceive of (maybe some firmware-level soft-fuse for it having booted in SecureBoot mode before?)
  3. Kaishi

I don't mean in the boot order either. I mean literally the SATA controller's section of the motherboard's UEFI. The SATA is provided by the C2758 itself, if I understand correctly. The disk themselves show up as [Not Installed]. And thereby cannot be used within the boot order (according to...
  4. Kaishi

I will try this out this evening. I'm not using a VM. This is a bare-metal install. The confusing part is that the Motherboard's SATA configuration only lists the SATA Disks as being present when SecureBoot is Enabled. Without SecureBoot, while in the UEFI, the SATA settings show [Not...
  5. Kaishi

I can try that. But also, I did try something to that effect back when I made the post you quoted. However it didn't seem to help. But then I might have done something wrong. I'm not super familiar with these subtle nuances. In my experience, BIOS+MBR worked, and now, UEFI+GPT works...
  6. Kaishi

Loaded optimized defaults. Made sure secureboot was disabled. Deleted keys so system was in setup mode. Rebooted into pfsense installer thumb drive. Installed pfsense on a single disk (ada1). Finished install. Rebooted. No OS found, not even the copy of Windows 10 on the other disk (ada0)...
  7. Kaishi

Literally one of the first things I tried. No improvement. I tried it again last week just for fun. No change. Since thing I've confirmed that my system will install and boot Windows 10. It refuses to boot any POSIX OS including pfsense / opnsense. It doesn't want to boot anything without...
  8. Kaishi

QAT isn't the priority right now. Just getting this system to boot _any_ POSIX OS at all would be a step in the right direction. From there I can decide what to do about one OS vs another. Are you suggesting I should consider OPNsense instead of pfsense?
  9. Kaishi

I found a very interesting post from 2014 on the netgate forums: Installing pfSense on a Supermicro 5018A-FTN4 SuperServer | Netgate Forum Suffice to say, someone indicated that this board is picky about SSD controllers. They cited that it didn't like Marvell controllers in some SSDs they...
  10. Kaishi

So, I broke down and replaced the SSDs. I picked up some cheap PNY 120GB SATA3 ones, and installed them. Right out of the box, the motherboard's firmware doesn't see the disks. SATA controller says nothing is attached. I enable the CSM, for good measure. I make sure Secureboot is turned...
  11. Kaishi

Atom C2758 on borrowed time?

I haven't been able to get it to work, actually. I'm not sure what's wrong but I'm ready to try different storage devices.
  12. Kaishi

@ske4za would you be able to post screenshots of your BIOS settings? I want to try a 1:1 test to see if it is something with my board or my SSDs.
  13. Kaishi

That does help, thanks for the information. At this point, I'm considering throwing down for either a Netgate subscription, or, for a C3000 board.
  14. Kaishi

I haven't tried it yet. I was disheartened when I couldn't get it to boot in UEFI mode but with the CSM enabled. I've confirmed that the system totally loves Windows 10 and has no problems at all running. I even got all the drivers working. I have 2 ideas about what could be the issue: 1)...
  15. Kaishi

Replacement board arrived, I'll be installing it today, and seeing if that fixes the issue. EDIT: so far, not much better. I haven't had it boot pfsense. Now I'm starting to wonder about my SSDs being somehow incompatible with this board, or needing some kind of firmware update. They're...
  16. Kaishi

After speaking at length with SuperMicro, they indicated that they would like me to RMA this board. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of the C2000 bug but, it's surely annoying.
  17. Kaishi

I called SuperMicro to ask them about it. I sent them an email linking to this thread but also including the serial number, MAC addresses, etc. Also, I managed to reach another owner via Reddit, one who is using this exact board for his own pfsense box, and isn't having the issues that I'm...
  18. Kaishi

The latest, which is version 2.2 I tried installing in full compatibility mode, even down to using the SATA controller in IDE mode. No difference.
  19. Kaishi

I tried installing TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE and had the exact same experience. Nothing shows up in the EFI for me to boot. EDIT: I'm starting to think this board's firmware is hardcoded to look specifically for Windows boot EFI files and nothing else. EDIT2: I decided to try installing VyOS...
  20. Kaishi

Is your install in native UEFI mode? Or are you using any BIOS-compatibility options? For example, the Compatibility Support Module (CSM)