Search results

1. A

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Noted. But I'm asking about data drives, not separate log devices.
  2. A

Any reason NOT to keep a 400GB as a spare for a ZFS pool of 400GB S3710? Are there better options that don't cost too much more?
  3. A

I would not run VMs without redundancy. Maybe in a 100% testing scenario.
  4. A

e5-2650 v2 for $75-80 or less

ARK says 2670 (v1) has PCIe3. And Passmark shows the 2650v2 being slightly faster, in both 1T & all-core. Just FWIW.
  5. A

Everyone's next boot drive S3500 480GB $120

Yes. Note that the smaller drives are slower, as typical for flash. Full specs in ARK.
  6. A

Everyone's next boot drive S3500 480GB $120

The S3500 offers power-loss protection, which lets the drive write pending data & shut down correctly when it loses power.
  7. A

HP H220 (9207-8i) cards $48 OBO + FS

Quick! Counter at $28!
  8. A

FS: Fluke Kit, PCIE SSD , DDR3/4 ECC RAM, 48P-POE SW, SAS2 HBA and more

The H220s are SAS2308? Can they run normal LSI firmware, or are they locked to HP's?
  9. A

DIY Data recovery from 'dead' drives

In my experience, the freezer method has worked for 1-2 drives that would NOT spin up at ambient temperature. Not sure if they'd been sitting too long, had lubrication break down in the motor, or what; but it definitely can work. As a last-ditch effort, of course. That said, I'll try canned...
  10. A

DIY Data recovery from 'dead' drives

You don't need to seal it with the gloves, etc. You do need clean air going into the box, with enough flow that no air comes in elsewhere. Youtube has videos of platter swaps that will show you this & more. The job takes an experienced hand 30 minutes or so.
  11. A

Intel 320 SSD 40GB @$20 each for a pair

Intel 320, 80GB at $35. No comment on hours, but 100% seller & make offer...
  12. A

FreeNAS 11

I tried 11 a while ago & had problems with VMWare snapshots - 1 Windows VM always failed. Gave it another try last night, and I'm seeing the same thing. Setup is a typical AIO with datastore via NFS, LSI passthru, etc. UPDATE: This is a known issue, which affects ESXi with free license. See...
  13. A

850EVO SSD Sale - 250GB & 500GB

They're good-value client drives, but definitely not a top pick for server use.
  14. A

Can the HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T run both FreeNAS and Pfsense?

Vegeta, I was in a similar situation a few years ago, wanting a high-value ESXi box with all the features on a budget. I ended up buying a used HP Z210 on Ebay. It has a Sandy Bridge E3 & Intel NIC, and I've added a few things. 32GB of ECC UDIMMs was the expensive upgrade (other than disks...
  15. A

Can the HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T run both FreeNAS and Pfsense?

FreeNAS doesn't support AMD? Both the 9.10 & 11 docs point to the FreeBSD compatibility list here. Looks supported to me. Boy, you've got to love Intel. What a mess.
  16. A

TP-Link Switches on Amazon (1Gbps + 10Gbps models)

Which is why you should get something else for 4x SFP+. FWIW, the L3 license is even sillier at $450+. Seems to me that the competition for this is the Mikrotik CSS326 at $140ish. Other candidates?
  17. A

TP-Link Switches on Amazon (1Gbps + 10Gbps models)

Amazon has the T2700G-28TQ for $160, which looks like a massive discount at Camel^3. It is not fanless & includes only 2x SFP+ ports. You can add 2 more SFP+ and unlock "advanced L3 routing features" for extra cost, but pricing says you should buy something else. On the positive side, it...
  18. A

80GB S3500 for $30/bo (accepted $25ea for 10)

I don't believe that article supports the metadata-only idea. And it is consistent with information I've seen elsewhere. A few quick specifics: How will ZIL (either on-pool or as discrete hardware) protect your data if only metadata is written to it? If only metadata is written, why should...
  19. A

80GB S3500 for $30/bo (accepted $25ea for 10)

I believe this is incorrect & that ZIL writes include all data.
  20. A

NDS2241-JD 24 X 2.5" SAS/SATA JBOD Storage Array

Dual-ported 3Gb channels?