Search results

1. andrewbedia

"Open Box" Xeon D-1521 Motherboard $115 obo

Oh yes, definitely had ones that worked and then failed while in my possession. Had ones that worked when I put them away on a shelf and then didn't when I tried to use them again.
  2. andrewbedia

I've never had one in my possession since new.
  3. andrewbedia

from my experience as a former employee of Datto supporting these installed into U-NAS cases and owning a few personally, they fail way too often. strongly recommend avoiding. excellent when they work, baffling when they malfunction in a variety of ways I've never been able to fix. maybe if...
  4. andrewbedia

Proxmox PBS and zfs hot spare?

not a proxmox user, but I believe the command you are looking for is "zpool" and not "zfs"
  5. andrewbedia

GIGABYTE MB10 Datto Motherbaord Xeon D-1521 with I/O Shield - $130 + shipping

The 'correct' replacement for the very bad fan that comes with it is For DELTA EFB0512HHA DC12V 0.2A 50*50*10mm 4pin server cooling fan | eBay from my experiencing owning many of these. This seller seems to sell genuine ones -- blades are the correct shape and no blurry/photocopied motor hub...
  6. andrewbedia

Gigabyte MU92-TU1 PCIe Bifurcation

Definitely a curious thing. It is expected and normal that in-band flashing tools (afudos) and built-in out-of-band tools (ipmi) will not work because signature checks fail. It is odd to have a SOP16 bios chip -- I've never seen one used for BIOS before either. CH341A can maybe work but I've...
  7. andrewbedia

How Bad are Chipset/PCH Lanes?

...why not use CPU lanes? both AMD and Intel have built-in graphics options for DDR5 stuff
  8. andrewbedia

ZOL - recover lacked MBR after physical problem

have you tried using testdisk to find the partition? you might also be able to dump the parition table from one drive and restore it to the other with gdisk/fdisk (assuming they both had the same size partition for zfs and in the same spot on both) you might also be able to import the one disk...
  9. andrewbedia

Drive types / filesystem / method to avoid corrupt data ?

> put ECC RDIMM into an AM4 and run it unbuffered Sadly, no. CPU's IMC communicating with registered DIMMs vs unbuffered is completely different.
  10. andrewbedia

> Do you reckon that if I went the Ryzen route, instead of "budget" EPYC route that I was asking for guidance on, that I would be missing some critical features and is it a major disadvantage to have unregistered ECC as that is the only kind that Ryzen supports ? If you are using it for home...
  11. andrewbedia

As a former user of ZFS in a professional environment (Datto employee) across a very large fleet of devices, I can emphatically say that a lack of ECC and a stick of RAM that has gone bad can and does result in ZFS corruption in a very reproducible fashion. Reproduce means: 1. I detect...
  12. andrewbedia

Gigabyte MD71-HB0 (also: datto siris 4 enterprise) bifurcation bios mod

A guide. Gigabyte has chosen not to expose bifurcation capabilities on this board. This board is also found in Datto Siris 4 Enterprise appliances if you scoop them up on ebay or whatever. Obvious warning that this is not running per the mfr specs anymore if you do this and I will not fix your...
  13. andrewbedia

My HDDs get too hot. What type of fans do I need?

I have to second the notion on Arctic P12. They're really good for $7-10 each Even better if you can find them are Nidec Servo's "Gentle Typhoon" fans. Do you have noise requirements? If not, see if you can get PWM Delta fans. They aren't quiet but they aren't usually as expensive as Noctua.
  14. andrewbedia

can i use nvme ssd with lenovo NX360 M5?

NVMe is just PCIe. It will work in anything with PCIe. booting from it is a separate concern @uberguru
  15. andrewbedia

can i use nvme ssd with lenovo NX360 M5?

the problem with older server is that the system firmware does not have the UEFI drivers (called DXEs) for NVMe devices. so, unless the NVMe device has its own OPROM, it won't be seen as a bootable device. What you can do is put a bootloader on a different type of device or try and dynamically...
  16. andrewbedia

Looking for advice on running unsupported Truenas configs

Late to this, but you really dont want to use H730. You should swap to H330/HBA330. There is a HBA mode for H730, but it doesn't 100% pass all of the drive controls/stats to the system, from my experience.
  17. andrewbedia

Need M.2 heatsink recommendations

I have owned a few. My list is pretty short, so take with grains of salt. The best that I have used are the EK ones. The fit, finish, and thermal performance is the best I have used. Not quite as good, but was cheap-- GELID SubZero M.2 MicroConnectors M.2 heatsink (whatever microcenter has) --...
  18. andrewbedia

EDIT*** Questions Re: Onboard LSI3008 and HBA's

I will chime in a bit here. I do have the A1SRI-C2758F board and it did have to go back for warranty about 6 months ago. I did the advance RMA with the credit card deposit and it was completely painless, no questions asked. I use it for basic Internet routing and OpenVPN on a 1000/1000 FTTH...
  19. andrewbedia

Has anyone ever replaced a HD SAS connector?

as far as I know, no difference between the two connectors, but I don't see a link either and I'm assuming you have a Fractal R4/R5 case. Those things have notoriously bad cooling, but you can probably mitigate it with arctic P12/P14 fans. the fans it comes with can't push air through the...
  20. andrewbedia

Boot drive recommendation for (homelab) Proxmox system?

If you have the right board (or dont mind doing some DIY-wiring), I like the 64GB innodisk SATADOMs you can find on ebay pretty inexpensively.