Search results

1. C

ESXI - vSwitch for backup traffic?

Something else to consider if you are open to using another VM backup solution: Here’s how you can get a free Veeam NFR license key Veeam is so simple to set up. It has saved my bacon a few times.
  2. C

ESXi 6.5 installer not seeing USB flash drives

Much appreciated! I think that may be the issue :) I tried a larger USB thumbdrive last evening and noticed it was able to see the drive. I was looking around for documentation on minimum drive size and cannot find anything definitive. Very frustrating, but glad that is all it was.
  3. C

I appreciate the suggestion! Unfortunately, the board I am using has only USB 2.0 ports.. most are on the back at the usual location, but the ones I use are the internal ports mounted on the motherboard itself. I will try different port locations to see if it makes a difference.
  4. C

How can I improve disk performance for my ESXi build?

I have to jump in and give props to FreeNAS as a storage option. I was originally running a single host in my home lab - a SuperMicro X9DR3-LN4f+ (can't say enough good things about this board) with SSD as a local datastore. Performance was great, but I wanted to run with 2 hosts for...
  5. C

I am wondering if anyone is running ESXi on usb flash drives and ran into this issue with ESXi 6.5: Upgrade to ESXi 6.5, installer doesn't find USB... | VMware Communities I wanted to kick the tires on my lab vm hosts. For convenience and simplicity, ESXi is installed to flash drive and after...
  6. C

Mount IScsi as a datastore or Straight to VM

I feel it gives you more flexibility to mount the LUN via initiator within the VM. It depends on your environment. In my home lab I use my Synology to present iSCSI directly to the VM for things like failover clustering or other scenarios where you need shared storage. At my previous job, we...