Search results

1. B

Serve The Home, while keeping an eye on the running (power) costs.

Lately, I see a lot of articles about tiny PCs and the bigger motherboards, but I feel that there is a gap between them. Especially that gap of low power "serious" servers. It may be that low power server boards/systems are few and far between, but they are nonetheless very interesting for those...
  2. B

Frustration with QNAP and expansion bay (TR-004U). Is this normal?

My setup: TS-431XeU and a TR-004, used as shared NFSv3 store for 2 ESXi servers. (I'm stuck with wallmount racks, so can only use short depth devices) My deceptions with this setup: the extension bay (TR-004U) is NOT integrated at all with the main unit software: RAID spanning the main unit...
  3. B

Cisco SG350 series fan replacement?

Although this applies to SG350X, it is very well possible it applies to your switch as well: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/connecting-xeon-d-10g-base-t-to-sfp-switch.16319/page-2, at the top
  4. B

Drive bays compatible with SuperMicro Gen 5.5 (MCP-220-00075-0B)

Hi, Anyone aware of a small (about 4) drive bay that accept MCP-220-00075-0B (Gen 5.5) drive trays? My needs: I'm looking at building a new server, and none of the SM standard cases fit my needs, as I want 3U or 4U, 4 to 6 3.5" HDD, and < 480mm depth. SM does not have that AFAIK. So I'm...
  5. B

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

It does a good job for me. L2 use only of course. Been using with various SFP+ modules. Does jumbo frames (but not with the S+RJ10 of course) No surprises, behaves just like the other CRS3xx switches. Just smaller. A bit of a shame the leds are at the side.
  6. B

Juniper EX4300 & 10GBASE-T SFP+ RJ45 transceiver

reply to myself: Mikrotik S+RJ10 modules do not work unless autonegotiate is set (and do not support jumbo frames). FS.com SFP-10G-T modules do not work unless a fixed speed is set (and do support jumbo frames).
  7. B

Juniper EX4300 & 10GBASE-T SFP+ RJ45 transceiver

slightly off topic: the mikrotik module does not do jumbo frames, so is out of order for me. So I ordered fs.com modules. But they do not work in a Mikrotik switch (they work in cisco). Anybody has succeeded in getting the fs.com copper modules working in a Mikrotik switch?
  8. B

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Did you enable hardware offloading in routerOS? It is not on by default if memory serves well. Haven't tested throughput yet, but theoretically it should lower the load on the CPU. No idea about SwitchOS, I have steered clear from SwitchOS based on the multiple negative reports.
  9. B

MTU on affordable SFP+ to RJ45 modules

By the way, FS claims that their EUR 160 module does jumbo frames. Will test. Updated the first post.
  10. B

MTU on affordable SFP+ to RJ45 modules

Hi, anybody know of an affordable SFP+ 10gbt module that support jumbo frames? My investigation so far (edited with feedback): Mikrotik S+RJ10 (around $65): NOK. 1500 max Mikrotik S+RJ10 Rev 2 (around $65): OK. 10218 max Ubiquity UF-RJ45-10G (around $65): OK, 9000 at least Edgeoptic 10G-SFP-T...
  11. B

Connecting Xeon-D 10G base-T to SFP+ switch

Can't vouch for IBM8124, but I've never seen those mikrotik modules fail. I even used them for a 10G stack between 2 cisco switches for a while, and they did not complain. So they're good for me. They are much cheaper than a new switch, or even a X520-DA2, so why not try it out?
  12. B

SSD Caching for NVR

Not sure if you thought a bout it, but please take a disk with a high DWPD/TBW (you need about 1100TBW if you want to hold on to the disk for 5 years). Most consumer disks will not last long with that kind of load. And with regards to power consumption, there are spinners out there that use...
  13. B

SSD Caching for NVR

Your NVR would need some kind of transparent cache if I understand it correctly, where the dual tier system you need would be hidden from the NVR. You want HSM (Hierarchical storage management - Wikipedia). Not having any details of how your NVR talks to the storage, you MIGHT get lucky with...
  14. B

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

How about a CRS317-1G-16S+RM with a bunch of S+RJ10 ? Much more flexible.
  15. B

Got an Optane and want to get the most out of it

Goal? not really, other than I would like to fill 10gbps, but I know my Xeon D processors will probably have some problems with that. The backups that would need speed are VM images and 'regular' Linux and BSD directory dumps. Right now that is mostly up to 200GB per burst. Having had bad...
  16. B

Got an Optane and want to get the most out of it

Hi, for no other purpose than just looking how far I can go, I decided to build a fast NAS, mainly for a sequential write situation (backup, 'archive' file server). Just want to see how fast I can do my backups. This means that I am looking for configurations where I can use fast storage as a...
  17. B

EU Baytech RPC-3A Remote Power Control @ Ebay 35 Euro

Factory reset procedure (do NOT do unless you have a serial cable, read on): **** To reset the password on the RPC-3A you will have to reset the unit to it's factory default. You can do that by using the following...
  18. B

Cheap 1U PCIe M.2 Riser - why don't they exist?

Anyone tried the latest JEYI MX16-1U (see aliexpress) cards yet? Looks like they would fit: 32mm high. Their predecessors (40mm high) did not, as I found out the hard way.
  19. B

Yes, you'll need to vacuum the thing thoroughly if you want to avoid the smell of burning plastic later on. About the cable: if you have a soldering iron, make one yourself. Or scavenge a cisco cable, turn some wires around and crimp another RJ45 plug on it. Relatively easy to do. And there are...
  20. B

They are electromagnetic, thus represent a large part of the power draw (plus the inefficient darlington optocoupler drivers plus the power supply inefficiency). My guess is that most immediate gain could be had by changing the relays.