Search results

1. O

Dell PowerVault MD1220 + PERC H810

Newbie here when it comes to disk shelves and connectivity to a server. Looking at getting a 24 bay disk shelf (Dell PowerVault MD1220) and a Perc H810 (flashed in IT mode) to run a bunch of SSDs in TrueNas (ZFS), but know nothing about disk shelf connectivity. How do these disk shelves work? I...
  2. O

SATA power connector name

Ah, beautiful! Thank you guys! Exactly what I was looking for.
  3. O

SATA power connector name

I'm looking for the naming nomenclature for the 15 pin SATA power connectors that clamp onto power wires. I need to build a custom cable for a project where I need several SATA power connectors at a specific distance from one another. None of the off-the shelf solutions work. What are they...
  4. O

Looking for connector part number and name

Perfect! Thank you Scott!
  5. O

Looking for connector part number and name

I'm looking for an URL link or part number of the connector typically soldered on the PCB that connects to a SFF-8087 cable. I could not find it on Digikey or mouser (maybe because I didn't really know what to search for) Anyone have any idea what it's called and where I can purchase them?
  6. O

NAS advice

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. Let's step back a little. Is it realistic to compare local SATA 3 SSD read/write speeds of small files with file access (small file size) over a 10GB network (regardless of NAS)? Do latencies over a ethernet 10GB connection allow for this kind of...
  7. O

NAS advice

That's beside the point of this thread. I'm running 24GB of ram for the 19TB array , and I'm aware of the 1GB of ram per TB of storage suggestions. Now how do I improve the network transfer of small files?
  8. O

NAS advice

Well, to compare apples to apples, I tossed in two 850 EVO 250GB SATA SSD into the FreeNAS box, and created a stripped array. I figured this would be the fastest array possible, and I wouldn't be running into storage bottlenecks. The FreeNAS box has 24GB ram. and a 8 core CPU. The CPU hardly...
  9. O

NAS advice

I'm looking at upgrading the performance of my NAS. Currently running FreeNAS on a bunch of 6TB HGST drives. The LAN is 10GB ethernet. I have several workstations on the LAN and they each have a 2TB SATA SSD storage for data, and an NVMe boot disk. I would like to consolidate the SATA SSD...
  10. O

Canada FS: ASRock X399 Motherboard

Selling: ASRock x399 Fatality Professional Gaming motherboard Price: CAD$400 or US$300 (shipping cost is extra) This motherboard just came back from warranty work at ASRock. Anti-static bag is unopened. Comes with original box and peripherals in the box. For reference, this is the motherboard...
  11. O

U.2 nvme enclosure

More performance oriented, with some room to grow in capacity. We were thinking of populating with 2TB drives to start. There's also a 40Gbit network card going into that box to make use of the drive performance.
  12. O

U.2 nvme enclosure

I've been asked to build a "budget" NVMe storage box for a friend. The requirement is that it can handle 8 drives to start and have room to double. This will be built for a testing homelab environment. (Yes, I realize that the words budget and NVMe don't really mix.) Enterprise NVMe drives (in...
  13. O

Samsung PM953 960GB m.2 $255

Anyone know what the physical length of this m.2 SSD is?
  14. O

GPU passthrough issues

Yes. UnRaid's implementation of Xen.
  15. O

GPU passthrough issues

UPDATE: I borrowed an old AMD HD6870 GPU from a friend and tossed it in the system. Booted up and did a quick install of UnRaid, and imagine my surprise when the GPU passed without any hassle to a VM. Next test is to verify stability, and to maybe try ESXi. My love for nvidia is starting to...
  16. O

GPU passthrough issues

Goodpoint. In the ESXi days, I was trying to pass through a Quadro 4000 which is on the approved list for ESXi 5.5. With UnRaid I also tried a GTX 560 Ti
  17. O

GPU passthrough issues

I'm no stranger when it comes to building computers (been at it for over 20 years) but this one problem stumped me. [back story] Last summer I bought a pair of E5-2670 (since they were so cheap) from ebay, and also picked up a ASRock EP2C602 Mobo to consolidate my file server/ESXi...