Search results

1. R

List of NICs and their equivalent OEM parts

Recently picked up a pair of:- Cisco 74-6814-01 Intel 10GB Dual Port Ethernet Adapter N2XX-AIPCI01 (£35ea so seem quite reasonable compared to some of the favourites) Documentation says they are Intel X520/82599...
  2. R

Testing a LGA2011 CPU

OK, I think I may have got lucky. I've rescued a couple of E5-2699 V3 from a skip (dumpster for you guys on the left-hand side of the pond ;-) ) and as far as know they work. While I'd love to construct a kick-ass AIO around one of them I've gotta be realalistic and try to realise their value...
  3. R

Compact lab/hydration host

Thank you, that's what I missed. There does seem to lots of good deals on your side of the pond but I'll probably stick to UK sellers given the uncertainty over getting stung with import duties, VAT, etc. And its easier to go after them if the goods are not as described. I was aware of "ES"...
  4. R

Thanks for that. I'm well aware of the Xeon-D options thanks to the coverage on STH (which I've been reading for a number of years) but as you point out they are still somewhat pricey. 8 core (X10SDV-8C+-LN2F) is over £900 here in the UK VS Xeon E5-2650 8 Core (£44 on Ebay) + X10SRM-TF (£434...
  5. R

I already run a modified HP ML110 G7 to handle my 'production' VM's (DC, TV recorder, storage, etc) and I have accumulated four N40/N54 Microservers to 'play' with in recent years. However for some scenarios such as a hydration lab host or a portable test environment I'm starting to think...
  6. R

Interesting chart

Don't if anyone has seen this before:- ZFS ON LINUX Vs ZFS on OI Chart compares ZFSguru, Freenas, Nas4free, Opensolaris, Nexentor and Linux-ZFS. P.
  7. R

N54L based storage box

No, you misunderstand me or I'm not being very clear. One my original questions was:- "Which storage OS? Nexenta or Napp-it (or Freenas)" So, in other words, which Solaris (or Linux) software RAID would be recommended? Background I've used Nexenta before and been quite impressed. But I've seen...
  8. R

N54L based storage box

That's all well and good but I not looking at hardware RAID at all :-)
  9. R

N54L based storage box

Xpenology looks cool but after hearing too many horror stories about data loss when rebuilding arrays in proprietary NAS's I'm set on a ZFS based solution. P.
  10. R

ThinkServer TS140 with FREE 2012 R2 Essentials

"For a limited time only, Lenovo are offering £75 cash back on the TS140 tower server and an insane £200 cash back on the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials software, effectively making it completely free of charge - when purchased with the TS140."...
  11. R

N54L based storage box

I've been lurking on here for some time, enjoying the ingenuity and useful insights since a colleague at a previous clients put me onto ZFS about 3 years ago. I've amassed 4 HP Microservers (2x N40, 2x N54) and an ML110 G7 which I use as VMware hosts and to experiment. There is also a home brew...
  12. R

All in one build - where to store Nexenta VM

Unless I've misunderstood the concept the Nexenta VM will present the storage out to the other VM's (so long as its started before the others). Smart Array B110i built-in to motherboard:- http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14012_div/14012_div.HTML P.
  13. R

All in one build - where to store Nexenta VM

Hi, Been reading this site for a while and playing with Nexenta (very impressive) on a HP Microserver. While I'll continue to use them for experimenting I want to put together something to replace my ageing socket 478 based server that handles my domain and storage. I've recently acquired...