Search results

1. G

Full height rack - Bolt to wall or floor?

Hi Patrick, that is great input. Assuming 12 machines and a couple of switches, based on the math discussed in some of the posts, that would work out to 3.6 - 5 KW. Having said that, I would still prefer to colocate at a proper facility rather than in my office. Let me speak to HE again and...
  2. G

Sorry, misspelled Amalurk. Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  3. G

Thanks, Amarluk. I needed that reinforcement. I was starting to wonder if I was making a big mistake. May be I should have been more explicit. It is a small office with two rooms. I am intending to set up the racks in one room and keep the door closed so that hopefully I don't get too disturbed...
  4. G

Hi BLinux, its an office building. Just not one geared to handle data centers. Hence my adventure into this territory. I will get a contractor to evaluate feasibility of mounting the racks to the floor. And assuming that I don't load more than 10U in a full height cabinet, I assume we are loaded...
  5. G

Hi Amarluk, I got more than 10 quotes before embarking on this. Hurricane Electric prices are for trial. Actual pricing is significantly more. Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
  6. G

TerryK, thanks for the direction. I saw some of the standards. Compliance complexity is huge. I doubt very much if I can get that even if I get to a low cost colo. Based on your advise, it is evident now that the racks are NOT going to be seismic proof. BLinux, that would be scary if the floor...
  7. G

Perfectly valid, Biren. Thought long and hard about setting up a couple of racks in a co located place. But lowest cost was still working out to not less than 2k per month for a couple of racks. It is a pre-revenue startup. Soon as we have a couple of paying customers who can start covering...
  8. G

Mackle, that is a great idea. I assume that the safest would be to ensure that the racks move / sway / shake along with the axis of the building shake. So may be I can figure out if the local HomeDepot has some kind of 1-2 feet long, 3-4 inch diameter steel rods / shafts that bolt into the racks...
  9. G

Good point, Chris. One of the walls in the room is a shared exterior wall. I will check to see if it can take the load. But, does it make sense to set up the two racks sideways (if the wall can take the load), may be about 6 - 8 away from each other so that there is space between the racks and...
  10. G

I agree. But you don't think it makes sense to attach them to the wall - sideways or something?
  11. G

I did, Chris. I even got their permission to get an electrician to bring in a couple of 30A power points for the power supplies. It is managed by a property management firm. They are agnostic. Their response is that so long as we leave the office behind in good shape, it is upto us to leave it...
  12. G

I am going to run a bunch of production servers on the racks. Don't want to take any chances. Hence, thought would be better to get them fixed. (Watched San Andreas movie not long ago. May be the effect of that. :) )
  13. G

Folks, I am a novice when it comes to setting up a data center. I have two 42U racks that I need to attach to the building frame. I am in SF Bay Area in the Peninsula in a rented place on the second floor. The room where I intend to set up the racks are carpeted. Given a choice, I would like...