Search results

1. chriscambridge

How do you delete a thread?

I cannot see any option?
  2. chriscambridge

Anyone know if the Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 CPU cooler will fit on the Tyan Tomcat HX S8030 mobo (without it hitting VRM's etc)?

As a backup we have also now purchased a Dynatron A39; it has good reviews and is rated for 280w TDP.
  3. chriscambridge

2x EPYC 7713 CPUs bought from a US seller on Ebay..

Yeah well spotted. What I liked about this seller is that on most of his Dell locked CPUs, the photos have a label saying "Dell"; so you know they are going to be vendor locked. Unlike other sellers who hide it within the description, and even fail to disclose this.
  4. chriscambridge

No they are not vendor locked; we double checked that. The seller has a 100% positive feedback, on 63K+ items sold, so I am confident the CPUs will work as expected.
  5. chriscambridge

If anyone is looking for used EPYC 7003 CPU sellers on Ebay, I just bought 2x EPYC 7713 from a US Seller called Parts Cafe. He has 100% positive Feedback on 63K items sold. The CPUs look pretty good, with just minor scratches. The seller was pretty helpful. The CPUs arrived within 48 Hours to...
  6. chriscambridge

Anyone know if the Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 CPU cooler will fit on the Tyan Tomcat HX S8030 mobo (without it hitting VRM's etc)?

Anyone know if the Arctic Freezer 4U SP3 CPU cooler will fit on the Tyan Tomcat HX S8030 mobo? A bit worried that the VRM (?) in front of the CPU socket (and behind the I/O section) is perhaps too high and will hit the cooler? Thanks
  7. chriscambridge

Forum software?

Thanks T_Minus
  8. chriscambridge

Forum software?

I really like this forum and the way it display's not only the forum categories but also the latest posts and other content. I was wondering if someone could tell me what software it is using, as I have been trying to find something similar for a while. It kind of reminds me of a Wordpress...
  9. chriscambridge

1U EPYC Server with FH, FL PCIE Slot for GPU?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice.
  10. chriscambridge

1U EPYC Server with FH, FL PCIE Slot for GPU?

Anyone know of any EPYC Servers that can take a single FH, FL GPU, preferably a GTX/RTX consumer card? I was looking at the Supermicro A+ Server 1014S-WTRT, which has the FH, FL slot, but I cannot see any PCIE power cables from the PSU. Also the specs say it is only rated for the Tesla T4 GPU...
  11. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

Nope, far too much effort. The amount was not actually that much, so in the end it taught me an important lesson without too much cost.
  12. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

I just wanted to share my experience of Aliexpress; it is great for finding products at low prices, but if you have issues and have to return the product, or get refunds, or get Aliexpress staff involved to uphold normal selling practices then it can be somewhat of a minefield. In terms of the...
  13. chriscambridge

3u chinese server cases

I used to use Aliexpress, but when a load of fans turned up all smashed and broken, and the seller offered me a 5% refund, and Aliexpress agreed I stopped using them. I mentioned that I had paid for postage, and therefore under normally selling guarantees, the seller should pay for return...
  14. chriscambridge

Gigabyte HPC Server cooling question?

Oh that does make doing a review kind of difficult :eek: Thanks for the heads up on the DELL (and Inspur) 4U GPU servers; I wasn't actually aware of them. Its actually quite interesting to see how all the different players approach the 4U 8-10 GPU server approach; and from what I see only...
  15. chriscambridge

Thanks that's really useful; I hadn't realized just how much air these Gigabyte midplane fans pull in. I did wonder about that server you reviewed (G481-s80) as it seems to have a very similar chassis to this and another Gigabyte server (G482-Z51). What made me think twice though is the server...
  16. chriscambridge

(I edited my previous reply) I think I have solved this now.. A quick search on that heatsink part number brings up the fact that it is also used on the Gigabyte W291-Z00. https://www.servethehome.com/gigabyte-w291-z00-review-amd-epyc-gpu-server/ A quick search for images of that Tower...
  17. chriscambridge

There are also 4 fans on the back of the chassis. Basically all the fans are pumping air into or extracing out of, the 10 GPUs. I think the way this server may work (in terms of CPU cooling) is by using either 4U active (fan based) heatsinks, or flat/horizontal active (fan based) heatsinks; I...
  18. chriscambridge

There are no fans behind the heatsinks eg the fan wall is in front of the CPUs, not behind it. This is what I meant when I mentioned "excluding heat sinks"; obviously like you say passive heat sinks need air flow.