Search results

1. rubylaser

Weird behavior from HGST 6TB SAS drive

I just bought a used 7K6000 SAS disk to add to one of my Norco 4224 cases at home. I have (3) H310s in this case flashed to IT mode. When I install the disk, the power LED comes on but the disk never powers up or shows up in Linux. Other SAS disks in this same slot, or on the same backplane...
  2. rubylaser

Plex / Fileserver Hardware Suggestions

I have migrated all of my dual 2670 systems to the datacenter. I'm looking for suggestions for a good budget build for my Linux Plex and SnapRAID server. I have 24 disks in this host and currently can only address 16 of them because I'm running this off my i5-4590 socket 1150 system. My...
  3. rubylaser

BTRFS RAID 5/6 found to be unsafe

To anyone using or thinking about using the brtfs in RAID5 or 6 modes, this is worth a read. Btrfs RAID 5/6 Code Found To Be Very Unsafe & Will Likely Require A Rewrite - Phoronix
  4. rubylaser

HGST HE6 6TB $189.99

I just snagged one of these. Seems like a pretty decent deal to me as they've been trending about $100 more than this (6 left). HGST Enterprise Hard Drive HUS726060ALA640 (0F18335) 6TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache I wish I could afford at least one more, but now is not the time :)
  5. rubylaser

[SOLD] HBAs, SAS Expander, & other stuff

UPDATE: Everything is gone. That went fast. Thank you to all the purchasers. I hope you enjoy your new parts :) I have a few random odds and ends hanging around the house and thought I'd post some of them here. [SOLD ITEMS] Intel RES2SV240 $100 (2) IBM m1015's $50 (3) 8087 -> SATA cables...
  6. rubylaser

Ubuntu 16.04 Wierdness

Hello, I just wanted to see if anyone has ran into this before. I have my existing bulk media server running on Ubuntu 14.04.4 64-bit server. Last night, I shut it down and removed my current OS drive and did a fresh 16.04 install on an Intel S3700 200GB SSD I had laying around. I have 24...
  7. rubylaser

[SOLVED] WTB IBM M1015

Does anyone happen to have an m1015 they would like to part with? I have two at home right now, and I'm currently only using one of them plus an Intel SAS expander in my Norco case. I'd rather pickup one more m1015 and use the SAS expander in a different build. If it's already flashed to IT...
  8. rubylaser

[SOLVED]Slow speeds between two Connectx-2 machines

Hello, I have (2) machines connected to each other with Mellanox Connectx-2 Ethernet cards. They are connected via 10m passive twinax cable (I need this length to reach from my office on the ground floor to my server in the basement). The basement server is running Ubuntu 14.04.4 Server on an...
  9. rubylaser

FS - Inexpensive JBOD Setup

I have a Rackable SE3016 and an LSI 9205-8e that I'm trying to sell. I've upgraded to 6TB disks and no longer need all of the extra bays to house hard drives. This setup has worked well for me in Ubuntu 14.04.3 Server, but should work fine with other OS's as well. I would like to sell this in...
  10. rubylaser

Norco 4224

I just noticed that the 24 bay Norco 4224 is currently going for $299 with Prime on Amazon and Newegg. I've never seen it priced this low new (currently less than the 4220). Just posting for anyone looking for a big, hot-swap chassis...
  11. rubylaser

Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe Performance

I just picked up a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB for my workstation at the office. It's an MSI X99 SLI Plus with an i7-5820K overclocked to 4.5Ghz, 32GB, and two GTX 770's. I didn't see anyone on the forum with a benchmark for this drive yet, so I thought I'd provide at least a CrystalDiskMark...
  12. rubylaser

Bulk storage for home - help me make a decision

Hello, sorry for the following wall of text... tl;dr: Do I retain my current setup and add an inexpensive JBOD chassis (SE3016) or move up to a real 4U case like the Supermicro 846? I have previously posted my budget bulk home media storage server here. Since that post, I have switched from...
  13. rubylaser

ESXi 5.5 - Can't connect to vSphere Data Protection Appliance

Hello, I have downloaded and setup VDP 5.8 on my 5.5u2 ESXi box at home. I deployed the OVA and went through the OVA configuration. Once the VM is booted, I can connect to the console and it gives me the URL to connect to... https://192.168.172.50:8543/vdp-configure, but I've tried numerous...
  14. rubylaser

OmniOS ESXi NFS export not mounting anymore

So, I had this share setup and some of my vms running off the NFS share from my OmniOS server. After a reboot ESXi fails to mount the NFS share (it still works on the OmniOS server). I removed the datastore and tried to re-add it, but now I get this error.
  15. rubylaser

Update VMware Tools on OmniOS

I'm trying to upgrade the VMware tools on my ESXi server using Gea's ESXi image. I've mounted the tools, but if I try to run something like this find / -name "vmware*" the only thing I find is the original files in /root/vmware-tools-distrib. If I try to run ./vmware-install.pl in that...
  16. rubylaser

Home ESXi All-in-One

Build’s Name: Totoro Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi CPU: Core i5-4590 Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Chassis: Coolermaster HAF 912 + 5-in-3 bay. Drives: 4x Hitachi 4TB drives, 4x Seagate 4TB drives, 2x HGST 4TB drives, and 1x Toshiba 4TB, 4x Intel 730 240GB, 2x Kingston Digital 60GB...
  17. rubylaser

Hyper-V Export to ESXi... I feel stupid even asking.

tl;dr: I can't seem to convert my Hyper-V vhd's into vmdk's that will boot on my ESXi box. Here's the story. I have a Windows 2012 R2 Standard server at home with the Hyper-V role enabled. I have 6 VMs that have been running happily on it for about 6 months (along with 2 separate physical...
  18. rubylaser

FS Chenbro SAS Expander, Supermicro SAT2-MV8, and Digium TDM400P

I have a few cards laying around the house that it probably makes sense to part ways with if anyone is interested. All are in good working order and I'll ship for free to the lower 48 states or $10 elsewhere. [SOLD] CHENBRO CK12803 28-Port SAS Expander Controller Card (SASX28 A.1) $75 OBO...
  19. rubylaser

OmniOS

I'm a big fan of the lightweight OmniOS, but I find myself missing a few things. I tried installing nano via GEA's directions to add the new publisher and instal OmniOSnano, but that created a dependency problem, so I ended up just compiling nano from source (not a big deal). The next thing...
  20. rubylaser

Potential Infrastructure Change for Windows Shop

Hello, first post. I'm looking for hardware advice and configuration advice as well for my employer. We are currently re-evaluating our entire setup after our IT Manager recently took a new job. There is no hard budget, but I would like to see what can be accomplished for ~$10,000 - $15,000...