Search results

1. foolishlywise

LSI SAS 9300-8i - LTO-5 tape drive not being shown

Controller is in IT mode (confirmed on UFEI bios). On the cable: hmmm. Cable I’m using is here: HighPoint 19 Inch 8643 to 8639 Connector Should work according to Highpoint. Plus it’s SFF (not U.2, but they share the same connector so got used to calling it that!)
  2. foolishlywise

Righty. So I’ve tried a couple of cables with no luck, switching between the ports on the controller. Drive is confirmed working OK with an old Fujitsu D2616. So I reckon it’s the controller. Strange, I’ll test the controller with a U.2 SSD and see what comes of that. If that works, it may...
  3. foolishlywise

Hey guys, Bit of an interesting situation - picked up a LSI SAS 9300-8i (SAS 3008) from eBay for a reasonable price. Seller was brilliant and posted it quick. Unfortunately, the thing doesn't seem to work with the drive. Trying everything as I don't really want to return it. Using a SFF-8643...
  4. foolishlywise

H310 - Slow Performance with multiple disks

I thought it could be this, but it'd been flashed with IT firmware back when I got the two H310's about eight odd months ago. Should've remembered as the insulating tape I had to use on the pins got stuck in the PCI slot. I'm no surgeon but got it out in the end! The card was basically just...
  5. foolishlywise

H310 - Slow Performance with multiple disks

Hi guys, It's the start of reading week so I'm doing some server stuff (moving it into my bedroom, some network stuff too). Usually, I've been way too busy to observe stuff but now I'm starting to put a fair bit of load on the server (running CCTV with redundancy recording). So, I have a PERC...
  6. foolishlywise

FreeNAS on Hyper-V - advantages

I'm interested in running FreeNAS on Hyper-V (server 2016) to manage the home storage needs. I'm having a couple of problems with Server - the biggest one is where the OS will cache written data to RAM, write to disk and then when the disk cannot keep up, ends up at 0b/s. Then, I get a prompt...
  7. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

Update time: with L5630's, the other H310 pulled, the random 4GB DIMM pulled and the Intel 4 port also pulled, system is now pulling 140-150w from the wall. This, fed into the electric calculations done is acceptable as the house is going to be pulling circa 200w at night/idle periods total. All...
  8. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

This. The NIC wattage specified by Intel is 12w, so that's coming out. I've worked a plan as to how I can get it all working with the existing kit I have (4 ports GigE on the mobo and a dual port PCIe NIC for pfSense). Pull pending tomorrow. Including the random 4GB I found lying around and...
  9. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

Unfortunately not. Previously looked down this avenue to no avail. Any suggestions on newer mobo/cpu's? If I can source it at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind exploring this! Cheers for your help btw, much appreciated!
  10. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

Pulling the processor has crossed my mind - however the workload would need to be assessed properly. BIOS is a bit silly - I've had a look at it and set it to the most efficient settings seemingly. PERC H310 HBA going to be pulled ASAP (one storage, one tape drive). Fans are standard things...
  11. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

@Rand__ hello again! Should've included, I apologise! Use case: Storage server (10TB-ish) with Hyper-V installed; Exchange 2016 on VM1 (5 proc), pfSense on VM2 (5 proc), a Windows 10 Pro instance for use with my MacBook Pro via RD (4 proc). Budget: I'm a student right now - I guess budget would...
  12. foolishlywise

Power Consumption Help

I come to the masters of home/ent servers with a question. A question that has had the seniors in my family bring out calculators, pens and many sighs... power efficiency. Long story short, I have a server that seems to be taking 212w (figure given by Corsair LINK - H1000i installed). It needs...
  13. foolishlywise

H310 DOS flashing issues

UEFI was the first thing I checked - plain simple BIOS on the Tyan S7012. However, I do have a UEFI machine (Asus Z97 WS), putting the card in results in the machine not booting so going to have to break out the insulating tape. EDIT: Much confusion and some thin insulating tape later: Blue...
  14. foolishlywise

H310 DOS flashing issues

In my quest to build my own server because I sort of outgrew my old one, some PERC H310's came. When I say came, one did - the seller sent me one H310 and another idk what card. Still, all being sorted and hopefully I'll have the second H310 by Saturday morning. With the one I got, I've tried...
  15. foolishlywise

Fujitsu D2616 issues (and LSI SAS9201-8i question)

I think it could be a symptom of using WD Green drives in a storage pool (eco-friendly, spin down a lot) so when a file is written to a disk, the software thinks there is an issue (whilst the drive is spinning up) hence is like nope cant copy. That could explain why the issue happens on BOTH...
  16. foolishlywise

Awesome, thank you! I've got two H310's on the way and intend to keep the 9201-8i solely for the tape drive in the system. Would anyone know if the timings on the H310 (IT mode on LSI's fw) can be adjusted through the config utility?
  17. foolishlywise

I am attempting to kill two birds with one stone on this thread - I ended up with a D2616 (based on the SAS 2108) which has 512mb cache after a server screwup. Stupidly I thought the cache would be a good idea so I put all 7 drives onto it and shoved it into the server. Used the (painful)...
  18. foolishlywise

SAS Controller for HP StorageWorks tape drive

I've been lurking on these forums for ages but never created an account. Now I'm seriously stuck, I hope you guys can help. I have a HP StorageWorks 1760 LTO 4 tape drive (internal, half height). Previously, this was connected to a P212 controller - since then, the controller decided to throw...