Search results

1. svtkobra7

15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

I'd def pay all of 2x that amount for a sweet Christmas gift. This square may tell you how to do so, but personally, it only reminded me how much I loved Silicon Valley (as in the TV show).
  2. svtkobra7

NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7 & X9DRi-F

Another question: Can we crowd fund an X9 BIOS Engineer for SMCI and put this topic to bed already? :cool::)
  3. svtkobra7

SMCI X9 Bifurcation I Why some boards but not all ?

It is really easy to do, but there is a non-zero chance of something running afoul. Per this thread - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/nvme-boot-with-supermicro-x9da7-x9dri-f.13245/ - the relevant deets are here: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI...
  4. svtkobra7

Geoblocking Set at Your ISP

Apologies ... my post seemed funny in my head (circular reasoning and all). Which overlay network would you bet on? ;)
  5. svtkobra7

Geoblocking Set at Your ISP

how to use to block: "Utah facility is sized to store all encrypted (and thereby suspicious) data for safekeeping."
  6. svtkobra7

ASRock X470D4U - No XMP settings, maxes out at 3000Hz memory clock?

I own a similar board - X570D4I-2T - and got a great deal on 4x 32GB non-ECC SODIMMs (vs. paying twice as much for slower ECC): As to the relevance of my post, (1) my memory - rated for 3200 MHz - defaults to 2400 MHz without pulling any levers in the BIOS; (2) I got 200 MHz above that rating...
  7. svtkobra7

please, help convert HGST He10 and He12 to 4kn

Hi ... sorry, I've left a few queries un-replied to: Looking at the eight (8) locked WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0s is a nasty reminder of the 4k format fail and I'd love to either toss them, or if possible, make a final push to unlock (and succeed). While somewhat unorthodox, the HDDs are worth $0 at the...
  8. svtkobra7

Cooler / Case for X570-D4U-2L2T + 5950X

I see some similarities between my most recent build and a similar "where the heck do I stash my rack-mount server conundrum," so I'm happy to share a few thoughts, but they are probably of limited assistance. I recently built a AMD 5950x + 4x 32GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs + Quadro RTX 5000 on an ASRock...
  9. svtkobra7

WTB ICX7250-24 + 4 x 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceivers

WTB - figured it was worth a shot ... Brocade ICX7250-24 w/ears or 24P [1] 4 x 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceivers or maybe 6x [1] Don't need PoE, so don't care to pay a premium for it. Obv I understand the -p version is "worth" more. Thx
  10. svtkobra7

Thanks for reviewing ... yes I did and that is when the HDDs locked (I suppose).
  11. svtkobra7

I attempted to use hugo to 4k format a number of shucked 10TB easystores (WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0), but ended up with ATA security locked drives instead. My VM became unresponsive during the process, I had to reset, and a reboot showed the drives to be locked. Can anybody offer insight as to how to...
  12. svtkobra7

Virtualized pfSense OpenVPN performance tweaking

I've never been able to pull off SRIOV with FreeBSD :( I run a similar setup and can offer you a bit of a hack to up your speeds, but as per this comment ... ... it shouldn't be necessary for too long. Bare-metal baseline = 942 / 937 Mbps virt pfsense config: E5-2690 v2 x 8 vCPUs 8 GB RAM...
  13. svtkobra7

Never would o/c. I completely share your struggle and taking a contrarian position tricks me into feeling better?!? ;) I wonder if they had plans to roll out X9-wide, but decided not to, and got caught with their pants down? Valid points. But if it isn't supported, I don't suppose we can...
  14. svtkobra7

I could not agree more, but as the devil's advocate: NVMe rev 1.0 spec: Mar '11 (first NVMe drive released in '13) X9 release: ~Q1 2012 (E5-2600 v1) In sum, the first NVMe drive dropped after the X9 was released. For the entire X9 lineup to bifurcate NVMe, would require both compatibility...
  15. svtkobra7

Dumb Server memory population question

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A ? 2 CPUs + 8 DIMMs on my SMCI X9DRH would be: P1-DIMMA1 P1-DIMMB1 P1-DIMMC1 P1-DIMMD1 P2-DIMME1 P2-DIMMF1 P2-DIMMG1 P2-DIMMH1; where PX-DIMMY1 & PX-DIMMY2, or Y0 & Y1, relating back to your board; so A0 B0 C0 D0 E0 F0 G0 H0
  16. svtkobra7

Build a Bear.... err Server Room (both need alot of insulation/stuffing?)

I for one can really appreciate your design desicisons and consideration you have put into all of them. It is da bomb, but completely follow your project and its inapplicability. I haven't run across too many peeps who have used it, so my (pointless) comment was just really a +1 on @badskater...
  17. svtkobra7

diskinfo -wS truncates [prohibiting slog testing funtime]

Can a kind soul advise why when running diskinfo -wS /dev/nvdx ... It truncates output @ 256 kbytes: diskinfo: AIO write submit error: Operation not supported And doesn't continue to 8192 kbytes as per usual? I have a smorgasboard of different M.2 drives I wanted to bench (this being one quick...
  18. svtkobra7

Build a Bear.... err Server Room (both need alot of insulation/stuffing?)

+1 see above post where its in use. It would be nearly silent if I moved from hollow to solid core door, except ... there is no complete eradication of noise as I'm using 3/8" under the door as intake.
  19. svtkobra7

Performance / optimal setup for TrueNAS - long

Exec sum: Proper pool layout Proper use of SLOG, Ditch the L2ARC Reseach Some research is in order ... FreeNAS: A Worst Practices Guide - iXsystems, Inc. - Enterprise Storage & Servers Use case generally? * 2 x vdev pools of 8 drives with z1 * L2ARC is using the Crucial NVME * 2 x 1TB SSD...
  20. svtkobra7

Holy USB Ports Batman...

or creating an "all-flash array" from all those spare EasyStore 32GB USB flash drives ... yeah buddy!! RAID 0 = max theoretical of ~400 MB/s writes (or something like that) SMOKIN ... ;) [cool find]