Search results

1. T

when to buy 'a proper server' (and not just put server OS on a desktop)

Currently my uses are pretty simple... I don't need to run 128 Epyc cores on a decade old platform sucking 1000 watts at low load for any of my use. :) I'm currently planning a used skylake era (i call that anything 6th to 10th gen) desktop for my fairly minimal home needs of plex...
  2. T

shucking revisited 2024 - SMR vs CMR

Because I haven't gotten drives in a bit i was rechecking shucks.top for good values - everything I got before was 12-18tb which as far as I know was all conventional/non shingled. With some prices per TB on 20's and 22's starting to seem comparable (esp if no special sales) I was wondering if...
  3. T

requesting some help understanding m2, U2 and SSD options...

I got that, I just also know Adobe and some other apps aren't the most efficiently programmed, and with some of those apps i'll have no choice about switching to something else due to requirements of compatibility. I'm sorry but i'm still a little vague on the multi NVMe... so those PCIe cards...
  4. T

Is the PLP performance difference normally tested when benchmarking SSD's? Like how much cache it has so its one transfer rate up to so many gigs, and then another transfer rate beyond that... i'm going to make a guess that if I have files that I expect to fit in a cache, say a video file...
  5. T

That's a pretty good quick braindump on specs. :) So what is the best for each use case? Like when should I prefer 'sata connected ssd space' over just using a few large m2 drives? Ever? When would I seriously want to look at U2 over m2 drives? I know they have certain advantages, you said...
  6. T

buying suggestions for DDR3 era workstations...

Well if youre REALLY fast it could probably be hotswappable... :) Surely you've turned off the power and seen the lights stay on for a few seconds? Those capacitors might JUUUST be enough...
  7. T

Sooo let me start with the fact that i've been impoverished and am really behind the times. Neither of my main PC's even have an SSD, even for Adobe CC, because upgrades kept getting postponed due to unplanned medical and other bills and "it was still working" for my limited use so I didn't...
  8. T

So i'm doubting most other people browsing here are as badly impoverished as me BUT I wanted to share some interesting things i've learned JUST IN CASE anyone in the future might find it useful. :) To answer some questions I originally had about this topic, ie HP or Dell, I learned that Dells...
  9. T

Obviously that never happened. Life threatening medical and other issues changed plans and...

Obviously that never happened. Life threatening medical and other issues changed plans and kicked the can down the road oh into later 2024 at earliest.
  10. T

That actually makes me wonder... I dont suppose there's any uber-deals in the server space, where I could just use a used server as an effective workstation for less than a used workstation would cost? For that matter i'm already planning to use one or two workstations as servers already in...
  11. T

Well if someone in the minneapolis area has DDR3 workstations and ram theyre willing to throw out or is a dont wanter dumping for below market rates vs ebay i'd still happily take them off their hands and experiment with them. :^)
  12. T

does any older win server support pci passthru for VDI?

Well at least that answers that. :) I'll have to postpone experiments with hyper-v until I can afford a 3090+ and a comparable computer then, and I wasnt aware of the sr-iov thing but now i'm reading about it - thanks for informing me. Hopefully I will revisit this topic in 12-18 months...
  13. T

I've already made decisions, this is more figuring out longer term plans for what makes either a good upgrade plan, or things to watch for. Like with shipping being about $30/computer at cheapest, if I find some more local cache of HP or Dell workstations of certain models, which are worth...
  14. T

Minimum Build NAS and Server

Yeah, is low cost $35 or $250. :) Start there and list if any other features like ECC are essential, or saturating 2.5gig ethernet to reduce backup time which maybe the r pi 5 cant do.
  15. T

That's super interesting and useful... both comments... so Socket 3647 will be my way forward at some point when I move on from like Z440 machines, at least up until Cascade Lake on that socket - looks like that goes all the way up to the top of the line xeon platinums for compatibility? It's...
  16. T

It's not yet chosen i'm just using recycler grade stuff, I have an ivy bridge board with VT-d support but not the cpu yet. Probably start with that. What I wasn't sure is which versions of windows server will allow me to do VDI type application. Or if the new paravirtualization that seems...
  17. T

Minimum Build NAS and Server

I would almost think a raspberry pi could do the job - your only limit being transfer rate as someone else said, i'm not sure if the new ones will even saturate 1gig ethernet. Else the most absolute entry level of anything of the last few generations of any board will have more than enough...
  18. T

So i'm trying to research (on a hobby level for now) doing something like the VDI virtual gameservers for more than one user, streamed, similar to whats been done by Craft Computing and linus tech tips (cant remember if they did the same thing). I was going to first experiment with proxmox but...
  19. T

Oh, so by ddr4 lrdimms 'also being cheap' like ddr3 you didn't mean they were only for equally earlier motherboards, just that lrdimms in general are cheap, and the ddr3 ones are stuck in the past. :) I was confused seeing apparent lrdimm support on newer mobos but wondering if something else...
  20. T

Is ebay going to be the best prices on bulk LRDIMMS for both DDR3 and DDR4? This sounds like a must have feature for me since i'm looking to go to alot of ram for multiple workstations to get several people set up. [EDIT: Though if it's only mobos thru 2013 even for DDR4 then that RAM wont be...