Search results

1. Socrates

[Solved] NIC for SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard

My ISP upgraded my internet to 2gig speed, my MB is SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ has a 1000Mb card. What SuperMicro NIC should i get that will work with this MB? I see 10gb NIC from 29 dollars all the way to 300 dollars on ebay, not sure what to get.
  2. Socrates

Need your opinion on the Western Digital HSMR drives for Raid Storage.

Are these Western Digital HSRM drives Enterprise Grade? How is the performance and reliability on this one? Will they be good for RAID storage using TrueNAS?
  3. Socrates

Need help with Cable Management in my rack in Houston area.

I have recently moved from Chicago to Houston, and have setup a server room, and setup my rack in it. There are cables dropping from the ceiling and ethernet cables everywhere hanging over my rack. Need help with someone who is good with cable management in the Houston/suburbs of houston area...
  4. Socrates

What is a proper way to support/suspend cat cables in my drop ceiling?

I have about 3 dozen cat6 cables dropping from the ceiling into the server room. This is a home setup, the cables drop right over the Server rack. And right now i have just tied the cables in the attic with a wood frame. I need to reduce the tension of the wires dropping into the server room. As...
  5. Socrates

Looking for a HDMI KVM switch for dual monitors, attached to 2 to 3 PC. Has to have real EDID

So i see several KVM switches sold on amazon and newegg, but they all have emulated EDID, i am looking for a DUal monitor KVM Switch preferably hdmi with Real EDID switching, so basically a corporate grade device.
  6. Socrates

WTB: SuperMicro 24 bay chassis.

I am just looking to replace my supermicro chassis, as i feel my case is really old, the older fans and all. I need a little bit newer model that was released in the past 6 or 7 years or under
  7. Socrates

Supermicro 4U fan fail, the server is on a loop rebooting at BIOS.

After a reboot one of my server wont come back online, and is constantly looping at the boot with Initializing 42 at display for a fraction of a second on the boot screen. After reading online i found there could be several issues like the CMOS battery, dead ram, bad fan etc. It turns out that...
  8. Socrates

WTB : Middle Atlantic 44U Rack server with side panels.

I am looking for a 44U middle atlantic rack with side panels. The server should be above 24". Mainly should be able take supermicro servers.
  9. Socrates

Make use of rear USB Port instead of onboard motherboard port for ESXi?

My ESXi install is busted after 3 years of run. I guess the USB flash drive crapped out after its lifecycle has ended. I am using a X10 line of Supermicro mother to be exact this one X10DRi I have the USB plugged into the motherboard, and right now to replace it i will have to pull apart the...
  10. Socrates

WTB : Fortinet Fortigate 100e

Looking for a used in good condition Fortinet Fortigate 100e firewall appliance
  11. Socrates

Ideal fan configuration for 4U supermicro chassis?

I am trying to replace the fans on the 4u supermicro chassis due to the current fan's dying, and hence the fans are oscillating up and down going slow to fast, and then back to slow speed. And I have populated only half of the drive bays, with the enterprise grade HGST 7200 rpm drives. I've...
  12. Socrates

Changing fan speeds through IPMI does not work? Is it a fan issue?

So I have about 12 drives in my SuperMicro SC846TQ 4U chassis. The drives get inexessively hot at 115 degrees. I am able to connect to the IPMI through the web browser with the correct IP address, and each time I try to change the fan speed to higher lower or moderate it makes no affect on the...
  13. Socrates

WTB : Memory DDR3 ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600MHz

Consider this thread closed. I brought the Memory modules already. I am in the market for 16GB or 32GB DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3L 1600MHz memory Should be either 8x4 memory module or 16x2 or 32GB is fine as well, I have 4 memory slots in my SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O Motherboard, hence. I...
  14. Socrates

Looking for advice on low power consumption hardware for a second ESXi Node.

I'd like to add a second node for HA for my ESXI host. This is mainly for network availability while the primary node is down. So I'd like to keep the power consumption extremely low for this server. I was initially researching on a fully ready to go R710 that can be had for under 200 bucks used...
  15. Socrates

Need to upgrade my pfSense firewall Hardware to support 1gbps internet bandwith

I am in the market for a cpu/motherboard combo that supports 1gbps internet bandwith with IPS turned on with Suricata and pfsense. Currently I am on Sophos, and Snort is single threaded, when IPS is enabled, it throttles my bandwith from 900mb/sec to 200mb/sec I am told inorder for snort to work...
  16. Socrates

NVME prices going down, will it affect memory prices?

NVME prices going down, will it affect memory prices? New NVMe drive less than 150 bucks now for 1TB, 2tb can be had for 250 or so.. will this trend affect the memory prices as well?
  17. Socrates

Can I mix SAS and SATA drives?

Hi all, So i have a SAS2 backplane in my supermicro 4U server, and this is powered by esxi. I am using unraid os for media server. I have a few 8TB hgst enterprise grade SATA disks, I got some good deal for HGST 8tb enterpise SAS drives. Can i mix two of these drives in the same array?
  18. Socrates

CPU : E5-2680 V2, what motherboard is compatible.

Hi all, I have brought 2x E5-2680 V2 and SuperMicro X9DRI-LN4F+ motherboard. After assembling it, the server does not post. I have a feeling that the motherboard is not compatible with this CPU. Have been reading it online about people having issues with this setup, similar to mine. So please...
  19. Socrates

What PSU size will fit this 2U chassis?

Hi am looking forward to buy this chassis. NORCO RPC-2106 https://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Hot-Swappable-Server-Chassis-RPC-2106/dp/B008EKYEAA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524715066&sr=8-1&keywords=RPC-2106 This is a 2U chassis, and i have no clue which silent psu can go with it, amazon recommends a...
  20. Socrates

PCI Device Greyed out in VMWare, tryign to add LSI card

Everything was working fine for me until last night a power outage killed my USB, and i had to reinstall esxi on a new USB, and re-import all the vm's back. Everything is working fine now, except that my storage server is not starting cos the LSI card is not found. I have enabled the LSI card...