Search results

1. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

Ok, it turns out the problem was that I was using a really old SATA drive for testing purposes. Once I switched to a newer drive, everything works fine. Thanks for the help.
  2. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

The X11SPH-nCTF board does have two SFF-8087 connectors (see bottom left-edge of pic, just to the left of the 2 yellow standard SATA connectors) which work fine for me: https://www.supermicro.com/CDS_Image/uploads/imagecache/600px_wide/intel_motherboard_active/x11sph-nctf_front.jpg and they are...
  3. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

Ok, so I have my X11SPH-nCTF and have tested nearly everything out, but I'm uncertain how to configure the LSI 3008 controller's SFF-8643 "SAS0-7" ports to work with plain old SATA drives. (The SFF-8087 "SATA0-7" ports work fine.) Should I configure each SATA drive as its own individual RAID0...
  4. J

Dynatron LGA3647 Cooler Options

@Patrick and @K D - Awesome, thanks for your tips! Hopefully I'll be happy with the B11, but wanted to know just in case.
  5. J

Patrick (or others): By the way, if I ever decide to swap the B11 heat sink for something else, do you have any tips on how to separate it from the LGA3647 CPU (based on your experience with swapping CPUs for all the Xeon-SP reviews)? When I initially tried separating them yesterday (before K D...
  6. J

Awesome, thanks, @ K D! The link that helped me the most was this resource page: How To: Change IPMI Sensor Thresholds using ipmitool For my Noctua NF-A8 attached to the B11, I ended up doing this: # ipmitool sensor thresh "FAN1" lower 200 300 400 Now everything is running great and the temps...
  7. J

Supermicro BIOS updates for spectre/meltdown (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754)

Has anyone tried the new BIOS (v 2.0b) on X11SP* (ie. the newer scalable processor) boards yet? If so, any issues (reliability, noticeable performance drops, etc.)?
  8. J

OK, so I went with the B11 (on X11SPH-nCTF MB + 4114 CPU, basically identical build to what Patrick reviewed), but the fan is revving up to max and then back down repeatedly every 15-30 seconds, even during BOOT and/or when IDLE (in FreeNAS). Dumb question: was there any plastic protection that...
  9. J

I have a Silver 85W CPU, but when you say it depends, what do you mean? For what CPU TDPs would you think the 4U might be a better fit? My goal is the quietest build when the CPU is running full speed, regardless of size of the heatsink (since cost difference is minimal between the 3U and 4U).
  10. J

I had one more general question: any guess which of these two will cool more efficiently/quietly? 1) SuperMicro 4U SNK-P0070APS4? 4U has 15% larger 92mm fan which is nice, but no copper heat pipes. It also seems to have less overall fins which means less surface area making contact with the...
  11. J

Yes, I've ordered the long T30 bit you suggested. But I'm more wondering if the B11 fan bumps into that skinny (non-cpu) heat sink thingy just beyond the CPU socket (towards the back side of the motherboard)? I wasn't quite sure if you had actually installed a B11 on an X11SPH, but sounds like...
  12. J

Patrick, I'm wondering if the B11 may NOT fit in the X11SPH-nCTF (or any X11SPH_*, X11SPL-* or X11SPi-*). Looking carefully at the B11, the fan attaches beyond the boundary of the CPU socket (in contrast to the Dynatron B5 and the SuperMicro 2U SNK-P0068APS4 which stay within the boundary of...
  13. J

Amount of torque for heatsink on LGA 3647 socket?

OK, thanks. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about it. Anyway, I appreciate the advice.
  14. J

Thanks. Two questions: 1) how did you determine the setting? trial and error? if I also do trial and error (since I don't have the exact same power screw driver you have), am I at risk of damaging the components, or squishing the heatsink paste too much? 2) do you think I could screw it...
  15. J

I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to ensure that I use the proper amount of torque for screwing down a heatsink onto the LGA 3647 socket (ie. Xeon Scalable processors)? Do people suggest using a torque wrench, or can I just hand tighten it (and if the latter, how do I know how much to do)?
  16. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

@bitrot - What OS are you running on it?
  17. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

Yes, Patrick already reviewed it here back in August. Summary: 2 x 10Gb LAN, 18 SATA/SAS (on DMI3+PCIe x8 to the PCH instead of just DMI3 on previous gen, so a lot more bandwidth for LAN/drives/USB/etc.), 6 channels DDR4 @ 2666 (8 DIMM slots), up to 256GB RDIMM (or more for other DIMM types), 4...
  18. J

@Patrick, @K D - By the way, do you use the stock thermal paste/grease that (I assume) comes with the Dynatron B5/B11? If not, what do you use?
  19. J

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

Has anyone run FreeNAS on the X11SPH-nCTF yet? Does everything work ok (including NICs)?
  20. J

@K D - That's really good to know that the 2U B5 (with swapped Noctua fan) is both quiet and effective with 4110 and 4114. That gives me confidence that the B5 or the B11 should work just fine for me. Thanks for confirming!