Search results

1. W

Thoughts On My ZFS Setup

Good point, I checked and they're all 4k and I set the logical sectors to be 4k as well: root@pve:/data# fdisk -l /dev/nvme0n1 Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 1.75 TiB, 1920383410176 bytes, 468843606 sectors Disk model: Seagate IronWolf510 ZP1920NM30001-2S9303 Units: sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes Sector...
  2. W

How To Undervolt Xeon SP With Supermicro MB?

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Unfortunately that doesn't support Xeon SPs. I'm also running Proxmox on the host so I was hoping for something Linux based if there was no way to do so in the BIOS.
  3. W

Thoughts On My ZFS Setup

I'm going to be creating 4 types of ZFS data stores and I'm wondering if someone more experienced could let me know if these commands look good. I've also included the Proxmox storage commands to add it properly to the Proxmox system. Any tips or issues with the below commands would be...
  4. W

How To Undervolt Xeon SP With Supermicro MB?

I have a Cascade Lake 62xx CPU and a Supermicro X11SPM-TF and I was wondering if there's anyway to undervolt the CPU? I got it mainly for the cores so was thinking I could save some power that way.
  5. W

External Raid 1 Enclosure Suggestions For Cold Storage

I'll be backing up photos that are irreplaceable and thought I'd see what some of you have decided upon. I'm setting up my cold storage and I was thinking I might as well see if there are any external Raid 1 enclosures. I suppose someone will say tape, or m-disc, but this is intended for non...
  6. W

Intel SATA SSD - How To Change Sector Size & Secure Erase?

I contacted Intel and my case got escalated and there is no support for converting from 512 logical to 4k unfortunately. They said that applies to all SATA SSD models.
  7. W

M.2 NVMe vs SATA

I recently bought the Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVME but found it wasn't as performant in ZFS as I wanted. So I researched and got the Intel P4510 U.2 then purchased a U.2 > PCIE card. In regards to your question, I found out that the U.2 and 2.5" drives can usually handle higher speeds and...
  8. W

The Supermicro H11SSL-I Rev. 2 issues thread

I bought a Supermicro motherboard for my server build and it's awesome. I'd recommend updating to the latest BIOS each time they're released - even if they always suggest you shouldn't unless somethings broken. My experience with the X11SPM-TF has been that the BIOS updates have made life much...
  9. W

What Western Digital Tool Converts SATA From 512e To 4k?

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a WD tool that was able to convert SATA hard drives from 512e logical sector size to 4k? I have two WDC Gold WD101KRYZ-01JPDB1 that I wanted to convert. I also found the following command that might work, but would prefer to use a manufacturers tool if...
  10. W

please, help convert HGST He10 and He12 to 4kn

Thanks, but I meant do you have a link to download the tool directly from Western Digital or HGST?
  11. W

Do you have a link to the location? I can't find "Hugo" by searching on their site or through a search engine. I'd prefer to dl directly from the manufacturer.
  12. W

@astrocrab where were you able to download the HUGO utility from? Any idea if it would it also support HGST drives or is there a different tool for that?
  13. W

Intel SATA SSD - How To Change Sector Size & Secure Erase?

I've got an S3520 and I'm trying to use the Intel SSD Data Center Tool but am unable to see how to: 1) Change the sector size from 512 to 4k 2) Perform a secure erase. The physical sector size is already 4k and it will be used for ZFS so I wanted to have the actual sector size the same as...
  14. W

Intel 905P 480GB VS DC P4510 2TB Speed Difference

I'm wondering if 2 x 1TB 4510 striped would be better than a single 2TB 4510. Looking at the Intel specs: 1TB 4510 2TB 4510 Sq Rd 2850 MB/s 3200 MB/s Sq Wr 1100 MB/s 2000 MB/s Rn Rd 465k IOPS 637K IOPS Rn Wr 70k IOPS 81K IOPS Pw Act 10 W 12 W It seems that I could increase my random writes...
  15. W

Ya I've just been reading about that. I see another option is to add bigger disks to the pool to increase it's size. I think option 3 should also allow me to have VMs using multiple channels to access different disks instead of a single one which should technically speed it up.
  16. W

My working set will be more that 250G definitely. It's a small server and this is for learning, so redundancy is not important. I will be making regular backups to other media. Thanks, that's quite interesting. I wish I was rich enough to keep my pool 75% free. It's unfortunate that ZFS...
  17. W

Use Case: Proxmox 6.1, 30 VMs, 30 containers, on an Intel Silver 4510 with 128GB of RAM. Backup etc would be on different ZFS array. VM filesystems would be mainly NTFS and XFS. No database VMs. I will have Redis and Kafka though. I currently have a 2TB 970 Evo Plus, but I want to learn ZFS and...
  18. W

XFS Or ZFS On Consumer SSDs For VMs & Containers

I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the following storage devices for ~30 VMs / ~30 containers. I currently have: Supermicro X11SPM-TF Intel Silver 4210 128 GB of Ram (24GB max to ZFS) 32GB Supemicro SATADOM 240GB Intel S3520 SATA II 512GB Samsung 960 Pro NVME 2TB Samsung 970 Evo...
  19. W

GPU Passthrough in Proxmox

I just set this up for myself with Proxmox 6.1 and an Nvidia 1660. The fact you get the error with both Proxmox and VMware means it's likely the driver issue as ttabbal mentioned. The part that you have to be careful of when creating the VM is to use a different hardware ID. Here's my vm...
  20. W

Supermicro X11spa (some general questions)

I've been using a Supermicro for the last few years for both my server and router. Have had great experiences with both. Highly recommend using a model with IPMI. It's been very helpful in a number of ways. Supermicro support can help with basic questions as well and is helpful. Overall, I would...