Search results

1. R

Dual M2 on X11SCH-L4NF and RAID NVMe booting

Hi, I've been trying to get a RAID array created on the dual M2 NVMe drives installed on my X11SCH-L4NF mb, but it appears this is not possible on these boards (a bit late now I've got it sat in my lab!). Has anyone had similar experience with SM RAID, and my second question would be why do...
  2. R

New Workgroup deployment 60+ Devices - DT or VDI?

Hi, I'm looking to deploy a remote work group for a team of about 60 persons. We are considering traditional Desktops with central file-server, but I'm thinking perhaps VDI would be a better choice. Whats the verdict, how do you decide to go VDI or not. I'm not looking for cloud functionality...
  3. R

US‑16‑XG or DXS-1210-12SC

Hi Guys, What is the verdict on these two? What I'm I going to miss if I take the Unifi 16-XG, anything? Is Ubiquiti manageable from web or does it require the Ubiquiti controller application? Seems like 16-XG is considerably cheaper so want to know any gotchas. Thanks
  4. R

Commercial cloud platforms

Looking at operating a cloud hosting provider and researching platform options. Looking at Atomia but wanted to get peoples opinions or suggestions. What makes a viable cloud host provider, do we need a large pool of static ips or can we managed on a limited number? This will be a small...
  5. R

Mellanox ConnectX2 and W2k12R2 Teaming

Hi all, so I've picked up a couple of dual port X2 bargains and using them for converged networking on a Dell cluster but having issues with the teamed NIC faulting on reboot. The cards were originally HP OEM but I flashed to stock FW using the excellent instructions from "Flash OEM (IBM)...
  6. R

MPIO expected results? SAS different to iSCSi

Hi, Using a dual backplane JBOD (SuperMicro) and server 2012R2, what is the expected result of enabling MPIO on SAS disks? I have a host with iSCSi and SAS initiators, both with dual paths (two networks for iscsi & dual port HBAs to SAS drives in JBOD), however, MPIO appears different between...
  7. R

Can MPIO be achieved on JBOD with 9305-8e?

I'm struggling with a setup between HyperV host and JBOD chassis (Supermicro 837-E26), using a dual-port 9305-8e HBA Windows MPIO doesn't recognize a second path. I've been trying to get a response out of LSI/Avago/Broadcom whatever they call themselves now, but after a month still no joy. Lack...
  8. R

DUAL linking HBA9300-8e to JBOD SC837

Hi, On Server 2012R2, from a single HBA I've connected two mini SAS HD SFF8064 - SFF8088 cables to the JBOD Primary In and Secondary In ports, however, SAS drives (shown as multi path disk in device manager) are only shown with a single MPIO path Active/Optimized. I was expecting two paths to...
  9. R

DAS Shared Storage - Practices/Requirements

So I have two Dell R430's and a bunch of SAS disks (chassis to be procured) that I want to link to the two cluster nodes. I've already tried iSCSI but have SPOF issues with the SAN box (both Windows Storage Server and Synology) so looking at DAS to eliminate dependence on third party. Lots of...
  10. R

Synology DS1513+ Perfomance hits - iSCSi

Just configured a new DS to replace a Windows Storage server that is hosting CSV, configured the same MPIO settings as the old Windows NAS (Redundant nics and switches dedicated for iSCSi) but I'm seeing a big performance hit compared with the old windows NAS. VM startup is awful, very slow...
  11. R

Best solution for hosting CSV on iSCSI with HA

I'm running a HyperV cluster 2012R2 with a Windows Storage 2012 NAS provisioning iSCSI as the CSV, but for all the availability that the cluster gives me, the amount of times I have to reboot the NAS for windows updates means the cluster is down just as often as a single HyperV host, nothing is...
  12. R

Hyper-V and SR-IOV

I've finally got ASUS to give me a BIOS for the KGPE-D16 motherboard that enables SR-IOV to work with my I350 Quad NIC, and from what I can see it appears to be working, VF's are appearing inside of the guest OS and HyperV Manager report SR-IOV as active. However, how can I confirm? Inside the...
  13. R

R2 Storage Spaces (SSD Caching) or HW RAID

What's the verdict on the new features of Storage Spaces/pools in R2? I'm using a LSI9260i controller currently to handle a 6TB RAID6 array (WD enterprise disks), and a SSD RAID1 Mirror as a boot disk (8 disks total). I have several small SSD's that I would like to find a use for, so does it...
  14. R

Upgrade options for my Opteron 6128

What is a good option for replacing my 6128's? I was considering the 6380 but it is only a .5Ghz increment in frequency, whereas the 6328 is 1.2Ghz frequency improvement. This is for a HyperV host with W2K12 running a mix of OS's. How does the Turbo and Half Turbo work with HyperV, I've yet...