Search results

1. R

8 x SSD drives in a Dell PowerEdge T140 in place of 4 x 3.5 HDDs... Need Y PCIe 6pin adapter

That's a lot neater than my terminal block solution (I see you had some on standby :p), well done.
  2. R

8 x SSD drives in a Dell PowerEdge T140 in place of 4 x 3.5 HDDs... Need Y PCIe 6pin adapter

The easiest solution if you can't find the appropriate adapters and don't want to solder is to use some terminal block to splice the cables you do have in the correct way - this sort of stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Connector-Blocks-Terminal-Strips/dp/B08YYZ9LPL/ Obviously you need...
  3. R

Virtualize or not?

Yes, virtualize. There's very little reason not to nowadays. You basically need to have a very good reason to run physical now IMHO. Hyper-V 2019 is free to use and very full featured. Time comes to upgrade/replace hardware you can move the virtual server with zero downtime.
  4. R

Thoughts on Rome 7262 or 7302P for Workstation Build?

To be clear on this, they only support unbufferred ECC RAM, which is rather more limited in capacity that the other types, and puts a likely maximum of 128gb of RAM on the system (and until recently 64gb). 32gb ECC unbufferred RAM sticks have only started appearing very recently.
  5. R

Hyper-V Server Build Questions

David, you're reading quite a lot into the Exchange 2019 RAM requirements - There's absolutely no way that a organisation with 15 users needs 128gb of RAM for it's Exchange server. It probably doesn't even need that much storage in total. The spec sheet for exchange 2016 quotes 8gb RAM for...
  6. R

Best low power SFP+ cards

I can't recall using a module with it that didn't work to be honest - has been used with Intel sr optics, Avago sr, Cisco DA cables (official and cheap knockoff...), think I recently put one of these dirt cheap prolabs modules in without issue - 5 X Proalabs- EX-SFP-10GE-SR-C SFP 10G Base Fibre...
  7. R

Best low power SFP+ cards

To answer your question, and almost to repeat myself from another thread, Startech have a model based on the Tehuti TN4010 chipset that has very low power requirements, doesn't even feature a heatsink - PCI Express 10G SFP+ Network Adapter Card | Network Adapter Cards | StarTech.com There...
  8. R

any PCIe x4 SFP+ NICs?

Startech have a model based on the Tehuti TN4010 chipset that comes in PCI-E 4x - PCI Express 10G SFP+ Network Adapter Card | Network Adapter Cards | StarTech.com There aren't loads of them floating round dirt cheap on ebay but they are lower power consumption than the old models (don't even...
  9. R

Epyc vs Threadripper for homeserver & NAS

Can't conceive why anyone would need epyc for home to be quite honest, unless their home doubles as hosting for a popular website that needs serious SSD storage back end, or a ridiculous amount of compute power. Nothing listed in the first post justifies it. Anyhow, for work usage have recently...