Search results

1. A

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Search for Brocade 57-0000075-01 - cheap and they support optical monitoring on Brocade switches.
  2. A

Did you end up using the Delta fans? Did you also need to swap ground/tach pins? I'm still looking at options to quiet down the switch a bit, so I went ahead and ordered a pair of the same Delta fans you have. I'm going to try to use baffles and ducting to get more airflow over critical parts of...
  3. A

Looking for suggestions on l2 10g switch

I don't own a CRS317 so I can't speak from experience, but according to Mikrotik's docs (Manual:Switch Chip Features - MikroTik Wiki) the CRS317 should support STP with hardware offloading. As far as I understand this means wire speed switching with STP enabled.
  4. A

Looking for suggestions on l2 10g switch

As far as I know both the 6610-24 and the 6610-48 have the same number of 10GBe (8xSFP+, front accessible) and 40GBe (4xQSFP+, rear accessible, can be split into 4x10GBe using a fan out cable) ports, the difference only being the additional 24 1GBe RJ45 ports the -48 provides. If you only need...
  5. A

I'm also looking at replacing the stock fans, which are a bit loud for living room use. Unfortunately I don't have any 40mm fans left over, so I need to order some. I'm also looking at the Delta fans as an option, but I'd also love to hear opinions about the longevity of the switch when running...
  6. A

@fohdeesha: UPS just dropped off my -24P today. What kind of temperatures are you getting on your 7250s? After 2-3h of idling the management thermal plane on mine reads 62.4C and the POE thermal plane 33.5C. I think I might leave the fan configuration as is if the management plane temperatures...
  7. A

Modding/upgrading Arista switches?

Really interesting stuff! I might have to look into Arista switches if (when) I decide to upgrade to 40GbE. Registered ECC RAM requires chipset/CPU support (usually only supported on higher end server oriented hardware) and doesn't make a ton of sense in a switch management board, so I'm not...
  8. A

Thanks for confirming the pinout (not that I ever doubted you @fohdeesha :p)! I found a Brocade micro-USB cable listed on Ebay for less than $20 shipped, so I don't technically need to build a cable anymore but might anyways due to the adapter hell that is the official console cable kit. The...
  9. A

This was my thinking as well. It's unfortunate Brocade didn't take a page from Cisco's book and just stick an FTDI/USB-UART chip in there, would have made things much easier. My switch probably won't arrive for at least another week and a half, so plenty of time to figure out what to do about...
  10. A

@fohdeesha Good to know, even though it is annoying to have to buy yet another proprietary cable. How essential to the setup process is having a console cable? Are pins 1 and 4 meant to be left unconnected or pulled to the ground? @Skud please let me know if you get console access working with...
  11. A

Just pulled the trigger on a 7250-24P, can't wait for it to arrive! Do you know if the 7250 is also brand agnostic when it comes to SFP+ modules? Cisco 10-2415-03 from China are the cheapest ones available to me at about $7. The brocade modules you linked to above cost $40 each after shiping and...
  12. A

Good to know. Unfortunately though the only place I could fit my lab gear in was the living room, so the switch needs to be very quiet. I wonder if Noctua NF-A4x20s would be enough to keep it running at acceptable temperatures. The NF-A4x20s are very quiet even at full tilt, but will most likely...
  13. A

Does somebody here know how quiet or loud the ICX6450-48P is (at idle or at low loads) compared to the non-POE -48 or the 24 port models? It seems the 48 port POE model has 3 fan grilles in the rear panel instead of just the one all other models have. I'm planning on running 1 maybe 2 POE+ APs...
  14. A

Supermicro X8DT6-F thermal alarm with 2nd CPU in CPU1 socket?

Have you also made sure both CPUs are the same model? The model of both CPUs should be exactly the same in a multi-socket setup. Good to hear that your BIOS updates went smoother than mine did. I used a Bus Pirate and flashrom to manually flash the (thankfully removable) BIOS memory chip. I...
  15. A

Have I understood correctly that the system doesn't boot with just CPU1 installed? If so, it is starting to sound like socket 1 is toast :( I don't think the thermal alarm light actually means something is overheating. I would try examining the socket once more to make sure there are no bent or...
  16. A

Have you tried different a different memory configuration? I had an X8DTE-F (a model very close to yours, I believe they even share the same BIOS) that refused to boot with certain memory configurations when both sockets were populated. Does the system boot with 2 CPUs but no memory in CPU1 slots?
  17. A

(Yet another) SC846 Thread

Modifying the PDB cover is simply a matter of cutting off a small section off the bottom of the cover and shaving down some of the plastic ribs. The cover is made of ABS plastic, so no power tools required (although having a Dremel will speed up things up :)). See the photos for this listing of...
  18. A

(Yet another) SC846 Thread

If you have a 920P-SQ, you might as well get the cheaper -8824 PDB. The 2824 supports high wattage PSUs (1k28P-SQ and up) with the wide connector but to my knowledge doesn't offer much else over the 8824. Also note that the 2824 requires a different PDB cover (although the N24/8824 cover can be...
  19. A

Supermicro PDB-PT846-N24 PSU compatibility

I'm in no rush, in fact I have no use for the system at this time. The spare 846 in question has been sitting unused for for several months now, I thought I might as well turn it into a working system at some point :p Thanks for helping out with this!
  20. A

Supermicro PDB-PT846-N24 PSU compatibility

I already have the 920P-SQ, I might as well use it :) I also like that on the 920P-SQ the PSU fans are not running when the server is powered down, so I can keep the server plugged in (and remotely accessible via IPMI) all the time without it producing unnecessary noise. I did think about...