Search results

1. L

AMD This is EPYC Campaign and AMD EPYC Updates

I'm not even entertaining this, cannot beat years of solid 24/7/365 up time reliability and uptime with Intel platforms. I'd rather pay more per CPU then have to deal with unproven platforms. I have enough work right now don't need random bugs, or even worse.
  2. L

Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

Our ICX-6450-48p are really loud at fire up. then quiet down, and the non P version is even quieter That is definitely peak, and I have never heard one ramp up to full speed
  3. L

Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

This thread is great. I use brocade ICX and VDX fabric switches at work love them. I am interested now in getting one of these in my home lab
  4. L

Scalable Xeons: AMD sure scared Intel into pulling out the big guns

I know I will never have another server without somekind of ipmi in it.
  5. L

Scalable Xeons: AMD sure scared Intel into pulling out the big guns

Intel isn't wrong. When it "glued" them together all communication if I remember had to go through either the memory or chipset. AMD's approach is why Memory Speed is so critical with Zen based CPUs since the "infinity fabric" is the system ram (simplified I know). NUMA aware software isn't is...
  6. L

AD, DHCP, DNS Reconfiguration on my network

With my setup I run my two servers 24/7, some media services etc both on Hyper-V in the event the batteries die the machine are set to restart on power restoration. Since I used windows AD DS, DNS DHCP. I have added DCs to both hosts with DNS servers. (I have 3 DNS servers running) and have DHCP...
  7. L

workstation for 3D Cad & simulations

The Z10PE-D8 WS as the name implies is Workstation oriented board, less server features then other boards, (read less not none). Big question is how multi threaded are your applications? Because a faster Desktop 8 Core i7 can be had with a board for about 200 dollars more, also eschewing away...
  8. L

File Server and Hyper-V

There is no right or wrong way to do that, It is entirely up to you. I personally use VMs with up to two Virtual disks total (OS and File Store). For ease of backup though I might have the filserver OS VM disk also house the data and on one virtual disk. Doesn't really matter. Just make sure...
  9. L

File Server and Hyper-V

I personally like using my Fileservers as VMs makes them portable and easy to move to new hardware and backup as well. If you are need security on file shares a DC is a good thing, but not required. If you visualize the environment the DC and File server would be two different virtual machines...
  10. L

Windows 2016 Hyper-V: Can't create VM without a host reboot.

Is the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service Running after the error appears?
  11. L

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Thanks for this, worked like a champ on my X10DRC-T4+ board and 2U supermicro chassis. i used SM's ipmicfg tool since my system runs windows on the bare metal hardware