Search results

1. F

Cooling the CPU, X11SDV-4C-TLN2F

I don't understand how people are getting such low temps. I have a Noctua CPU fan, have 3 fans on the CPU side of the motherboard - and with 2100 rpm on the cpu I get 44 C. With 1200 it's like 57 C (but way quieter).
  2. F

Please help me understand the fan controls of Supermicro MB's

Exactly. I want also to leave on "Optimal", but only when noise isn't an issue for me. I believe it works beautifully with the Supermicro fan. With the Noctua, not so much - the fan spins much slower, and the CPU doesn't get as much cooling.
  3. F

Never mind, it was worth it. To make a long story short. I realized the noise I was getting was from my Seagate |Ironwolf HDD's. The minute I shut FreeNAS' VM down, the machine went virtually silent. I then put back the Supermicro cooler back to see, and it was louder, but way more efficient...
  4. F

Thanks @TerryPhillips! My fan actually came with the LNA adapter, which I could have used. But I am experimenting a bit with ipmitool to cap it by software.
  5. F

Just did it. I replaced the original fan by a Noctua A6x25 PWM. Not really sure it was worth it. You see, I was using ipmi to reduce the speed of the original fan. I was having it at 2200 rpm. Working nice and all. Now with the Noctua I get a bit less noice, a higher temperature (around 55º C)...
  6. F

Hi there, I just bought a Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F, and I really like it. The active cooler I bought from Supermicro is extremely noisy, though, and I wanted to have it a bit quieter. I read lots of blog posts about setting up the upper and lower threshold of the fan speed via impitools, as...
  7. F

Just got my machine yesterday. While I loved all the capabilities, the original active cooler I bought from Supermicro and had installed by them is just too noisy for me, even setting its speed to optimal. I got no temperature readings under IPMI, so something could be wrong, but I'm trying to...
  8. F

Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F, ESXi, Freenas, passthrough and cooling

I got my machine yesterday, and loved it. I bought an HBA, but won't be using it, since it seems I managed to passthrough one of the SATA controllers. I am not happy with the active cooler that I bought and had installed by Supermicro. Just too noisy, even with the optimal setting. I don't...
  9. F

Thanks! After a lot of back and forth with Supermicro, I got some explanation on how it works: 1 - They don't seem to sell the active cooling for the X11SDV-4C. One has to order it via RMA. 2 - The warranty is void if the user installs the cooler by himself. They do install it for you, no...
  10. F

Ok, guess I’m get a 60mm Noctua then. Any concerns about the plastic frame of the Noctua touching the heat sink? and how quiet is it? Can you hear it at night on the living room? :)
  11. F

Thanks for the article. Gonna get that fan as well, but I have a hunch that installing fans on the top of the case (it takes up to 4 120mm fans on the top) might work. The fan on the back is big and seems to me will push some air through the heat sink, but without swing the case and the...
  12. F

Yup, but I might be making a confusion here. The case I want to buy - the Fractal Design node 804 - has fans. I am planning to install other fans on it. But when I mention active cooling, I was thinking mostly on CPU coolers. What I wonder is, are fans on the case enough, or will I need active...
  13. F

Thanks! did you to adapt it in some form, or does it work right out of the box? Are you sure? Supermicro sells the E300-9D server, on a 1U chassis, without place for active cooling, and I haven't heard of anyone complaining. I was thinking about using the Fractal Design node 804 case, which...
  14. F

thanks a lot! I got an email from Supermicro today. They say that there’s no supported active cooling for the X11SDV-4C-TP8F. So I hope the preinstalled passive heat sync will be enough.
  15. F

Hi there everyone! This is my first post here. I am considering building an ESXi/FreeNAS setup, and after reading a lot, I decided - almost - to buy the Supermicro X11SDV-4c-TP8F. I plan to install it on a Fractal Design 804. My original plan was to get a X11SDV-4C-TLN2F on a Fractal Design...
  16. F

Great thread! I wonder, has anyone tried the passive heatsink from Supermicro (SNK-P0067PS) or one of the active ones, such as the SNK-P0068APS4? I am going for the active one, but if it's too noisy and/or the passive one does a good job on a Fractal Design node 804, so I might go for the...