Search results

1. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Hi friends, My 6610 started spinning up to fan speed 2. It would spin up for 10-30 seconds and slow back down to speed 1 for awhile. Rinse / repeat. It did this for a couple days and I finally got tired of it, so I took off the lid. It had been running for over 300 days in a garage rack, so...
  2. K

18TB Enterprise HDD $424.99

Hi friends, just sharing my experience since I'm reading a some negative Seagate comments here. I have 40 (yeah) Seagate HDDs scattered purchases from the past 5-6 years, ranging from 4 TB up to 16 TB. They are various Ironwolf and Exos models, 4, 8, 10, 12, 16 TB. I have never had a single...
  3. K

Nice Deal $28 - Adaptec ASR-71605 PCI-E 3.0 x8 16 Port SAS Controller

Hopefully my final update on these cards. My third card finally works fine. (Still runs hot even with a noctua fan strapped to it.) One exception - Hard Drive Sentinel 5.70 craps out after about one minute and no longer correctly reports the temperatures. I emailed the developers, and they gave...
  4. K

Flashing stock Mellanox firmware to OEM (EMC) ConnectX-3 IB/Ethernet dual-port QSFP adapter

PCI-E gen 3 is 8 Gb/s per lane, so right there you're down to 32 Gb/s max theoretical. And even then it won't be that high due to a little bit of coding overhead. I don't recommend changing the MTU unless it's a direct computer to computer link. I also recommend being honest with what your NAS...
  5. K

Flashing stock Mellanox firmware to OEM (EMC) ConnectX-3 IB/Ethernet dual-port QSFP adapter

Just a guess, you may have one card in a system's pci-e slot that's only gen 2 x 4 lanes which would net you a max of 16 Gb/s even though the 40Gb link is active.
  6. K

Intel S2600 bit fade memory errors

For posterity: I ran into this problem this week and found an Intel post about it: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000032341/server-products.html How to Resolve the MemTest86 Error on Test 10 What am I seeing? When you run MemTest86 testing software, Intel®...
  7. K

Just a follow up about this seller. I bought one of these cards when it was on sale. I received a card that would not boot - it hung in the firmware initialization. Another fun fact is that the two screws were completely missing that hold on the bbu daughtercard. (I tried to boot the card with...
  8. K

Mellanox-SX6036-36-Ports-QSFP-FDR

Not trying to derail the thread, but the Brocade 6610s will do what you're after (two ports will do 40GbE and up to 16 10GbE ports). Noise might be reasonable for some rooms, but probably not bedroom.
  9. K

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - RDMA

They "half" fixed it. ;-) I have two machines for testing: a) Windows Server 2019 b) Windows 10 Pro Workstation both fully updated as of today Cases: 1) If you're on (b), you can copy a file from the (a) Server machine to (b) and RDMA works. 2) If you're on (a), RDMA does NOT work if you try...
  10. K

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

I bought two of the 800 GB and run them in raid1 in server 19 storage space ReFS. No problems, other than the heat. They are not noticeably faster than plain jane crucial SSDs. If you have available pci-e lanes, I would suggest nvme drives instead. I would not pay a premium for these drives...
  11. K

Adaptec 71605 Corrupt data on Raw drives, UEFI, GPT

Hi all, I have qty 4 of 10 TB individual NTFS drives on this controller. They're nearly full with backup data from other machines. I do not yet know if there is lurking corruption, as I have not yet figured out how to locate which specific file would be at the specific corruption address. And I...
  12. K

Responding to UhClem and TubaMT, UhClem, are you saying that you have no issues? I just want to understand why you disagree with the person that posted the issue in the other thread. I am not taking sides at all - just want to understand your statement. Obviously I would be very glad to hear...
  13. K

Critical firmware bug posted above! UEFI + 8 TB drives or larger = corrupted data Just another reason to toss out this adapter. How many "likes" can I give to you, TubaMT? I would likely have never know this firmware bug without your post. Virtual beer for you!
  14. K

Regarding phantom / duplicate drives in SMART data: I've attached a few pictures to show what we're talking about. I have 19 drives in my system, but HDD Sentinel thinks it has 24. The adaptec card just gives all kinds of incorrect SMART data to the program. In the attached pics, note I...
  15. K

Markess, thanks and confirmed. PDF attached. Too bad Adaptec gives this ridiculous spec that's nearly impossible to verify compliance. They could have actually given a Tj_max like Intel... Especially since their software reports the chip temp. How many of you are like me and can't prove that...
  16. K

Replying to the last two posts... Temps before the 120mm door fan were 62-64 (under load of course). Now sits right at the 55 C "limit". If anyone has tried reapplying the thermal paste, did it make any real difference? Yes, the phantom drives reported definitely screwed up trying to use HDD...
  17. K

Just to report an update... My controller has now run for two weeks straight and hasn't dropped any drives. Have no idea what it crapped out once or twice at the beginning. Possibly related to temp because... I had to add an additional 120 case fan in the door to blow even more air on the card...
  18. K

So I've bought one of these cards and have been experimenting with it over the past couple weeks. Here's my problem: I have 3 ports connected (with breakout cables) to 12 drives. All in straight up HBA mode. One of the ports is connected to 4 Seagate SAS HDDs and they just disappear after...
  19. K

Lenovo ThinkServer SA120 - Rackmount DAS

Yes, it's a bit confusing. You have to pay very careful attention to the big B versus little b's. :-) Unfortunately lots of people intermix them incorrectly. Your chart is nice since it includes the effects of the encoding schemes. Thanks for sharing!
  20. K

Lenovo ThinkServer SA120 - Rackmount DAS

I'm going to make some assumptions in order to reply. Disregard my answer if any assumptions are wrong. - Both cards are pci-e gen 3 x8 - Both slots on your MB are gen 3 and are connected directly to the CPU A gen 3 lane is 8 Gb/s. So in the worst case x4 slot, that's 32 Gb/s. It's more than...