Search results

1. james23

SM part found: SM pcie riser internal pcie slot - (Should card just hang free?)

yes, SM did send me the part, but i cant recall if i had to pay the 108$ or if i got a refund. in the end, the pcie cards that go in this slot and use this bracket (i think) are custom supermicro and need to be a tad unusual size vs standard pcie cards. so i had to use the bracket...
  2. james23

Epyc 7302P & H11SSL-NC Workstation Build: Follow-Up Report

what is the watts draw when running p95 max, on all 32 cores, please? tks
  3. james23

Desktop Build- Supermicro board? (fan control) or asus ROG

excellent replies, thank you all very much. 1- this may sound dumb / old (ie old AMD Opteron vs Xeon days) , but i dont have any experience with AMD (desktop or server) as of yet, and im not sure of compatibility or other issues. that said, this is not the box i want to test/experiment on (as...
  4. james23

Desktop Build- Supermicro board? (fan control) or asus ROG

Im starting to price out parts for a new workstation build as my primary/daily pc- Im ok with getting another (latest gen) asus ROG (republic of gamers) motherboard, while i dont do ANY gaming on this machine, i do like the build quality of these boards, and more importantly that they have...
  5. james23

HGST 1.6TB SAS3 - $140 - HUSMM1616ASS204

FWIW, i have a thread with 8TB HGST SUN/ORACLE sas hdds, which came with 520b sectors- and me (and w help from others on this fourm) tried EVERYTHING to get them to switch to 512b , to no avial. They have been running great on my freenas/zfs setup, but i do loose ~150gb due to the 520b ...
  6. james23

Supermicro X10SRL-F $205 OBO - $120 OBO accepted in qty

FWIW- i bought a X10 SRL-F about a 9mo ago from a different ebay seller, and i too sometimes see the ram slot error on post. Its actually been quite a while since ive seen it, but even with verified good ram (ie memtest many days) and RAM on the boards QVL, i still have seen the SLOT xyz...
  7. james23

[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

not bad :) what are you plans for this box? (ie what OS / hv and use case?) thanks
  8. james23

[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

thanks markess- will keep checking, (as its currently sold out) would really like to get one or 2x of these at this great price!!
  9. james23

adding nvme to X9 board via NVMe HBA (supermicro AOC-SLG3-4X4P )

thanks for the reply / info- that unit is a great find! Does anyone know if that (highpoint-tech SSD6540 4x external nvme enclosure) would work with the AOC-SLG3-4X4P nvme hba? NVMe RAID 4-Bay Enclosures Supports 4x M.2 and 4x U.2 NVMe SSDs Category, Thunderbolt™ 3 to NVMe SSD Adapter Support...
  10. james23

awesome info! thanks alot! 3 questions for my use case: 1- anyone know of a way to get occulink out of the chassis to go to a "nvme diskshelf"? (maybe this is a dead issue tho bc of nvme+cable length, but ie my server is a 4u with 24bay SAS BP, right atop this server, on my rack, i do have...
  11. james23

so im kind of thinking out loud here, but i would really like to make use of some of the pcie lanes on my X9DR3-LN4F+ rev 1.20 , to run a few NVMe drives (u.2 2.5"). I know this board does not support pcie bifuracation, else this would be pretty easy! (ive read the threads where some...
  12. james23

Supermicro X10SL7-F fan control

fwiw- on my 4u 24bay chaisis / x9DR3-LN4f+ , when i set the ipmi fan profile to HEAVY IO , it leaves all the fans at ~3500rpm (which is what all fans are usually at with OPTIMAL or STANDARD fan profile) , Except that is spins up only FAN A to ~7000 RPMs. so based on that i would think FAN A...
  13. james23

1.6tb NVMe to use for L2ARC (zfs)? - have 256g ram

(does my arcstats data show that i really wont benefit from adding a large NVMe l2arc ?) as just one specific example, i notice that sometimes if i run a find command like: find /mnt/ -type d -iname "*7.71*" (or -type f for files) sometimes it will take quite a while to search (10minutes+...
  14. james23

(back instock) - 480g hgst SSD (sas3) - 60-75$ offer accepted!

well some interesting / bad news (possibly bad). While the 21x of these drives i got have been running great, there does seem to be a pretty serious bug / issue with quite a few of them (or maybe with their specific HP firmware). When i run a SMART LONG test, towards the end of the test, the...
  15. james23

1.6tb NVMe to use for L2ARC (zfs)? - have 256g ram

I try very hard to not cross post (ie make same post here as over at the freenas forums), but in this case i feel its important enough to break my "rule"- There is a different perspective/experience level over here on STH forums and i really wanted to get that input on this important question...
  16. james23

Setting all 24x switchports as tagged for 200 x VLANs?

i know my reply above is a bit long winded, so here is a more direct post of my follow up question: does a trunk port pass ALL vlans (ie 0-4096) OR only all vlans *used/created on that specific switch?* ie: if i have switch A making use of only vlan 50, and switch B making use of only vlan...
  17. james23

Thanks for all the replies, I should have been a bit more clear, there are 10x switches at this property, in a flat network config (ie all in default vlan0), however every AP is in router mode (ruckus calls this gateway mode- ie each AP is doing NAT and dhcp-server to its WLAN interfaces)...
  18. james23

Main Question: should I expect any performance hit from enabling 210x tagged VLANs on ALL 24x ports of a switch (or alternatively setting ALL 24x ports as trunk ports) background / equipment: We have a install with 10 x netgear 24-port switches, into which are plugged 200x ruckus 7372 access...
  19. james23

8TB Sun/hgst drive showing as 7.9TB (and not 8.0TB like others)

Thanks for all the replies / help. It does still look like the drive is showing reduced capacity (ie still ~7.9tb , exactly like before , after running: sg_format -v --format --size=512 --fmtpinfo=0 --pfu=0 /dev/da44 (still shwoing 7.9tb) so i then did a quick wipe via freenas gui (still...
  20. james23

8TB Sun/hgst drive showing as 7.9TB (and not 8.0TB like others)

Unbelievable that you picked that out from all the data i posted... but i think you have nailed it! I should know in about 20 (!) hours and will def. update back here. Even if it does not accomplish what i need, that has to be the issue im seeing. Im actually pretty sure that smartctl -a...