Search results

1. U

Supermicro 846 chassis

@nthu9280 I know the SC846 has a reputation for being friendly to modders, especially those who want to make a "very quiet" server with lots of storage. That is, either a NAS or a file server. I would love to get an 846 and do an experiment. I have excellent hearing and am very sensitive to...
  2. U

Looking for the correct (Intel branded) drive cage to match Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P

@nthu9280 you are awesome!! Thank you for writing down the details of this information that I really, really, ..., really need! This brings me several steps closer to having this system configured properly. Precise and accurate information about this stuff needs checking in general, you can't...
  3. U

Quietest "NAS HDD's" for home NAS

Thank you @Spartacus . I wasn't looking to replace the WD Reds, just to tune them, if possible, to be less noisy. Is this feasible? I have 4x WD Red 3 TB HDD's, about 12-16 WD Re and Gold 4 TB (SAS and SATA) HDD's too, and 4x HGST He 8 TB HDD's too (although these are marked to go to colo)...
  4. U

1U Server w/Supermicro X9 Board & Fans Switch

What chassis are these? I am also interested in quietening my X9SCM-F based systems ( chassis https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/1U/811/SC811TQ-350B ). What has worked so far with your chassis?
  5. U

Quietest "NAS HDD's" for home NAS

Hi all, I currently have a U-NAS 800 that I am working on provisioning for our home NAS, to go in to the living room. Controller is Supermicro A1SRi-2758F mini-ITX board. I am considering 8x WD Red SATA 8TB or higher. I already have four in storage but they make a clicky clicky noises that...
  6. U

Looking for the correct (Intel branded) drive cage to match Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P

I'm interested @T_Minus . What are the model codes of the Intel NVMe NIB kits? Do you know if the cages are compatible with the SM AOC-SLG3-4P2E HBA's?
  7. U

Thank you for the reply @nthu9280 ! It is difficult to determine which Intel disk cage hardware can function on its own, i.e., it can interface with the Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P, and which Intel disk cage hardware kits function only when the kit is installed as a whole. I have read the Ark...
  8. U

Hello all! There has been a LOT of discussion about this particular issue during the last year of so. The issue... The Supermicro AOC-SLG3-4E2P x8 PCI-e card, with quad port OCuLink and PLX switch, is a wonderful HBA in theory, enabling access to NVMe storage devices. Coincidentally the...
  9. U

SC523L-520b PWS-521-1H alternatives

Have you worked on any of your ideas yet? Have you considered using an -SQ PSU instead, which should be significantly more quiet?
  10. U

Alternatives to Supermicro for PSU's and power distribution circuits?

I've heard mixed opinions about Chenbro based on other people's experiences, but many of them have been great. One day when I need a (cheaper) chassis for an experimental system I'll invest in one. Yes. After spending a LOT of time trying to determine the cause of power problems in my...
  11. U

I like Seasonic PSU's in general very much. My chassis is Supermicro, and I like the form factor very much: SC747TG-R1400B-SQ | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. Unfortunately the power distribution circuitry (PDU) in this chassis isn't great, so I'm presently jumping...
  12. U

Hello! Recently I've had trouble caused by Supermicro power distribution units (PDU's) and power supplies (PSU's). Very few are bad, but when they are bad they are truly terrible. Unfortunately I'm working through a problem with a PDU right now. It has taken a long time to isolate the cause...
  13. U

Fractal Design Define 7 / 7 XL for Desktop Form Factor Storage Chassis

These look... awesome. Thank you for posting, @ReturnedSword !! I'm mainly interested in cases that can hold E-ATX and SSI-EEB mainboards, and the FD Define 7 XL is looking particularly sweet. Such a chassis is excellent for a powerful workstation. I wonder how much acoustic dampening or...
  14. U

Quad NVMe Drive Cage like this (ICY DOCK) one?

Yes, those comments on the website and the links, FAQ, etc, are fairly recent additions, IIRC. I was wondering, however, if the Supermicro cables have some special wiring at the green-marked end as a mitigation for these kinds of issues. I've been asking around, but I think the correct...
  15. U

Connecting quad-port Supermicro NVMe HBA to IcyDock mobile rack NVMe backplane?

Thank you @Rand__ ! I literally just came across your reply, and I haven't even tried to provision my intended solution yet. I have the HBA and the mobile rack, but I don't have the cables yet. I'm wondering whether to put this part of the project on hold for a while... I will email them too...
  16. U

Quad NVMe Drive Cage like this (ICY DOCK) one?

How does the MB699VP-B compare ( MB699VP-B_ToughArmor Series_U.2/M.2 (SATA/PCIE NVME) ENCLOSURES OR KITS_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure )? I am...
  17. U

It's not merely a simply cage because it has a backplane on it that is supposed to conform to the SFF-8643 connector standard. If IcyDock have implement non-standard connnectors and then called them something else then that would not be good enough. I'm going to leave it alone now and get on...
  18. U

Do you have a link to the review? I assume that @William's review used the same IcyDock with a different but unspecified AIC. I searched using the AOC model code as the search key and got nothing back. I searched using the IcyDock model code and got @William's review, but the review was...
  19. U

Hopefully... I'm holding thumbs and touching wood... my long-planned installation of these four U.2 SSD's into my workstation will work out in the end: 4x Intel P3605 1.6 TB NVMe U.2 2.5" SSD's I did a LOT of research, and I read a LOT of reviews, before settling on my planned configuration...