Search results

1. M

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Thanks! Saved me some digging. You're right of course, overkill on a NUC. But, if I happened to want to use it as a backup server and already had ECC SODIMMs laying around that I couldn't find a use for...... :)
  2. M

Memory upgrade

Yes...this ^
  3. M

X10SRW-F: $60 OBO

Dang. I need to rethink how I search. That's the second time I've seen this seller accept ~half or less on a BO. I'd just bought a different LGA 2011 board from someone else the night before to replace a dead board in a home backup box, and paid a lot more than $60 even with some OBO...
  4. M

X10SRW-F: $60 OBO

Comes up $149 when I follow the link? Are you saying they took $60?
  5. M

X7SPA is stupid expensive on Ebay for some reason, just like a lot of other SM ITX models seem to be. I've been shopping for ITX boards that will take ECC RAM and and I keep seeing listings for them (being D510, they don't take ECC of course) ATM, the cheapest X7SPA bare board on Ebay (US) is...
  6. M

Advice for any dual LGA2011 (C602) motherboard working with ATX PSU

Did you pick something yet? I've been researching myself to assemble a new backup server, and like you I had LGA2011 compatible parts on hand. I didn't need dual processor, but found that, at the moment at least, many dual processor boards seem to be going for less than single on Ebay, and I...
  7. M

Does anyone know if any of these (or other similar small footprint) take ECC RAM? I 've been wading through specs looking for likely candidates, but thought I'd ask if someone knew off the top of their heads.
  8. M

Nice Deal $28 - Adaptec ASR-71605 PCI-E 3.0 x8 16 Port SAS Controller

I didn't know how to approach this either originally. But, I'd seen the "200 LFM" specification with other cards (usually buried deep in the documentation), going all the way back to LSI SAS2008 based ones. Since the specification has been around for a while, for both LSI and Adaptec, others...
  9. M

I don't think you can convert LFM directly to CFM? Its depndent on the size of your fan and/or duct the air is going through. LFM is flow rate past a point, and CFM is volume of the flow. To determine CFM you need to have the other dimension(s) of the column of air that's flowing past the...
  10. M

Tyan S5620WGM2NR $70 @Amazon US (one available)

Only one in stock @Amazon US. Amazon.com: TYAN S5620WGM2NR S5620 Computer Motherboards: Computers & Accessories Not an exact 1:1 feature match, but it may be an option for anyone who missed out on the SM X10SRH-CF deal a while back...
  11. M

Motherboards that use unbuffered DDR3 ECC SODIMMs? Pricing Compared to ITX w/ ECC UDIMM

Were the motherboards that used unbuffered DDR3 ECC SODIMMS always so much more expensive than other ITX Boards that used ECC UDIMMS, or have they just held their value better, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones? I wound up buying ECC SODIMMs by mistake for a planned build. The price was...
  12. M

Move from dual cpu server to single cpu to reduce power consumption

If I understand correctly, your primary concern is idle power consumption? If so, your gains will be limited with the Intel E5 v2 platform. There's a lot of good advice out there on how to limit power draw under load, but for idle consumption you have fewer options and it looks like most of...
  13. M

Are these air temperatures or chip temperatures? I ask because, as another forum member helpfully pointed out to me in a different thread, Adaptec/Microsemi specifies that the 55C limit for this adapter is: "Ambient temperature measured 1" away from the RAID processor ." Its not the...
  14. M

Dual v2 Server Build Questions/Advice sought

You don't mention if its a PCIe adapter for multiple drives, or a simple adapter for a single drive. If its for multiple drives, @itronin covered it above. If its a single drive adapter and you're handy, you can probably take a dremel/saw to it and cut it down to fit an x8 slot. Single drive...
  15. M

eBay - Extra 20% off for 4th of July

There's one Nvidia GPU I saw, Quadro M4000 for $325 (before discount). But I'm not following that sort of thing right now, so have no idea if its a bargain or not.
  16. M

1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

I'd be interested to know how your temps are in use. You've got your fan set to pull air through the heatsink. The times I've put a fan on an HBA/RAID heatsink, I've had the fans push instead. Maybe I've been going about it the wrong way. :)
  17. M

3U Supermicro CSE-836TQ Chassis (No caddies and shroud) $145 OBO

Okay, that search string is really handy, thanks! I can't speak for definitively, but for some reason the HP adapters didn't work in my SM chassis. They worked everywhere else (Dell, Chenbro, etc.), just not in my SM. I've got no idea why, and its probably just me, which is sad because they...
  18. M

3U Supermicro CSE-836TQ Chassis (No caddies and shroud) $145 OBO

Yeah, this is a good use case for a 16 port HBA/RAID card. At least its "pre-wired" for anyone that can use SFF-8087 connectors. Trying to route and secure all those individual data cables sucks mightily...unless you pull the midplane structure out...which also sucks mightily.
  19. M

New Server Build

I can't say from first hand experience, but I do curate (and pay for a lot of) the hardware on my son's PC, so I've learned a lot though association. He's not at the pinnacle of gaming, but he's good enough to get asked sidekick for "pro" gamers on occasion for their streaming sessions. So...