Search results

1. J

Underclock Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F m/b to use passive heatsink

I currently use above motherboard, with Core i3-4160T. Though the processor is already at only 35W TDP, still, since I put it in a 1U rackmount chassis of Supermicro, I have to use a Dynatron blower type fan. I need help to underclock my m/b, processor, to make it super silent. My thoughts...
  2. J

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

Thanks Marjan. I thought there are other alternatives. What is Rancher OS or Kubernetes?
  3. J

I may get a few Atom Rangeley or Denverton appliances. I believe these devices may be good for Docker, but how do you install them baremetal?

I may get 2 unused devices (previous firewalls) using Rangeley or Denverton. I am thinking how do I use these devices baremetal? My only expierience using Docker is running it off Unraid, and it's been pretty easy. Is there a way to get Docker running in these low powered devices? Preferably...
  4. J

Qnap low powered NAS for virtualization

Hi all. Long time user of Unraid NAS. I am wondering how Qnap low powered NAS can do virtualization, specially if they are ARM powered. In Unraid, if my processor is powerful enough, you can create a gaming VM, with GPU passthrough. For Qnap low powered NAS, are they talking about the same...
  5. J

Unifi AP Vlan pass through basic POE+ switch to Sophos Firewall

@coxhaus Re-reading your comment, you seem to say the POE switch the APs are plugged into also need to support VLAN 802.1Q (VLAN Aware) to be able to pass the tagging to the switch (in my case, the Cisco SG500) with tagging, then finally, to Sophos Firewall, which is also VLAN Aware. Is this...
  6. J

So vlan tagging done on Sg300-28 only?
  7. J

Hi. I plan to buy a TP-Link TL-SG1005LP POE+ switch for use with my 2, soon to become 3 Unifi APs. https://www.tp-link.com/ph/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg1005lp/ Currently, I have 2 Unifi APs (with 3 SSID each on their own Vlan). that connect to 2 ports on my Cisco SG500 switch...
  8. J

Is it possible to future-proof any NAS with Docker containers on SBC

Yes, Raspberry Pis, Odroids, get Docker to start at bootup, and have all of the containers on multiple devices such as these. Each SBC hosts 2 or 3 containers, depending on how much power each container requires. If multiple containers on an SBC, and the SBC only has a single Gigabit, is...
  9. J

Any ideas? If it's doable, I may start looking for old 8 bay Synology Diskstations :D
  10. J

Long Generic Test Fail (Seatools), can it be fixed by "fix all long?"

@ajs , Thanks. What utility do I use to do the default "destructive write/ read test? I use Unraid, and I can use a preclear script, if you are familiar with it. I got that running, it's my 2nd day, with 2 passes.
  11. J

EXPIRED (used) Seagate Exos Enterprise 8 TB, 7200 RPM, 85 USD 4 units and up

:D. I leaved it be :D. 1 out of 4 has errors with LBA after long generic test though. I made another thread here. I have since bought 2 more same model, 80 USD best offer was accepted for each unit. It had a shipping cost of 10 USD. I currently have 6 units of 8 TB SATA Exos. Hope the...
  12. J

Long Generic Test Fail (Seatools), can it be fixed by "fix all long?"

I have LBA errors after performing Long Generic Test on my 8 TB Exos I bought from Ebay. But is says passed. I did a "Fix All Long," and it finished. I did another Long Generic Test, and no more LBA errors were found/ reported. Does this mean it's as good as new? Or was it just masked?
  13. J

Seagate Exos 8 TB SATA, 3 left. Seller accepted 80 USD offer for 2 units

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-ST8000NM0055-1RM112-8TB-7-2K-SATA-6Gbps-3-5-HDD-Hard-Drive-Grade-B/353400970040?epid=4031084662&hash=item524856db38:g:PC8AAOSwhWZgOR74 Good luck for those interested :D
  14. J

Hi. Just a thought. I see those Synology Diskstations and always find them very attractive, EXPENSIVE, and UNDERPOWERED :-). To be fair, they sure look good. Since a lot of people have one, I think they must be doing a pretty good job. One of the concerns though is since they are NAS...
  15. J

So if you find out the drives aren't on the latest firmware, is it best to upgrade the firmware of the hard drive before using? Or do hdd firmwares follow the usual rule, if it's not broken, don't fix it?
  16. J

@kfonda , Thanks! I haven't gotten mine, as I'm outside US. But thank you for telling me their dates. I never thought that I can register them, as I thought most of them would have been out of warranty by now. I can only hope mine are the same, I can get them registered. One thing I'm...
  17. J

SATA HDD Deals on ebay, do you still consider whether HDD made for NAS, desktop, Archive?

Yup. Even I was so tempted to get my hands on SAS drives. Enterprise, and cheap :D. I always had this notion that spin down will save me a lot of electricity. I tested it right now with 7 drives spun down, and turned it all up. wattage used increased by 50 watts. If there are plenty of...
  18. J

Bought myself a few, for NAS storage.
  19. J

They are used drives. Are we supposed to expect them to be under warranty? I'm from out of US, so pretty much the warranty won't be of use to me. If it's not working properly, that's money down the drain for me, rather than a return to seller.